Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2013 Civic VSA/ABS/Power Steering Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Civic VSA/ABS/Power Steering Nightmare!

A month ago my Honda's VSA/ABS/ Power Steering light all came on at the same time. I took it to a local mechanic, who said it was a wheel speed sensor code. He replaced the wheel speed sensor. It did not fix the problem. He then replaced the wheel bearing and hub. It did not fix a problem. Then he said he was running a slave wire up to the module. This did not work. In hindsight, he should have never done this. At the end of 3 days, he said he couldn't fix the problem and I had to take it to a dealership.

No this car was not a rebuild, and the warranty was not transferable. Even if it was, they only last until 60,000, and my car is at 75k.

This is what the Dealership Diagnosis reads:

"VSA/ABS/Power Steering Lights on; Left rear speed sensor, left rear wheel bearing was replaced, but light remained on and original bearing was installed, straight wire was installed from rear to modulator.....Initial Diagnosis revealed Codes 7-11 and 15-11 In the electronic control module, left and right wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction. Further diagnosis revealed wiring harness to system cut and spliced in a attempt to repair the issue. Recommend replacing wiring harness to start -$1448.21 plus tax, then recheck for additional issues."

So basically they told me they will not work on the car until the wire harness is replaced, and that probably won't even begin to fix the issue. If the ABS module is also broken, I'm looking at a $5000 bill for a car probably only worth $8,000. I am infuriated with the local mechanic who spliced in his own wire, as that is now preventing all the dealerships in my area to work on my car without a brand new wire harness, which probably isn't the issue with car.

This is a nightmare. I was not expecting a $5000 bill for a car I've had for 2 years.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2013 Civic VSA/ABS/Power Steering Nightmare!

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/auto...modulator-scat

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...lator&_sacat=0

I've replaced a modulator on my civic. You just take off a few lines and a couple bolts, swap in the new one, using a 10 mm flare wrench and then bleed the system entirely. Using a vacuum pump makes quick work of bleeding. Takes maybe 15 minutes each wheel, including pulling the wheels and reinstalling.

Replacing the wire harness is stupid. The dealer loves just adding on things to do. Not sure why they are quoting $5000 to replace the modulator unless there is something special needed to program afterwards, but even then, $5000 is absurd. You can pick up a Bishko shop manual from rockauto in the literature section of your car and see if it's needed to reprogram something afterwards. I don't even know exactly what car you have.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:04 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2013 Civic VSA/ABS/Power Steering Nightmare!

I'm not that handy, and I worry I Would screw up the job. I have a 2013 Honda Civic LX, and I read that you really need Honda software to do the job right. I'm scared I would botch it bad.