Road Racing / Autocross & Time Attack Road Racing / AUTOX, HPDE, Time Attack

EM1 Si classification

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EM1 Si classification

Hello everyone,

I have a stock 2000 EM1 Si that I bought some time ago to use as my daily/winter car. Up until this point I have only done track events/HPDEs/PDX events in various and most recently in my '15 Mustang GT

I figured it's time to move into something more competitive such as Time Trials (and possibly Hillclimb), but I do not want to run the Mustang because 1) it's too expensive to run (brakes, tires, cooling, etc); 2) I don't want to risk doing any track related damage to that car.
I'd like to get started in NASA TT (because they got most events nearby) and keep the Si street legal as well. I understand there will be trade-offs, but I don't have the budget for a trailer and all that. Which class would be the best for near-stock street driven car?

I'm having trouble figuring which class the EM1 would fit into. I've used their Excel class calculator but I'm still confused. It seems like it would be PTC/TTC? To complicate things further, I need to replace the stock shocks and struts (Koni yellow adjustable) because the factory stuff is worn (184k miles), so I'm not sure how that would affect the class. I know the recommendation is always start with stock car and then build it as you get faster, but I really don't want to get stock suspension only to have to upgrade it soon after.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: EM1 Si classification

Originally Posted by SonicC
Hello everyone,

I have a stock 2000 EM1 Si that I bought some time ago to use as my daily/winter car. Up until this point I have only done track events/HPDEs/PDX events in various and most recently in my '15 Mustang GT

I figured it's time to move into something more competitive such as Time Trials (and possibly Hillclimb), but I do not want to run the Mustang because 1) it's too expensive to run (brakes, tires, cooling, etc); 2) I don't want to risk doing any track related damage to that car.
I'd like to get started in NASA TT (because they got most events nearby) and keep the Si street legal as well. I understand there will be trade-offs, but I don't have the budget for a trailer and all that. Which class would be the best for near-stock street driven car?

I'm having trouble figuring which class the EM1 would fit into. I've used their Excel class calculator but I'm still confused. It seems like it would be PTC/TTC? To complicate things further, I need to replace the stock shocks and struts (Koni yellow adjustable) because the factory stuff is worn (184k miles), so I'm not sure how that would affect the class. I know the recommendation is always start with stock car and then build it as you get faster, but I really don't want to get stock suspension only to have to upgrade it soon after.

Thanks in advance.
Find out who your local TT race director is and consult them.
Make sure you have all mods listed so they can better guide/help you better categorize your car.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EM1 Si classification

Good point, I should've thought of that.