Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

High Mileage, Young Attitude...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage, Young Attitude...

I'd like to draw on everyone's experience.

My 03 V6 auto has about 119,000 and I'm wondering how to treat it.

I currently drive EXTREMELY conservative, not because I'm afraid, but because it's comfortable and I don't care to be hard on the acceleration.

I find though that when I'd like to get up to speed quicly, ie on ramp, or pass someone on the freeway already going 65, I concern myself.

I know the car has alot of miles, but is there anything i need to worry about with this many miles and pushing the car a little?

Is it good to get the engine pushing 4000 rpms? For that matter, I haven't put this thing close to WOT at all.

Give me your high mileage driving input if you will.

Much appreciated!
Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Me Gusta History

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (creator1322)

If you've kept up on maintenance and it has had its timing belt changed, romp on it. A Honda will last quite a while.

I'd personally be more concernned about the automatic tranny over time rather than the engine.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (accordselux)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you've kept up on maintenance and it has had its timing belt changed, romp on it. A Honda will last quite a while.

I'd personally be more concernned about the automatic tranny over time rather than the engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Timing belt and tensioner done a week or so ago.

I feel the same about that tranny....I've heard more complaints about it, than anything else on the car combined.

I hate when it's cold and shifts into 2nd and makes a weird noise. It's ONLY on the first time it shifts into 2nd, and it's not every time. But it never does it for the rest of the day.

I was told by the dealer that the problem they were having with the trannies was the 2nd gear not getting enough fluid. So, they put a jet kit to spray fluid directly on the 2nd gear system.

I will drive with more vigor and less hesitance when I feel compelled.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Me Gusta History

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by creator1322 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Timing belt and tensioner done a week or so ago.

I feel the same about that tranny....I've heard more complaints about it, than anything else on the car combined.

I hate when it's cold and shifts into 2nd and makes a weird noise. It's ONLY on the first time it shifts into 2nd, and it's not every time. But it never does it for the rest of the day.

I was told by the dealer that the problem they were having with the trannies was the 2nd gear not getting enough fluid. So, they put a jet kit to spray fluid directly on the 2nd gear system.

I will drive with more vigor and less hesitance when I feel compelled.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea the tranny wasn't limited to just that generation V6.

I have a 2.3 auto from 2000 and I had the same 2nd gear issue, after a while it turned into first gear revving all the way past 5000, the car stumbles, and it shot me into 2nd gear and I would spring forward. Tranny was replaced under warranty.

Ironically, they say doing a tranny fluid flush only magnifies the problem. I got the revised tranny and have been driving on it for 4 years and 40,000 miles and no problems
Old 02-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordselux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yea the tranny wasn't limited to just that generation V6.

I have a 2.3 auto from 2000 and I had the same 2nd gear issue, after a while it turned into first gear revving all the way past 5000, the car stumbles, and it shot me into 2nd gear and I would spring forward. Tranny was replaced under warranty.

Ironically, they say doing a tranny fluid flush only magnifies the problem. I got the revised tranny and have been driving on it for 4 years and 40,000 miles and no problems </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, thankfully the little 2nd gear issue i have is intermittent and since I live up hill, the first moments of driving in the morning I can use the hill to get me through the initial 2nd gear shift of the day. I'm no where near warranty coverage anymore and I have a fear of having to pay for it all on my own.

It sounds like there is just need for a little sensitivity in the lower gears on my part. I will surely always drive nicely in the lower 2 gears.

But i won't feel so bad hitting it hard at 60 trying to pass someone in the fast lane.

Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Me Gusta History

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by creator1322 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

But i won't feel so bad hitting it hard at 60 trying to pass someone in the fast lane.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely don't, passing power is what a V6 is for
Old 02-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Trial User

I wouldn't consider that high mileage at all. And it is actually good for the motor to keep it high in the RPM range to help burn off any debris that can build up from daily driving and poor gas/oil.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by creator1322 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd like to draw on everyone's experience.

My 03 V6 auto has about 119,000 and I'm wondering how to treat it.

Is it good to get the engine pushing 4000 rpms? For that matter, I haven't put this thing close to WOT at all.

Give me your high mileage driving input if you will.

Much appreciated! </TD></TR></TABLE>

High mileage input will not apply to you!

I have had several 4 cyl hondas with well over 200,000 miles and beat them day in and day out dont worry about your car as long as you kept up with proper maintenance it is still young and strong.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 AM

im glad i got a manual 4 cyl, lol
Old 02-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (vtecjerry)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecjerry &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't consider that high mileage at all. And it is actually good for the motor to keep it high in the RPM range to help burn off any debris that can build up from daily driving and poor gas/oil.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Funny you say that....it reminded me of when I was younger and my grandfather had the Jagaur XJ something....basically it was a 2 door coupe with a V12 motor.

He said he would drop it into 2nd on the freeway to get the RPMs really high to burn off debris and such that had built up.

I won't be dropping mine into 2nd at freeway speeds, but maybe I should bring up the RPMs now and than...since I NEVER do now.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:18 AM

It is wasn't made to go over 4000 rpms, then the tach wouldn't go that high. You aren't hurting anything. I know my wife drives our like it's gonna break if she pushed the pedal too hard, so i take it out 1-2 times a month and give it hell. Enjoy your car!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (wellinghurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wellinghurst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> so i take it out 1-2 times a month and give it hell. Enjoy your car!</TD></TR></TABLE>x2. Not to say beat the **** out of it, but getting the RPM's high won't hurt it as much as jack rabbit starts from lights and such abuse like that.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (wellinghurst)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wellinghurst &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is wasn't made to go over 4000 rpms, then the tach wouldn't go that high. You aren't hurting anything. I know my wife drives our like it's gonna break if she pushed the pedal too hard, so i take it out 1-2 times a month and give it hell. Enjoy your car!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I will take your advice before this post really starts relating my driving habits to their wives....

Thanks for all the reassurance...I will have more fun once in a while..
Old 02-07-2008, 07:37 AM

I have a high mileage 96 Accord EX that was owned by a pastor. It has the F22B1 Vtec engine. At 210,000 I did the best I could to blow it up - changed it to OBD I - took the rev limiter off and over revved it constantly. One time I accidently downshifted into second at about 80 and buried the tach past 8000. This was all several years ago. I still have the car with the same engine. It get almost 31 miles o the gallon and doesnt burn any oil. Recently I changed the timing belt for the first time at about 120K - 30k PAST WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO, and found out the balance shaft belt had long since broken and lay at the botom of the cover. I thought I heard a funny noise at one point. I have about 310,000 on the motor now and am thinking about bolting a turbo setup to it. Why would you baby a honda engine? Run it and enjoy it.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: High Mileage, Young Attitude... (NoSmoking)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NoSmoking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a high mileage 96 Accord EX that was owned by a pastor. It has the F22B1 Vtec engine. At 210,000 I did the best I could to blow it up - changed it to OBD I - took the rev limiter off and over revved it constantly. One time I accidently downshifted into second at about 80 and buried the tach past 8000. This was all several years ago. I still have the car with the same engine. It get almost 31 miles o the gallon and doesnt burn any oil. Recently I changed the timing belt for the first time at about 120K - 30k PAST WHAT ITS SUPPOSED TO, and found out the balance shaft belt had long since broken and lay at the botom of the cover. I thought I heard a funny noise at one point. I have about 310,000 on the motor now and am thinking about bolting a turbo setup to it. Why would you baby a honda engine? Run it and enjoy it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In reference to your post...it made me smile with that kind of story about a honda.

But i have to ask, does your HONDA ENGINE have any relevance to the dependability and build quality that I have in my '03.

I would like some quality opinions on this, as my hope would be that I could treat my newer honda that same as you treat yours... but I'm afraid that my 03 just isn't as tuff and sturdy as your 96.

Any comments?