HONAUX4 & Steering Wheel Control Wont Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 01:40 PM
ViG
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HONAUX4 & Steering Wheel Control Wont Work

HONAUX4 & Steering Wheel Control Wont Work

Hi guys, quick question. I have purchased the HONAUX4 and the CPUNI-PD5V (a.k.a. PDCBLPAK). I assumed I would be able to control my ipod via steering wheel but after installing it it's pretty clear that I cannot. After reading the product descriptions I now realize why I assumed I could:

"HONAUX4 (HONAUX4 2003-2009 Acura/Honda Auxiliary Input Converter)
The HONAUX4 (replaces the discontinued AUXHOND3 & SNHOND3) connects to the CD changer port at the rear of the factory radio in many 2003-2009 Acura/Honda vehicles (Please see Specific Vehicle Application List below), to create an external auxiliary input that you can then use to connect the audio from any external audio source, like the audio from an MP3 player, a portable DVD player, computer, video game, any audio device that has an audio output connector.

• Plugs into the 14-pin connector in the rear or bottom of the factory radio.
• Works with any, all, or no factory installed options, including 6-disc in-dash CD changer, factory XM tuner, factory navigation and rear seat DVD, and will NOT disable any of these options.
• Installing this device in CD mode will allow the vehicle to recognize it as a second CD changer, leaving all other modes unaffected.
• If using the HONAUX4 to connect an iPOD™ or Zune™ MP3 player, you will be able to control either device through your factory radio by adding the CORE™ system package: ipod(CPUNI-PD5V Universal iPod™ Charging Interface) "

That last bold part isn't true. I bought their CORE, connected all of it, and sure the ipod charges now, but that's not what I wanted and/or was advertised. I know they have the REMOCORE of w/e but that's a whole separate remote, this clearly said "through your factory radio".

Teh question I have in regard to this thread is this:

* Could I have maybe installed something incorrectly, or perhaps could it be defective?

* Would there be a setting on the ipod itself that I must activate for remote control (99% sure there isn't, but eh)?

* Maybe everything was installed and correct, I just don't have to correct components to make the steering wheel controls work because I misunderstood the product description, If so, is there a part I can buy (not a whole new line out converter which runs at about $150) which will make this product do what I bought it for?

Any replies from people with experience are appreciated.

Thanks guys

-ViG (2004 Honda Accord EX)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: HONAUX4 & Steering Wheel Control Wont Work

its very clear to me that it probably does exactly as it says it would do, control the device through the factory radio... no where does it say through the steering wheel.

the honda iPod adapter I have seen would only control the ipod through the factory face plate controls
Old 06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From my understanding the adapter for ur steering will only control cd's or the radio for an aftermarket radio. If u have the oem radio, adding that wont control ur ipod from the steering... i think when they say thru ur oem radio, they mean u can play ur ipod , but u wont be able to control it with ur steering wheel , from wat u have explained...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:18 PM
ViG
Trial User

its very clear to me that it probably does exactly as it says it would do, control the device through the factory radio... no where does it say through the steering wheel.

the Honda iPod adapter I have seen would only control the ipod through the factory face plate controls
Well I can't even do that. The only way I can control my ipod is by touching the ipod itself. I'd be fine with the ability to use my factory radio and pushing track 6 and 5 for next or whatever it may be, but all I see is CDC TRACK 01 and it doesn't respond to any commands. The only way to adjust anything is by direct touch of the ipod itself.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, have you contacted the manufacturer?
Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 PM
ViG
Trial User

I've sent an email to "Kicker" support. No reply yet. The problem is, they discontinued all soundgate products and don't even post any manuals or info about it anymore on their website.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM
ViG
Trial User

PROBLEM SOLVED

Got this reply from the manufacture:

When the piece was installed there is a 1/8" to 1/8" cable that
needs to run from the HONAUX4 to the CABLE PACK. Make sure this cable is
installed; it is the cable that is sending these control signals from
piece to piece.

If the cable is installed you might have a faulty cable, these are cheap
cables to purchase and can be found at Wal-Mart, Radio shack, etc....
try replacing the cable. Make sure you buy the cable that has three
black rings on the end.

Check to see how it is emulated in the install by checking the dip
switch settings. Inside the HONAUX4 box there are two small switches,
make sure switch one is up and two is down.

If all of this checks out I would contact the seller and see about
having the HONAUX4 repalced.
Switched the switches and the aux cord, everything works perfect, as promised now!

-ViG
Old 06-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Trial User

hi to all subcriber need to know more of honda CRV 2007electric steering specially on flooded area pls give me some of your tips inghandling this type of steering coz im afraid it will fail soon