Notices
Honda / Acura Appearance related discussion for Honda / Acura vehicles

2012 Honda Pilot LX Hesitates While Accelerating on to Highway

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Honda Pilot LX Hesitates While Accelerating on to Highway

Apologies ahead of time for the long post.

I have a 2012 Honda Pilot LX That used to be my mothers car. Over the past half a year I noticed that while merging on to the highway the pilot would hesitate and take a second or two to speed up and catch up with the traffic. This doesn't always happen, but it is commonplace enough to be an annoyance. I have done research on this issue and have found that other people who are in possession of Honda Pilots built around 2012-2013 have also experienced this problem, but mine does not seem as extreme as the problem other pilot owners experienced.

However, while I found examples of this problem, what I haven't found are answers. My mother, who as previously mentioned owned the car before and I also might add is a bit paranoid, thinks it might be a problem with transmission. I am not saying that this isn't the case, it's as possible as any other issue, but after doing some research on my own I can't help to be skeptical of this claim. I looked up symptoms of a failing transmission online and the only one that seemed remotely similar to my problem was gear slipping, but other than the problem that I have previously mentioned, none of the other symptoms match up. I also found a video online saying that this behavior is normal, and has to do with the ECO engine in the car (I don't buy it).

My main guess is water in the gas tank, and I have two reasons for this.
#1: The symptoms of water in the gas tank match up with the issues with the car.
#2: I have only found one post online that actually talked about this problem in depth. The person had the same problem as my pilot with their 2012 Honda Pilot Touring, and once they brought the pilot in to be looked at they found, you guessed it, water in the tank.

I guess I'm mainly posting on here to get other opinions of the matter. I'm personally skeptical of my mothers claim that the transmission is failing because of the state of the car and the issue at hand. I might sound stupid for saying this (and if it is a stupid thing to say please call me out for it) but for a car that has a failing transmission, it drives oddly well. I have driven a couple cars enough to get a feel for them, and those are my 2012 Honda Pilot, my fathers 2015 Chevy Malibu, my brothers 2007 Chevy Cobalt, and my step-mothers 2012 Mazda CX-9. Out of these four cars the Honda Pilot drives the best by a long shot, yet this is the car that my mother also believes has a failing transmission.

Have any other Honda Pilot owners had this problem? If so, what was the cause and how did you fix it?