Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ABS Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Sensor

I'm looking for confirmation of my findings and a source. Have a 1992 Honda Civic EX.

Symptoms: ABS Light goes off when car is first started. As you exit the driveway and start rolling the ABS light comes on.

I've checked the fuses and all are GOOD.

I've jumped the service connector and got a code of 4 8. My charts tell me that is the driver side (Left) rear wheel Sensor.

I pulled the wheel and removed the sensor and checked it for damage and found none. I cleaned it and the filthy ring and reassembled. Still getting ABS.

Next I confirmed that the wire from the control, to the trunk was good.

Next I used an OHM meter on the lead to the left rear wheel sensor and found it open, no reading what so ever. I tried the right rear wheel sensor lead and the OHM spiked indicating it was closed.

I am now assuming that I need to replace that Left Rear Wheel Sensor. Can someone else confirm this.

If so, I'm not at all happy with the prices for a simple sensor. Outside of e-bay or discount auto parts dealers on line or my local Advanced, Pepe Boys or Auto Zone, where can I get one of these on the cheap?

Thanks...
Hondaman
Old 09-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ABS Sensor

Thanks for the overwhelming response... Oh wait a minute. :O)

Just in case someone comes across this post with a similar problem and/or questions, I'll post my results.

The diagnosis was correct. I ordered an aftermarket LR wheel sensor from Amazon. They offered the same item as just about everyone else for $115 with free shipping and an unconditional return guarantee. Most sellers on E-Bay said 14 day or 30 day returns, but in the fine print said no returns on electrical items which this is, so I went with Amazon.

One word of caution. The swap is very easy except that you have to remove the lower strut bolt to remove and install the sensor. The sensors cable has metal shields attached to the wire which will not fit through the small opening at the bottom of the strut. If this bolt has not been removed recently it is almost assured that it is seized to the bushing. If you do not have a torch, you will be stuck with no way to remove the bolt. My solution was to just cut the old harness and remove the faulty sensor. I then carefully removed the two large shields on the connector end of the new sensor harness, and installed the harness from the hub side in and then reattached the shields carefully after I had the harness through the opening under the strut. Another tip, be sure to attach a piece of strong string or fishing line to the connector in the trunk before you push it and the plug down and out. This allows you to attach the string to the new connector and pull it up into the trunk.

This part fixed my ABS light issue as the codes indicated.

Hondaman