Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

2007 Si - Autocross impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Si - Autocross impressions

yeah my FA5's steering is quick, but a little numb compared to my 94 Si hatch.
It actually reminds me of the B15 SpecV.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2008fijibluesi
I have never heard of it, but judging by the fact he quoted me...it might mean that the power steering is really only "on" when you need it (aka turning the wheels at a stop). It doesn't draw power when you are moving, thus freeing up some extra power.

This was just a guess so try not to laugh too hard if I am completely wrong lmao.
I can't believe you guys have never heard of it! Yes, I did quote you to bring up the point that your thought is out there.

Back in the day, my dad's '87 Accord had variable power assist. The new accord has it as well. It's very obvious that the steering feels overassisted when moving at parking lot speeds, but then it becomes heavier as you increase speed.

As for freeing up power, it doesn't work that way. When I did an H22a swap into an Accord, I noticed that the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) was very strange compared to the ones that you normally see. It has ports for fluid. I realized that this was the component that drove the variable power assist. Somehow, it effects the fluid returning to the pump (it was composed of low pressure lines). Hmm...I wonder how difficult it would be to adapt to a standard power steering setup (thiking about my hatchback for this idea).

Like I said, with an electric motor driving the power steering, it seems like it would be relativey simple to develop a drive that can change the level of assist with respect to speed.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who here read the FF Honda Battle in Super Street? Basically a showdown between B powered and K powered cars.

The two 8th gens that competed were mildly modded and didn't blow away the competition but they did pick up some complements. Biggest thing they said about both was that the car throws around easily and has great transition. The sedan picked up kudos for the high speed stability. Both ran with 209whp and were easily the fattest cars in the competition.

I can imagine that if you put some time into tuning an 8th gen it would shock lots of people. Then use Flashpro to correct the throttle hang and help out the throttle response some. Ohh and unhook the power steering, this would created more feedback if it's that big a deal to the driver.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the 8th gen does transfer weigh really well when you throw it around.
i like when it feels like its steering with rear.
i think thats a big improvement over the ep3.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rileyrat
Who here read the FF Honda Battle in Super Street? Basically a showdown between B powered and K powered cars.

The two 8th gens that competed were mildly modded and didn't blow away the competition but they did pick up some complements. Biggest thing they said about both was that the car throws around easily and has great transition. The sedan picked up kudos for the high speed stability. Both ran with 209whp and were easily the fattest cars in the competition.

I can imagine that if you put some time into tuning an 8th gen it would shock lots of people. Then use Flashpro to correct the throttle hang and help out the throttle response some. Ohh and unhook the power steering, this would created more feedback if it's that big a deal to the driver.
Withouth question...the 8th gen is a very capable car. As I mentioned, it wouldn't take much to make it a very potent car. I also believe that you could build a potent Si without comprimising its civility either.

I was under the impression that the Flashpro has no adjustments for the DBW...unless I misunderstood the FAQ on their site. Please elaborate.

Other than the one hater who doesn't think the Si is a fast car...which I don't even understand why you bought one if you think so ill of it...the Si is not going win many drag races...but who cares? The setup gives you plenty of power to compliment the handling. A great handling car is more fun than a straight line fast car any day. I managed to put away a few "fast" cars with my bone stock Si when I autocrossed it.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 AM

P2R throttlebody spacer helps alot with the DBW lag
Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the process of developing my car 08' Si coupe for STX and it doesn't take much for the car to change drastically. With only a few minor tweaks here and there the balance changes significantly and it can lay down some pretty quick times.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Road House

Increase the power by 50hp/50tq, and throw a decent suspension on there and you're good to go.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civicgsr
Whoops! Sorry about that. I did read it...but forgot about it after reading the rest of the posts.

I actually prefer ABS for racing. My '94 Si is ABS equipped. It's nice to just pile on the brakes especially if you end up in a panic on the course, and avoid flat spotted tires. There's an entire argument about ABS vs non-ABS for racing but the guys that I race with that do not have ABS keep loosing to me

Now comparing the ABS on my '07 Si vs my '94 Si...the cycling rate is SIGNIFICANTLY faster on the newer civic...
now here i disagree with you I love my 93 si for auto xing and love the fact that it does not have ABS. Never did like the feel of ABS under hard braking part of the reason I was so reluctant to buy a new car with all the bells and wistles. But time has finally caught up with the old girl and rust is killing her. So after 16 years it was time. I am really looking forward to getting the 09 out on the track next year and seeing what the car can do
Old 10-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been autocrossing for 11 years and have done very well with it.
Wouldn't you say it's time to start doing some HPDE? I always viewed autocross as an entry level to higher forms of racing. Now that you have mastered autocross, I'd say it's time to move on.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kidnkorner
Wouldn't you say it's time to start doing some HPDE? I always viewed autocross as an entry level to higher forms of racing. Now that you have mastered autocross, I'd say it's time to move on.
I've attended a few HPDE events and try head to the local track during open track time for fun. The problem with these types of events is the cost and the vehicle wear and tear. I managed to crack a valve guide after a few hours of track time (20 minutes sessions, not continuous) the last time I was out there.

We have guys that have been autocrossing for 30-40 years in our area that still do it. I think one guy is in his 70's! He looks like a feeble old man, but then takes his Caymen and consistently sets one of the top three times at our events. I see their skill and see that I have a lot to learn. If anything, moving to a more powerful car would be the step up. I've also seen guys that have moved from HPDE or some form of club racing, to autocrossing because of cost.

I would love to slip into Honda Challenge or SCCA club racing but the cost of it keeps me away.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
now here i disagree with you I love my 93 si for auto xing and love the fact that it does not have ABS. Never did like the feel of ABS under hard braking part of the reason I was so reluctant to buy a new car with all the bells and wistles. But time has finally caught up with the old girl and rust is killing her. So after 16 years it was time. I am really looking forward to getting the 09 out on the track next year and seeing what the car can do
I have no problem with the pulsating brake pedal I would imagine that disabling ABS is as simple as pulling the main fuse for the system...however, it may not be as simple with he new BUS system in the newer hondas.

Your comment about "bells and whistles" is kind of funny since my 15 year old civic has ABS
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no problem with the pulsating brake pedal Your comment about "bells and whistles" is kind of funny since my 15 year old civic has ABS
ah you do have one of the more odd SIs being that it has factory abs. they were also radio delete,Ac was a dealer installed item, had no power windows or door locks at least in the si I know the ex had power windows and door locks. Think about it just to list a few things that the new si has that are bells and wistles low fuel light, power door locks and windows, radio/navi, AC, drive by wire, oil life indicator, tpms, vsc, ect and the car has become a great deal bigger and more portly over the years part of it because of added safty features. Okay maybe you could take off the ac, power windows and door locks as being bells and whistles seeing as how today they are standard on almost all makes and models of cars.

Last edited by instructor74; 10-12-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by instructor74
ah you do have one of the more odd SIs being that it has factory abs. they were also radio delete,Ac was a dealer installed item, had no power windows or door locks at least in the si I know the ex had power windows and door locks. Think about it just to list a few things that the new si has that are bells and wistles low fuel light, power door locks and windows, radio/navi, AC, drive by wire, oil life indicator, tpms, vsc, ect and the car has become a great deal bigger and more portly over the years part of it because of added safty features. Okay maybe you could take off the ac, power windows and door locks as being bells and whistles seeing as how today they are standard on almost all makes and models of cars.
I was thinking about what the Si is today. It's a prelude It weighs just as much as the last two generations of preludes (roughly) but has more power. <shrug>

I had a '95 Civic EXa (abs equipped) coupe that I bought new back in '95. Unfortunately, I totaled it back in '02. I had to have another 5th gen civic and was surprised to see how many ABS hatchbacks I found. Not that I'm really worried about it, but it was a bit annoying to see that the EX coupe had power everything and the hatch only had power mirrors and sunroof. Not a big deal, especially now since I'm whittling down the weight by removing unnecessary items. /off-topic
Old 10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by i-VTEC_DOHC
i dont mean to be racist or stereotypical in any way, but around here, mercedes, bmw, audi, etc. are typically driven by middle eastern people
lol yeah...we love those cars.

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
Same here. I'd say, Mercedes, Range Rover, and Ferrari are the three most popular among that crowd.

One night I was driving home, and I'm going around this bend, I see a newer Ferarri which had Dale Earnhardt'd into a wall, with a brand new Range Rover pulled up behind it. Must be nice to be rich.

Its not a stereotype if its true. No matter what the liberal media wants you to believe.
It is nice being rich as a people. The liberal media hides all kinds of stereotypes from everyone. Like how the irish have big nipples. Or that peruvians like to swoop in and save the day at the last moment. Or that black people LOVE taffy. Or that every Arab is filthy stinking rich!! They're all positive, so it's O.K. to make the assumption.

To stay on topic, my friend just got a 07 si and I keep trying to convince him to get into the HPDE/AUTOX scene.

I think the car's pretty well suited to all that stuff even when it's stock. I mean...you can still tell that everything on there is "street" stuff, but it's pretty good for what it is.

The steering feel in those cars is really nice. I didn't really notice any of the numbness when I've driven them hard.

The DBW is the suckiest thing about the car for sure, though.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Withouth question...the 8th gen is a very capable car. As I mentioned, it wouldn't take much to make it a very potent car. I also believe that you could build a potent Si without comprimising its civility either.

I was under the impression that the Flashpro has no adjustments for the DBW...unless I misunderstood the FAQ on their site. Please elaborate.

Other than the one hater who doesn't think the Si is a fast car...which I don't even understand why you bought one if you think so ill of it...the Si is not going win many drag races...but who cares? The setup gives you plenty of power to compliment the handling. A great handling car is more fun than a straight line fast car any day. I managed to put away a few "fast" cars with my bone stock Si when I autocrossed it.
the only thing flashpro does for the dbw, is the rev hang. on the map calibrations, it basically eliminates rev hang. its definitely weird to drive it at first.

Originally Posted by FijiBlueFG2
Increase the power by 50hp/50tq, and throw a decent suspension on there and you're good to go.
thats what the stage 1 comptech is and tein flex is for. those 2 things alone will put you further ahead of the competition, and you'll be faster than a mugen si

Originally Posted by B serious
lol yeah...we love those cars.
i see why you guys do hahaha i myself have a c300 sport sedan with those little extra trims and amg wheels.