Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

♠ Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ♠

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: ♠ Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ♠

Originally Posted by silkyjohnson#1hater
A stock 99 si oem harness 475$, no way a better quality built harness is gonna be cheaper than that.. if u really do some homework... the prices that we give, wire-worx, rywire and chase is cheap by pro standards.. we have some race facilities in daytona beach that looked at my work and said im giving it away!! lol.. they charge so much more.....same exact material and methods..

some of our work, this is a top of the line harness..

I like how majority of those junctions use molded breakout boots (or splitters, whatever they are called). I'm having trouble finding smaller ones. Would you sell those individually, I would like some for my harness.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ♠ Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ♠

Can anyone show me or leas me on the track so can learn how to concentric twist my engine wire harness.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Easiest way would be to use a drill. Tape/zip tie the end together and use the drill to twist it together at the main joint section
Old 08-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That will only work for 2-3 wires..... what is your plan to use on 50-60+??
Old 08-25-2012, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
I thought wireworx harnesses were higher prices than rywire?

I have a rywire harness I bought for dirt cheap (brand new still in bag) and I see a lot of things that could be fixed. For one the sensor plug seals don't cover the wire. They are over sized and offer no protection.

My sensor plug with new seals:

Rywire:

New seal but it's open so defeats the purpose

Alternator plug
That harness from Ryan is a very first gen one using the clear connectors and that being said that it is a first gen one is why the seals arent perfect and some dont have them. Remember this is back when no one made these, he sourced it all god forbid he didnt find them all before people wanted the product.... As for judging something you got dirt cheap and saying it could be better, maybe thats why it was cheap. I didnt see you out there making a harness 4 years ago and giving people what they wanted. But now 4 years later it doesnt meet your standards.

Originally Posted by BC_Garage
I have a question that I cannot figure out. It is about relocating the battery. I understand how the wiring is done via this diagram.
Attachment 285339
In this picture I get how the harness is ran but I get confused when I look at the Rywire charge harness.

Attachment 285340
Why would there be ring terminals on both sides of the starter wire? Shouldn't it be ring terminal on the side that attaches to starter and then open on the other side where it is integrated into the positive battery terminal connector?

In this case it looks like it is fuse box to starter and fuse box to alternator so where is the battery to fuse box??
The battery wire goes from battery positive to the starter. So yes it needs two rings on it..
The alternator is connected to the fuse box directly in the oem setup but it doesnt matter. It can go right to the battery positive on the fusebox power. Either way the fuse box and starter need direct power from the battery. Then the alternator needs to be in loop somewhere with that, be it at the fuse box or on the battery positive terminal.

Why didnt you ask Ryan about it? Or know what you were buying before you bought it?? I think that is the question here.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rogueeg6
That harness from Ryan is a very first gen one using the clear connectors and that being said that it is a first gen one is why the seals arent perfect and some dont have them. Remember this is back when no one made these, he sourced it all god forbid he didnt find them all before people wanted the product.... As for judging something you got dirt cheap and saying it could be better, maybe thats why it was cheap. I didnt see you out there making a harness 4 years ago and giving people what they wanted. But now 4 years later it doesnt meet your standards.

The battery wire goes from battery positive to the starter. So yes it needs two rings on it..
The alternator is connected to the fuse box directly in the oem setup but it doesnt matter. It can go right to the battery positive on the fusebox power. Either way the fuse box and starter need direct power from the battery. Then the alternator needs to be in loop somewhere with that, be it at the fuse box or on the battery positive terminal.

Why didnt you ask Ryan about it? Or know what you were buying before you bought it?? I think that is the question here.
Harness was in a sealed bag. I saw the receipt for it, it was from early this year. I have been making them for a few years. Yet again it's not my source of income. I'm not bashing on Ryan, he is an awesome guy I met him a few years back at CRXPO. So that's not my point. I can't ask him about it because I didn't purchase it directly from him, I got it from his customer.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Easiest way would be to use a drill. Tape/zip tie the end together and use the drill to twist it together at the main joint section
Up to how many wires will this work for?
Old 08-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

U can also use these:
Name:  B05AF54E-36BE-4E27-AC03-E004C2A688AF-2161-000001A65F28F82C.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  11.2 KB
With a drill at the end
Old 08-26-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 631 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by CORE132
Up to how many wires will this work for?
You're supposed to alternate directions in each layer, like this:

Old 08-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone around the SoCal area that can do brake like tucks?
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Gave up on my engine harness and dropped the motor in. Iv been waiting to put up a pic in here for a long time. Tomorrow

Looks like I'll be buying one :/
Old 08-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Builda'Teg_92
Gave up on my engine harness and dropped the motor in. Iv been waiting to put up a pic in here for a long time. Tomorrow

Looks like I'll be buying one :/
Why what happened? Your in riverside not to far from sac.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

U can also use these:

With a drill at the end
What are those tools called n where can I buy them?

Originally Posted by spAdam
You're supposed to alternate directions in each layer, like this:

Yea I been reading about it but I am confused on how to twist them together with a drill layer by layer.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CORE132

Yea I been reading about it but I am confused on how to twist them together with a drill layer by layer.

I was thinking the same.
But a harness could have just enough wire to just twist them once nicely and use the kapton right away sonthat they don't untwist
Old 08-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Harness was in a sealed bag. I saw the receipt for it, it was from early this year. I have been making them for a few years. Yet again it's not my source of income. I'm not bashing on Ryan, he is an awesome guy I met him a few years back at CRXPO. So that's not my point. I can't ask him about it because I didn't purchase it directly from him, I got it from his customer.
So you are assuming again? You can't contact and ask questions to someone if you weren't the original buyer. That's untrue. But whatever.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rogueeg6
So you are assuming again? You can't contact and ask questions to someone if you weren't the original buyer. That's untrue. But whatever.
im not assuming anything. i never said i was. why would i want to contact rywire to begin with? i know how the harness is made, and how its wired up. i dont have any questions to ask him.

its easy enough for me to just swap in new oem seals and call it a day
Old 08-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question for you guys building harnesses, where are you buying your wire from? Looking for Factory Colored/Striped Wiring
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rickcrx
Almost there:

In here:
looks good man!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanx.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why what happened? Your in riverside not to far from sac.
idk i just needed the motor in, its been almost 2 years without one.

welp heres mine...still need to install BB delete,A/C plug,clean up bolts ect.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hope to see more. Thinking of doing mine also while my car gets painted
Old 08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those of you who have made an an eninge harness what size gauge wire did you use? I recently bought 22gauge waiting to get it delivered. For some reason I feel 20gauge would be a better choice. I read 22 gauge is what the engine harness is made up of .

I really want to make my own with fresh wire.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use 22 gauge 19/30 for my harnesses. The actual thickness of the wire will depend on what size jacket (the insulation of you will) you use.

If you didn't know 19/30 means 19 strands of 30 gauge wiring
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use 22 gauge 19/30 for my harnesses. The actual thickness of the wire will depend on what size jacket (the insulation of you will) you use.

If you didn't know 19/30 means 19 strands of 30 gauge wiring
Where do you order it from? How much wire do you approximately need to complete a harness?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

work in progress

Name:  574782_10151401428958438_1028560806_n.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  426770_10151401429113438_703472138_n.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  58.8 KB

Quick Reply: ♠ Shaved, Tucked, Customized Engine Bays - Pics, Theory, Discussion ♠