Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Questions about my 2003 Accord (automatic,2.4L,V4)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my 2003 Accord (automatic,2.4L,V4)

Hi there, glad to be here on the forum to hopefully learn a lot more about my car. I bought this car(my first) last May with 96,000KM and I am sitting at 121,700KM right now. Since owning it I have replaced or topped up the engine oil and basic fluids every 5,000KM and have replaced the serpentine belt recently. I have a few questions:

Does my car use a timing belt or timing chain? Most sites I've browsed online say the 2003 Accord uses a timing chain. When I bought my car they said the only major thing I should have to replace is the timing belt at 125,000KM but if I have a timing chain those are maintinence free right? I don't know which model my Accord is, I want to say LX. It's a 4-cyl,2.4-litre I-VTECH DOHC engine with automatic transmission.

Next question is about transmission fluid. Last oil change I was told I should look at getting it flushed and replaced as soon as I can, it doesn't smell burnt but is a orange rusty color so I will be getting this done within the next few days. I am getting it done at Mr.Lube for $149 CAD since the Honda dealership charges in excess of $250 CAD .

Other than the tranny fluid and timing belt questions, everything else in my car seems to be working fine. I haven't taken it back to a Honda dealer though since purchase to get it checked out. In the manual it says to replace spark plugs and a few other minor things around 120,000KM I believe but I plan on taking it to Honda within the next month or two. Minor things, when I got my summer tires put on a month ago I was told my rotors are beyond machining and fairly warped, but I dont notice any pulsing or shaking when slowing down at any speed...were they just trying to soak me? Sometimes my brakes get squeaky if I haven't washed my car in a few weeks but that is normal right? (dust/hot weather?) Fairly sure my brake pads only have around 25% left in them anyway so those will have to be replaced soon as well, when I bought my new tires last summer they said I have about 55% left in my pads.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Questions about my 2003 Accord (automatic,2.4L,V4)

pretty sure it's a chain, not a belt. the v6 has the belt. so, you should be good on that end.

don't know about the trans fluid. i have a standard in my 03 and to be honest, i haven't even though about it.

spark plugs are no issue at all to replace. takes about 20 minutes. so, unless you're set on having all maintenance done at the shop, i'd do that myself.

as far as the brakes, if you're getting pulsing and shaking at any speed, it's a safe bet that your rotors are warped, which you already know. i'd take it to a reputable shop to have them looked at. most places aren't going to try and screw you over a set of rotors. either way it goes, they make money. machining the rotors is all profit for them cause it's all labor. and, i'm sure they aren't making a ton of money on the installation of new ones. so, if a tech told you that they are beyond repair, they probably are. but you can always go somewhere else for a second opinion.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not, I repeat, Do not get the transmission "power" flushed. Simple drain and fills are all that's needed. I suggest using Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. On the spark plugs, you want the long life iridium plugs. If you are going to get cheap plugs (Bosch) you're better off leaving the old iridium plugs in there. On brakes, if you are not feeling any vibrations when braking, and no other major noises, I would only change the pads, when needed.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:15 PM
New User

BLKFLSH, I was curious about this so I called both Honda dealers in my area (Edmonton), of which both recommended the power flush(which is how they do it). They said the US dealers do not do it but here in Canada they do(probably because of the "severe" conditions). I went to Mr. Lube today since I didn't wanna pay an hourly mechanic and got the tranny flushed for $150 CAD(after calling around to every place I could think of this was the cheapest). As far as I know next major thing I should be looking at is getting the engine coolant flushed at 196,000KM. Of course I will probably get my brake pads within the next month and front rotors. Thanks for the replies!
Old 01-30-2010, 10:47 PM
New User

Originally Posted by BLKFLSH
Do not, I repeat, Do not get the transmission "power" flushed. Simple drain and fills are all that's needed. I suggest using Honda ATF-Z1 fluid. On the spark plugs, you want the long life iridium plugs. If you are going to get cheap plugs (Bosch) you're better off leaving the old iridium plugs in there. On brakes, if you are not feeling any vibrations when braking, and no other major noises, I would only change the pads, when needed.

I totally agree with you on the plugs. I have an 03 4cyl vtec ex model accord. I made the mistake of putting the bosch in there. Noticed a decrease in performance immediately.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:15 PM
New User

Its my understanding that Hondas ATF is different from your 'run of the mill' ATF you would buy at a parts store. I've always heard its VERY IMPORTANT to use genuine Honda ATF for this reason.

I also can confirm that flushing your ATF is a BAD idea. Not quite sure on this, but i remember hearing something about the material used on the clutches in the transmission actually being 'washed away' by a trans flush.

If I were you i would drain my trans and refill with genuine Honda ATF-Z1
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting a flush isn't harmful, but most places that do flushes run regular DEXRON III through their systems, so you don't end up with Honda fluid. I'm not usually one to run OEM fluids, but Honda power steering and automatic transmission fluids are actually different, so for those two (and Honda rear diff fluid on SUVs), I get the OE stuff.

Drain and refill on the tranmission really is all that is necessary though. $150CAD seems extremely expensive for a tranmission flush as well. I think next time you should consult the forum before listening to crooked mechanics.