Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Rolling/Click sound in back of 08 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rolling/Click sound in back of 08 Accord

This is my first post, but am needing some help with a noise that I cannot seem to figure out on my own. First of all, I purchased on 08 Accord, EX-L just a few weeks ago. I like it fine, but am dealing with a noise in the rear end of the vehicle when I go fast around curves. Honestly, it sounds like something big is in my trunk rolling from side-to side. However, I have checked everywhere and can't find a stray object! I also looked in the spare tire compartment, thinking there was something not in its place. The problem has persisited. It does sound like something moving from side to side, but there is also a clicking noise. The best way I know to describe it is the sound a manual seat makes when the lever bar is engaged for the seat to move backward and forward. There is like a rolling, click. It sounds like it is coming from the back seat or trunk area.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Unfortunately, my drive to work each day is very curvy so the noise happens a lot. It can even be heard over music. At this point, I am very reluctant to have passengers in my new car because of the embarassing sound. Any advice or help would be appreciated.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rolling/Click sound in back of 08 Accord

I have two guesses.

I've heard similar noises from 2 different things. Bad strut mounts will make a creaking sound, not so much a clicking sound but more like the creaking of an old house in a cheap horror movie. It always seems rear strut mounts go bad far before front ones too. How many miles do you have on it? I've seen strut mounts go bad after just 30-40K before.

If you just bought the car a few weeks ago, they likely took the tires off and inspected the brakes, etc etc. I've had an F150 and a Civic that both had a clicking from the back end shortly working on the rear brakes. One time was because a small pebble was caught in between the wheel and the drum, and on the F150 the drum brakes had seized up and a couple pieces had broken off inside the drum causing a very similar clicking issue. The clicking I heard would be best described as one of those prize wheels you'd see at a fair.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Trial User

Thank you for your response. This is only around curves when there is a force... pulling whatever the object is from side to side. The car has about 23,000 miles on it.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take it to honda. that car has a 60kmile bumper to bumper warranty
Old 09-03-2010, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bud,

It still might be the strut mounts. Normally you can hear them over bumps, but sometimes it's very quiet over bumps and loud in corners.

Does your Accord have a rear stabilizer bar? It may be that one of the ends is either a bit loose, is bad, or is improperly installed(these things do happen). If you can, get underneath the car and check to see if it has a lower rear roll bar. If it does, check each end of it where it connects to the chassis. Check for damage, loose connections, etc.

Granted, I've never seen anything like this happen, but it's definitely a possibility! One of the weirdest things I've ever seen that created a strange sound was on a Toyota Camry. When the redesigned them in 2002, they ran out of the correct size bolts that bolt in the speakers in the dash, so they used longer bolts to secure the speakers in the dash. When those cars hit the dealership, they found out that those bolts scrape the frame of the car and create a chirping and clicking while going over bumps. It took us 6 months to figure it out!

Basically, don't rule anything out. Something like that could be just about anything. Try to figure out, if you can, how far it's rolling. That's kind of an odd request, I know, but that might definitely help narrow it down. Is it a 4-door? Try taking out the bottom part of the rear seat and see if there's anything under there.

Have you ever checked out the CarFax on the car? Has it ever been wrecked? If so, where was it wrecked? Side or rear?
Old 09-03-2010, 07:58 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sedan or Coupe?
is it a rattle?

if its a rattle there is a TSB for that.

If its a more metal on metal sound, I would bet that it may be your trunk spring rattling.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a TSB on this noise...Its were the two panels at the rocker panels touch under hard cornering...just in frt of the rear wheels...you will need the dealer to check that out...May be rear sway bar links like suggested as well, very common