Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

Intermittent A/C fan

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent A/C fan

My car is a 2004 Accord LX and I'm having an issue with the A/C fan. Specifically, it works about 50% of the time with about a cycle of roughly 12-24 hours. The compressor and the rest of the cooling system work as they should, and I've verified that the vent button works as it should. I haven't been able to find a pattern to when the fan turns on or off, but it hasn't turned off when the car is running.

Can anyone help me diagnose and hopefully fix this problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Intermittent A/C fan

I presume you are calling the blower motor the AC fan. If you mean there is no air movement from any vents that happens from the blower motor. Some might think the AC fan to mean the condenser fan motor, which is under the hood. Not very technical, but when the blower motor is not working take you hand or foot and hit it one a couple of times. If it immendiately starts working then most likely you have a faulty blower motor. There are more technical ways to diagnose this problem if you would like I can give those too.This way is easy requires no tools and is almost fool proof. Post back with results. Check this out http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...=HEATER+BLOWER
Old 12-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

blower motor resistor failure is also common on these year accords.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aj99si
blower motor resistor failure is also common on these year accords.
Very true but transistors in my experience rarely have intermittent failures. However failing electric motors tend to engage randomly while a vehicle is in use becaue of bumps/ vibrations that cause to motor to move "out of the bad spot".
Old 12-22-2009, 09:27 PM
New User

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for any confusion, yes I did mean the item that moves the air, so the blower motor.

I finally got a chance to have a passenger in my car and the blower not working to try what you recommended, and yes, after one or two good strikes, the fan starts right up.

The question now is what do I do with it? I'm debating taking it to my regular mechanic and seeing what he quotes me or just buying the parts and doing it myself (I'm technically competent with a background in electronics and robotics).

Thanks again guys.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:57 AM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do it yourself, it's easy. Just need a 1/4 ratchet 4inch extension, swivel and a 8mm socket. Can have it done in 5 minutes.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ x 2 very easy to replace. Save yourself the labor charge. Replace with an OEM part for best fit and easiest install. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
New User

Well, sorry to keep bumping this thread with very intermittent updates but I finally got the 5 minutes to make my first attempt at disassembling this car, and yeah 8mm socket + 5 minutes = A blower fan on my carpet.

In the hopes of saving ~$140, I was hoping to repair it, but it seems to start right up only when it's plugged in but not installed. Is there any hope for repairing this thing or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one? I'm just worried that I'll go through all the effort of buying that blower and find out that it's something else like the power transistor.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Get a new one, unless you know how to service the brushes on that motor. Try to find a rear-ended car like yours. You may be able to get the whole blower/motor assembly for cheap. Same thing happened to my car and my friend had the same year car that was in a rear end collision and he gave me his blower/motor for free.