Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Timing Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt Replacement

I've owned Accords for 21 years, and with each one I've replaced the timing belt when scheduled and that has usually happened within 5 years. I currently own a 2006 V6 with 79K on it, and the dealer is saying that the replacement guideline is 7 years or 105K miles. The manual makes no mention of "7 years or", and the folks at Honda in CA are no help, stating only that they stand by the recommendation in the manual. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Timing Belt Replacement

Drive it another 25k+ before you worry about it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is 7 years (or 105k miles), but I waited over 8 years before I changed mine on the 03. If I were paying someone else to change it, I might have waited longer. So,IMO, you can wait, but keep your ears peeled for any noises coming from under the timing covers.

PS: If you are going to do the change yourself, you can get a great price on an OEM timing belt kit on Amazon.com.

Last edited by BLKFLSH; 05-01-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
It is 7 years (or 105k miles), but I waited over 8 years before I changed mine on the 03. If I were paying someone else to change it, I might have waited longer. So,IMO, you can wait, but keep your ears peeled for any noises coming from under the timing covers.

PS: If you are going to do the change yourself, you can get a great price on an OEM timing belt kit on Amazon.com.
Thanks for your input; there is a noise from that side of the engine when idling, and the only way I can think to describe it is a "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound. This started a few months back. Could be the water pump? I've heard others talk about "tensioners" that need adjusting? When you go to the Gates Rubber site and download the timing belt PDF it says the same 105K as the manual.
Thanks.
BK
Old 05-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That noise would concern me. You could always take the front timing cover off, and at least check the condition of the belt. You could even run the engine for a few seconds with the front cover off, to see if the belt is loose. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your help.......off to the shop............I hate payments!
Old 05-03-2013, 06:04 AM
BPA
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 21Years
Thanks for your input; there is a noise from that side of the engine when idling, and the only way I can think to describe it is a "whoop, whoop, whoop" sound. This started a few months back. Could be the water pump? I've heard others talk about "tensioners" that need adjusting? When you go to the Gates Rubber site and download the timing belt PDF it says the same 105K as the manual.
Thanks.
BK
You could be describing TSB 08-045. Do a quick google search and you should find the PDF with the description and sound.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BPA
You could be describing TSB 08-045. Do a quick google search and you should find the PDF with the description and sound.
Thanks for the tip. Describing sounds is difficult; one man's chirp may be another's whistle..................anyway, worth pursuing to see if I can get it done at a discount. I don't think this is it because it started somewhere after 75K miles.

BK
Old 05-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here it is, but not likely to be the problem.
http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A08-045.PDF
Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Here it is, but not likely to be the problem.
http://dvpatel.homelinux.com/forumfiles/SB/A08-045.PDF
Thanks, I had downloaded and printed it to take to the service mgr. I agree that it sounds like a different problem.

I'll post the results as soon as I get the service done.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:25 PM
BPA
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, I had downloaded and printed it to take to the service mgr. I agree that it sounds like a different problem.

I'll post the results as soon as I get the service done.
Here is the video of what the TSB problem sounds like:

Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 05-06-2013, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BPA
Here is the video of what the TSB problem sounds like:
TSB - Honda 08-045 - YouTube

Good luck and hope you get it resolved.
Thanks......that could be it. The video is with the cover removed, but it's close enough to take the service bulletin in with me. Let everyone know what it turns out to be.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned Accords for 21 years, and with each one I've replaced the timing belt when scheduled and that has usually happened within 5 years. I currently own a 2006 V6 with 79K on it, and the dealer is saying that the replacement guideline is 7 years or 105K miles. The manual makes no mention of "7 years or", and the folks at Honda in CA are no help, stating only that they stand by the recommendation in the manual. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
you have to use timing belt lock tool,
Old 05-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by euroexportinc
you have to use timing belt lock tool,

Where did you dig that stinky nugget up? It's a SOHC engine with the cams like a foot and a half apart. How are you going to use a cam lock? Besides, you don't "need" a cam lock (if that's what you mean by timing belt lock tool) for any Honda engine. They can help beginners with DOHC 4cyl engines, but that's about it.

Abused engines aside, the t-belts on those engines typically wont break before 150k or 10 years. I would change at 105k or 10 yrs, whatever comes first. Be sure to change the auto tensioner at the same time. The auto tensioner sticks out of the rear of the timing cover. Look above the oil filter for a small cylinder sticking out of the timing cover. If it is oily, do the timing belt and tensioner soon. Those tensioners are bad about leaking.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Took the car to the shop to discuss the TSB-Honda-08-045 service bulletin and in asking I mentioned that the sound was relatively new. The Manager's response was that the bulletin was for an 'out-of-the-box' problem and not something that turned up over time. He came outside, listened to the car at idle and asked me to get in and turn the wheel. When the wheel turned the pitch of the noise went higher, indicating some issue with the power steering pump. His advice was to continue listening and if it increases bring it in for a check. On the timing belt, his comment was that the Gates 105K recommendation was pretty solid so he was comfortable saying to wait for the maintenance minder to go off at 100K.
Thanks to everyone for the help, I appreciate it.

21years.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The manager is correct about the s/b noise. It would have showed up a looong time ago. But, did you say the manager heard the noise? My motto is always 'If I can hear it, I can fix it'. Are you trying to get them to look for a gnat fart, or is the noise significant? Is it worse in the mornings at cold startup and by the time you get to the dealer with a warm engine, it isn't as bad? Dealers make money fixing cars, I can't understand why he would send you away if he heard it.

The pcm ups the idle a smidge when you turn the wheel. That could be causing the change in pitch if it isn't p/s related.

If you do have p/s noise, the problem is most likely the inlet o-ring at the pump. It's the plastic piece that connects the large hose to the pump that the o-ring seals. The o-ring shrinks over time and lets air in the fluid entering the pump which causes a whine/grind noise.

If it is bad enough, the fluid will aerate so much that the reservoir overflows with foamy p/s fluid. You can see the fluid all over the outside and underneath the reservoir if it is doing it that severely. Can you see any oil residue? A very common problem on V6 engines, but can happen on 4cyls, also. It is quite rare for those pumps to fail, air leaks from o-rings or suction hose are the #1 problem. The best way to kill one of those pumps is to run it with an aeration problem for an extended time.

Posting a video or audio of the problem is a good idea if we are to help you figure this out.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also wanted to mention that your car is probably under the power steering hose recall, so have the dealer check for that as well. It won't help with your noise, but it WILL help keep the car from catching on fire. The dealer should replace the old hose with an updated hose.

read these

http://www.arcreman.com/attachments/...nda_07-086.pdf

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/01/h...r-steering-is/

The hoses do leak and right on the exhaust, so get it done asap. Most of the hoses I see are leaking or have already been replaced once.