Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Audio/HVAC Backlight Problem with steps to get it fixed

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio/HVAC Backlight Problem with steps to get it fixed *STICKY*

I've noticed that a lot of people that own a 2003 Honda Accord or newer have had a problem with the backlight on their Audio/HVAC controls. I too have had this problem and have done the research on how to get this problem fixed for FREE EVEN IF YOUR CAR IS OUT OF WARRENTY! The steps below will help guide you through the process. I think that we should Sticky this because it is becoming more and more of a problem and will only get worse with time. People should not have to pay $600+ to get it fixed when Honda is covering it for free.

NOTE: Honda does NOT have to cover this problem out of warrenty because they are not yet recalled, but Honda is covering most of them if you follow the steps below.

STEPS TO GET THE BACKLIGHT ON YOUR AUDIO/HVAC CONTROLS FIXED:

1. First go to http://www.driveaccord.net/for...d=673 and print out the Techincal Service Bulletin that Honda has released on this issue. On the second page the bulletin mentions a "Goodwill" policy that Honda has for items like this. This is the policy you will need to mention when talking to American Honda.

2. Have your VIN number handy and call 1-800-999-1009 which is the American Honda customer service line. Talk to a representative and explain to them the problem you are having with the backlight. Also explain to them that you have done some research and have found that Honda has a Goodwill Policy for instances like this and you would like your radio covered under this policy. The representative will take down your name, number, address, VIN # and some other information. They will then send this information to a case manager who will call you back within 2 business days. I would HIGHLY advise being nice to these people because it really does help. If you go in with a bad attitude they may not cover it because they do not have to.

3. During the two business days you are waiting for the case manager to call you back make an appointment with your local Honda dealership to have them look at the radio. The appointment date should be a day or two after you estimate the case manager to call you back. Do not tell the dealership you are working with American Honda, just make the appointment.

4. The case manager will call you back and talk to you about your situation. Again, BE NICE TO THIS PERSON as he/she has the final say in whether or not your radio will be covered. After talking with you for a while they will inform you whether or not your radio will be covered. If you have followed the above steps it should be covered without a problem. If it is covered, tell the case manager you have an appointment at a dealership to have it looked at. The case manager should call the dealership and give them a pre-authorization number to fix your radio for free when you go in.

5. You MIGHT have to pay the dealership a diagnostic fee of $40-$75 dollars. This is cheap compared to having to pay $600-$1000 to fix the radio so I wouldn't complain about it.

These are the steps I used to get my Radio/HVAC backlight fixed free of charge. I do not guarntee that this will be the case for everyone, but if you use the steps listed above your increase your odds greatly.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good working there. This needs to be a **sticky**
If you are in dealings with a Honda dealer that is going against American Honda warranty policy on the radios you should go through these steps.