Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Very bad vibration/shaking after 5 lug swap @80mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very bad vibration/shaking after 5 lug swap @80mph

Before doing my 5 lug swap the car was driving perfectly fine at any speed with a trashed suspension, humming wheel bearings, mismatched steelies with mismatched bald tires and a backyard tooth floss jack stand alignment and it drove straight as an arrow at any speed with no mechanical problems. Now it has a bad intermittent vibration that starts @60mph on the front passenger side and it gets so bad @80mph it feels like the whole front end is going to explode. The steering wheel feels like a vibrator and you can even see it in the dash. It also has a clunking sound when turning, a slight pull to both sides while going in and out of the gas and a slight pull while braking. Parts I got came off a RSX part out with way less miles. There’s zero play in the wheels or in the tie rods. Everything on the front end has been replaced from the lower control arms, both axles and up to the bc coilovers. Rides buttery smooth up until 60mph. It’s on factory RSX 16s with Goodyears all the way around. I highly doubt it’s a tire balance issue they’ve all been been weighted and it doesn’t look like any have fallen off. I also swapped the passenger side wheels with no affect. Any ideas?
Old 10-31-2022, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Very bad vibration/shaking after 5 lug swap @80mph

Have you put the front up on jack stands and let it idle in gear, to check how the fronts roll?
Old 10-31-2022, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCM1
Have you put the front up on jack stands and let it idle in gear, to check how the fronts roll?
I just did. Passenger side wheel wasn’t wanting to move @idle. It did when I put some gas on. I think that’s normal though cause these cars don’t have an LSD. The brake pad rubs it a little bit and it rubs intermittently so the rotor may be a little warped. It feels like I have two different problems because the intermittent vibration doesn’t seem to get worse it’s the crazy vibrations that just come in on top with speed. It did look like the driver side wheel was a little wobbly. Im going to take it in to a tire shop and make sure the tires are balanced right and they don’t have any internal damage and that the wheels aren’t bent.
Old 10-31-2022, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can see it wobbling at low speed, it’s not a balance issue…it’s a mounting or concentricity issue, or a bent rim.