Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2010 civic si alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2010 civic si alignment issue

Everyone with this problem needs to call honda Canada at 1 888 9 honda 9 so honda can document the problems so they can make proper changes. I called and documented my case but everyone needs to do it otherwise nothing will get done.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I also had issues with my 09 Si pulling to the right. My previous car had so much give in the steering wheel that when I first took my 09 Si for a spin I hardly noticed it. Not till a month into driving did I really notice that I was always trying to fight it. I thought maybe it had to do with the roads I was driving on or maybe my tire pressure was low.

I had taken my 09 Si back to the dealership for a few things right from the start, but each time the alignment had slipped my mind. It wasn't till I took a decent road trip and my wrist started hurting from fighting the pull did I call them and schedule an appointment. To get my wheels rotated and balanced with an alignment from the dealership ran me about $180. Now she drives mostly straight. There are still times I find it ever so slightly pulling to the right, and it also seems (to me) that turning or banking to the right is easier than to the left.

After getting it aligned they gave me the paper work and it showed my front right and back right wheels were off.

Also, I've brought this up a few times while at the dealership, but they haven't been able to reproduce the noise. Let’s say I am making a "slow" u-turn or trying to turn into a tight parking spot at low speeds. I notice that sometimes at verrry low speeds when I turn all the way left or right, I will here this pop noise. I'm not sure what could be causing that noise, or if this has anything to do with my car pulling to the right.

The other noise I can't seem to identify, anytime I come to a complete stop, 3 seconds after stopping I'll here a ping noise, coming from the center of the car, under the dash, probably around the gear box or to the right of it. I know it's not the breaks, sometimes I can come to a stop, let off the breaks and cost to a stop and it will still make that pop noise.

I had my clutch replaced through warranty already. My original clutch that came with the car started to squeak anytime the temp would rise above 65F while letting it out.

Other than that it's been a smooth ride.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BakerIsBored
Also, I've brought this up a few times while at the dealership, but they haven't been able to reproduce the noise. Let’s say I am making a "slow" u-turn or trying to turn into a tight parking spot at low speeds. I notice that sometimes at verrry low speeds when I turn all the way left or right, I will here this pop noise. I'm not sure what could be causing that noise, or if this has anything to do with my car pulling to the right.
I get this too.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM
Trial User

About a month ago I traded in my 08 Ex coupe for an 07 Si Sedan. This last weekend I took it in for an alignment because it was pulling to the right.

After getting camper,caster,toe to spec the car still pulls to the right and is VERY crown road sensitive.

It sounds like this is really common on the Si. Not sure what to do now...
Old 04-26-2010, 12:45 PM
99r
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by yoyosupmang
to be real here, does it really matter? Just being straight up here but i like to keep my hands on the steering wheel at all times. Yea mines an 07 and it pulls to the right a little bit but there is so many factors. The road being crooked, the weight of the driver, etc. Some even say its a saftey feature for when you fall asleep on the highway, it will pull you to the right and hit those loud road bumpy things to wake you up. If that happens i rather hit a ditch than rear end someone going highway speeds.
Lol what about when your on the inside lane and the bumpy things are to your left buddy.

Then you got 3-4 lanes of cars to cross to wake you up.

haha
Old 04-26-2010, 01:21 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

suggestion - find a single lane road...a road that has one lane each way. if the road is one where you car pulls to the right, you might want to drive on the left side (wrong way) and see if the car goes to the left. typically roads will be canted to drain water, etc so if the car is sensitive to that cant on the right, i should be on the left.

only do this in a safe manner, obviously. don't do it when there is traffic or danger.

for what it's worth, i've had two 07 sis. one was lemoned and did this. the next one is what my wife currently has and hers does it. the car has been aligned at honda to no avail.

i've found a mild solution with little downside is to simply run about a 5 psi differential in the right vs. left. you car might need more or less, depending on the tires, alignment, suspension, etc. the wear will be negligible and it'll help keep the car from drifting right. the downside will show if you are on a totally flat or left canted lane, but that for most people is a very tiny percentage of the time.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know a car pulling can drive you crazy. sometimes its nothing , but its hard to not let it drive you crazy.

Unless you have a tire problem, it is almost always related to camber and toe. It is not related to your LSD. You may get a little tourqe steer on hard acceleration with a helical LSD. That is normal and just means the car is telling you it is looking forward to cornering hard .

If your problem is absoloutly consistant ( all or most surfaces and on a flat road ) you may have a little alignment issue. One thing to keep in mind is the alignment specs that Honda may be using. Im not sure what they use for front toe, but if it is set towards the outer most toe specification, it will "wander" more. Also if your front wheels are not cambered corectly ,,,,,,that is they are within specs, but mabey the right side cambered a little on the verticle side of the spec,,,,, and the left side a little toward the negative side of the camber,,, that would make the car turn right. So the car can be in spec and turn right.

Well seeing as it is a new car the dealer should fix it.

However if it drove me crazy i would want to have dialogue with the alighnment shop that is doing the work. Some are really good. Some only know how to get the car within spec.

Find out what the specs are. have them put the front wheels toward the "toe in" side of the spec.

Correct any camber issues . and if there are none, a sharp alignment guy can give a little camber on one side ( tiny amounts ) and less on the other to correct any turning tendencys. Some cars just wander more than others.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Trial User

So I went with 39PSI in my right hand tires and 33 in my left side tires on Continental ContiSportContact3s.

After a short highway drive this poor hack of a fix seems to have done the trick. I'll find out more on my 35 mile commute home from work tonight.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:46 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by corSi
So I went with 39PSI in my right hand tires and 33 in my left side tires on Continental ContiSportContact3s.

After a short highway drive this poor hack of a fix seems to have done the trick. I'll find out more on my 35 mile commute home from work tonight.
i know it's crazy! pretty ghetto but it can cure things temporarily until you find a perm-solution. it's very possible you'll forget about it in a few days. the problem is if you end up driving in a passing lane for any extended time on certain roads, esp two laners since the cant can be pretty aggressive.

i tend to agree that there is probably some specialized aligning that can be done to help combat the natural propensity the car has to wander. i probably should have pushed a little more when we first got the car to experiment a bit with it.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Trial User

I'm glad the 07 Si's dont have TPMS as I'm sure this would light up the dash!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just paid $100 at big-o-tires to get my alignment fixed due to this, only to find out I paid $100 for a 1/32" change in camber, and a tiny amount of toe in the front. I thought maybe that was all it needed, but no it didn't really make a difference. Although, I forgot about it until right now as I am so used to having to hold the steering wheel from turning right.

so many problems with this car.
first 3rd gear, then 2nd, then my master cylinder, now this. facepalm to the max
Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Mattgrimes
just paid $100 at big-o-tires to get my alignment fixed due to this, only to find out I paid $100 for a 1/32" change in camber, and a tiny amount of toe in the front. I thought maybe that was all it needed, but no it didn't really make a difference. Although, I forgot about it until right now as I am so used to having to hold the steering wheel from turning right.

so many problems with this car.
first 3rd gear, then 2nd, then my master cylinder, now this. facepalm to the max
clutch master cylinder? i'm curious because mine is starting to make a bunch of noise and rough feedback.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Trial User

Would the clutch master cylinder be part of the drive train under the 60K warranty?