Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

05 civic cruise not working.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 civic cruise not working.

Hey people I have an 05 Honda Civic and my cruise control recently stopped working the dream cruise light does not light up on the button nor does the green cruise light light up on the instrument panel I checked the number 4 and number 10 fuses but did not check the number 7 because my horn still works. anything else I could check???
Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: 05 civic cruise not working.

Check the main switch in dash if fuses (4, 7 and 10) are good. Then check the set/resume/cancel switch on steering wheel, the brake pedal position switch on the brake pedal, clutch pedal position switch if MT, range position switch if AT, and finally the cruise control unit itself. Could also be a poor ground, bad connection or short in the circuit. Happy troubleshooting
Old 03-13-2017, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so your light doesn't come on, which is troublesome. So check if the lamp is still good. Cuz that light according to the diagram I posted is pretty simple if fuse 4 is good. Really only two reasons left (after fuse and lamp are verified good) - switch is bad or G501 ground is lost. Now, I oversimplify of course, it could be wiring anywhere along the way, but the circuit is not a difficult one.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:17 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem (Cruise control button light on, but nothing happens when the SET button is pressed), and traced it to defective contacts in the brake pedal switch.

Background info: There are two sets of contacts in the brake pedal switch, one pair with wide terminals that are normally-closed (NC) when the button is out, and one pair with smaller terminals that are normally-open (NO) when the button is out. The NC and NO designations are the correct terminology for the button being out, but note that when it's installed in the car, the button is pressed in by the brake pedal. So with the pedal up (button in), the wide-pins contact is open and the small-pins contact is closed. When the pedal is pressed, the contacts change state -- the wide-pins contact closes, and the small-pins contact opens.

The wide pins are used for the brake lights. So when the pedal is pressed, the contacts close and the brake lights go on. The narrow pins are used for the cruise control. So when the pedal is pressed, the contacts open and the cruise control goes off.

In my case, the small-pins contact would not close when the pedal was up, so the cruise control was always deactivated. I took out the switch (very easy to do -- just turn it slightly to the left and it pops right out), worked some spray contact cleaner down into the contacts, and that fixed the switch.

When reinstalling the switch, slip the switch back into the holding bracket until the button bottoms out against the brake pedal, so that the button is fully pressed down BUT the pedal is not moved by the switch. This adjustment is fairly critical, and can be another reason the cruise control isn't working. If the switch is not inserted far enough, the cruise control contacts will never close, and the cruise control won't work. If the button is inserted too far, the brake contacts may not close when the pedal is pressed, and the brake lights won't come on. When the switch is in the correct position, turn it slightly to the right to lock it in place.

Also note that the cruise control does not work at speeds below 30mph.