Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Pulled the wrong trans plug. Getting P0980 and P0973 code

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled the wrong trans plug. Getting P0980 and P0973 code

In a moment of stupidity, I was trying to find a particular plug and speed sensor (input speed sensor, main shaft) in order to clear the P0717 code that comes back intermittently since the engine install and trans fluid drain/fill. I ended up removing this plug instead, clearly not the correct plug, and I see four wires inside. After plugging it back in, I get a P0980 and P0973 code. Neither of which will clear whatsoever. They come back without starting the car, without doing anything. Clear code, comes back instantly.

Starting the car, it feels like it goes into forward gears, but nothing for reverse. Sure seems like a solenoid is acting up

I'm at a loss, rather frustrated. Removing that plug caused a world of chaos. It sure sounds like a wiring issue, but I can't figure it out.

Any advice is appreciated.

It looks like it's number 10 in the diagram below
https://www.hondapartsdirect.com/aut...lenoid-v6-scat
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jesse_Boyer; 06-30-2017 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Global Moderator

Received 423 Likes on 393 Posts
Default Re: Pulled the wrong trans plug. Getting P0980 and P0973 code

What you removed is the shift solenoid wire harness.

You'll have to drain the transmission fluid first, then remove the shift solenoid valve cover (red arrow). Then check the wiring connectors and wiring to the individual shift solenoids inside. There are 4 individual shift solenoids inside (A, B, C, and D). P0973 is related to shift solenoid valve A and P0980 is related to shift solenoid valve C. Hopefully the wiring was not damaged when you tried to pull out the shift solenoid wire harness without first opening the valve cover and disconnecting the wire connectors inside.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Global Moderator

The input shaft (mainshaft) speed sensor has a blue connector with three wires.
Attached Images  
Old 07-02-2017, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8

You'll have to drain the transmission fluid first, then remove the shift solenoid valve cover (red arrow). Then check the wiring connectors and wiring to the individual shift solenoids inside. There are 4 individual shift solenoids inside (A, B, C, and D). P0973 is related to shift solenoid valve A and P0980 is related to shift solenoid valve C. Hopefully the wiring was not damaged when you tried to pull out the shift solenoid wire harness without first opening the valve cover and disconnecting the wire connectors inside.
Cover removed, found three of four wires pulled out of the connectors. Removed harness entirely, pulled all connectors, disassembled connectors, re-crimped, and reinstalled. After swapping both the input and output sensors (had both, wanted resolution) it seems to drive fine for the first mile. I'll take it out farther today after work.

Many thanks, tech8

Last edited by Jesse_Boyer; 07-06-2017 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon5 Re: Pulled the wrong trans plug. Getting P0980 and P0973 code

I am too pulled wrong plug and 3 wires broken out of inside connectors of 4 shift solenoid valves A, B, C, D. Need help with wiring diagram to crimp back connectors and plug back to the correct solenoids. 4 wire colors on the plus are in line with an order Red, Yellow, Green and Orange; Yellow and Green wires are tie-wrapped together.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sold the car, so I'm going from memory here. I can't help you with the actual wiring diagram, but the fix isn't hard. You'll remove the airbox, and clean the exterior of the trans case pretty well. You're goign to remove a bunch of bolts holding the case/cover on near that plug. Once you pull it out, you'll see what you pulled apart. I had to cheat to remove the metal part of the clip on the harness, re-crimp the wires back to the metal, then shove them back in the plastic clip/cover.

Annoying, but it fixed my F-up.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a bunch Jesse for your hints to disassemble lots of bolts and connectors to get the valve cover off to see solenoids inside. I followed the instruction and got valve cover removed and found 3 wires broken from the connectors to solenoids (Green, Yellow and Red), only the Orange one that connects to the solenoid (back receptacle) on the 6 o'clock is still ok. The plug I pulled wrong just like on the the image from this post has 4 colored wires and they are lined up with the order starting with Orange, then Green, then Yellow and Red. Two Solenoids with Black receptacles at position of 6 o'clock and 3 o'clock then two solenoids with brown color receptacles at position 12 and 10 o'clock (Sorry I could not have an image to post right now).
Wires broken but no trace to the connectors of the plug so if you or anyone can shed a light so I can crimp then connect to the right solenoids. Really appreciate your help.

Last edited by Matt Quan; 10-22-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't confirm where which wire goes, no photos available.

The wire looks like it's not stripped much at all, right? That's all the wire that was actually in the metal connector. Looked destined to happen if you pulled on it wrong.

Regarding the metal spade connector inside the plastic connector, I had to get creative to get the metal spade connector out. Look in the end and you'll see a plastic part of the connector holding the spade in place. You either have to cut the connector a bit to press down with a pick to get the metal out... or some other way. I did it via option A. Open them up, solder/crimp the wire back on, and reassemble.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Global Moderator

This info. is for a V6.

Yel wire to Shift Control Solenoid Valve A
Red wire to Shift Control Solenoid Valve B
Grn wire to Shift Control Solenoid Valve C
Orn wire to Shift Control Solenoid Valve D
Attached Images   
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tech8 You are superb and so quick to get to the solution. My sincere appreciation to both technical expertise and professional style. It's so late at night now but I ran to my '04 Acura MDX to check it out and the Figures you provided are perfect match
I will follow your instruction and Jesse's tips about removing valve cover and crimping to get all things back to the transmission. Jesse did a very creative and successful job when re-crimp the wires back to the connectors because... OMG, it's really, really hard according to his words. I am very lucky to get tips and info because this is NOT an ordinary DIY fix and/or replacement involved lots of removing parts and patient and creativity even if already have all tools and parts ready.
I will spend my effort and time to fix and put everything back and hope I won't miss or do anything wrong (as the first wrong doing that caused this problem) and have to drain tranny fluid and go over the lengthy disassembly again.
I will post the result as I finished this job in couple of days in off work hours.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tech8

So, how do you guys even take the solenoid valur cover off?? How many screw are there?? I try to take it off but some screws are stuck to the round thing...any info can help me please.
Old 03-08-2020, 03:12 PM
Trial User

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so professional in this group. I literally signed up to come thank everyone especially for the guy that mentioned what the part was, as well as the other guy that talked about which colors belonged to where! Yes, my dumb behind turn right around and pulled directly on that grey what I called "solenoid looking whatever with wires hanging from it" and sure enough pulled wires smooth off lol. After coming here, I was able to get my car back together because I was like "OHHHH, THAT'S what those 6-7 bolts where, it was the freakin cover💁🏿‍♂️" .. few minutes removing, few minutes install and she's back in order. I think I cured a "Solenoid B stuck open" code too.