Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

'08 accord burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: '08 accord burning oil

My S2000 does this also. Honda stated burning 1qt for every 1000 is normal. If Honda says it's ok then it's ok. Honda is great company and if it takes me to checking oil once in a while then I will. Stop being lazy. The right way is to check your fluid time to time anyways. Every car company has downside. We will never be satisfied. There is no such thing as PERFECT car. There is but it's called walking. I'd rather check my oil once in a while rather than getting my gas pedal get stuck to floor and running into a tree.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:02 PM
Occupy GDD

Originally Posted by HNDA_4SHOOR
My S2000 does this also. Honda stated burning 1qt for every 1000 is normal. If Honda says it's ok then it's ok. Honda is great company and if it takes me to checking oil once in a while then I will. Stop being lazy. The right way is to check your fluid time to time anyways. Every car company has downside. We will never be satisfied. There is no such thing as PERFECT car. There is but it's called walking. I'd rather check my oil once in a while rather than getting my gas pedal get stuck to floor and running into a tree.
LOL if you think burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is ok. Of course Honda is going to tell you it's normal, it cost them nothing vs actually fixing the problem.

OP, how did you break in the car? I'm not sure what weight you are using, but I'd try a 0w/5w-40 weight oil and see if that helps and switch brands.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also think burning 1qt of oil every 1k miles is not cool. And I also know Honda is doing something about it at this moment. There's nothing we can do but wait for solution. Whoever said "I'm never buying a Honda" <-
Old 02-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a little late, but good luck. Look at all the other cars out there that are doing the same thing. I'm in the same situation and cannot figure out what to do. Honda SUCKS!

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/A...sumption.shtml
Old 02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That software update is just to keep people waiting. Then they will say they need to do a compression test, etc etc.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:02 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkas22
This is a little late, but good luck. Look at all the other cars out there that are doing the same thing. I'm in the same situation and cannot figure out what to do. Honda SUCKS!

Here is the TSB.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
A11-033.pdf (125.0 KB, 9834 views)
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
Here is the TSB.
I already got the update and I am gonna get an oil change. Hoping this works. By the looks of it, other people have gotten it done and it has done nothing! I still think this is just to stall time so people will hold onto the cars longer. And the value of the car will just keep going down.
I went to various dealers to see what they would give me for my car like 3 months ago and the highest quote I got was 13,500. I didn't want to let it go for that price. Now I got some more quotes just a couple weeks ago. They are offering me 10,000. The value of this car is depreciating FAST! I should of taken the 13,500 when I had the opportunity!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:53 AM
Old Member

I'll assume you got a V6 also?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by GoLowDrew
I'll assume you got a V6 also?
Nope. Mines a 4 cylinder. It happens on both 4 and 6.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Trial User

I also have a 2008 LX-P which has had the oil consumtpion issues. about 10K miles ago the engine started making a screech at startup. My dealer said it was due to low oil. I have never had a honda or any other car use that much oil so I didn't think much of it but then the noise returned. I brought to another dealer who said it was the PCM recall that was the problem. Seemed to be running better but then again just as my maintenance minder came on the oil pressure light came on....checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts. The tech said we need to do a oil consumption test to determine if it is above the 1 quart per 1000 mi. REALLY??? does honda really think that is an acceptable tolerance???? I don't, I am thinking that honda is really losing the quality and after 3 hondas this may be my last.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by elindemann
The tech said we need to do a oil consumption test to determine if it is above the 1 quart per 1000 mi. REALLY??? does honda really think that is an acceptable tolerance???? I don't, I am thinking that honda is really losing the quality and after 3 hondas this may be my last.
I know Nissan is like 1 qt every 750 miles. And Porsche is like 1 qt every 700 miles.

GLD (former owner of Nissan). GLD (not an owner of Porsche).

So it's not surprising for Honda to say that now. That's how it goes now today.

Quality sucks across the board. Get used to adding oil every once in a while. That's what dad and grandfather used to do on the weekend. We have been spoiled for the last two decades (with perfect engines).
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is an update. After the oil consumption update, after 911 miles my engine was still burning oil. Honda restarted the oil consumption study, and at 2500 miles I noticed the oil is half way down the dipstick. I will take it back to dealership on tuesday to see what is going on, and will post the results.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vodkas22

I saw that post a while ago. And told honda of america that there are several other owners having this problem, and it should be resolved. Between my complaining and the complaints online, they created that PCM update which was suppose to resolve the issue.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by elindemann
I also have a 2008 LX-P which has had the oil consumtpion issues. about 10K miles ago the engine started making a screech at startup. My dealer said it was due to low oil. I have never had a honda or any other car use that much oil so I didn't think much of it but then the noise returned. I brought to another dealer who said it was the PCM recall that was the problem. Seemed to be running better but then again just as my maintenance minder came on the oil pressure light came on....checked the oil and it was down 2 quarts. The tech said we need to do a oil consumption test to determine if it is above the 1 quart per 1000 mi. REALLY??? does honda really think that is an acceptable tolerance???? I don't, I am thinking that honda is really losing the quality and after 3 hondas this may be my last.
I gave this same argument to corporate as well as the dealership, maintained a polite mannerism. They stated that as an industry 1qt per 1000mi is normal consumption. So then when I told them that why should anyone follow the maintenance minder, they said the cars have higher efficiency and should be able to work fine under those conditions. The maintenance minder in no way checks the viscosity of the oil or looks at the cleanliness of the oil. Instead it bases the need for an oil change on engine temperature and acceleration/braking frequency. In essence, it is another useless electronic component that should be ignored. I also asked about the oil pressure sensor, honda told me that the sensor will not read low oil until the engine is basically bone dry. As long as there is a drop of oil in the engine, the sensor will say there is a differential pressure and everything is ok.
It seems that my old 98 Camry, not only didn't consume oil, its sensors actually worked, the gas miles were better, and I had less problems with that car at 200k than I am having with this car at 50k. I don't know why Honda doesn't want to make their customers happy, it seems that they want to drive their customers to other manufacturers.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:47 AM
Trial User

my girlfriend's car is having the same problem. i came to this forum looking for a solution, and i have found several unsure solutions... vct actuator, pcv valve, ecu reprogram.

i'm reluctant at having her replace anything other than the $10 pcv, since there might already be permanent damage to the piston rings.

and then there is honda playing dumb about this; 1qt/1k mile? what a pile of junk they stuck under the hood!
Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Old Member

Originally Posted by roastbeefmike

and then there is honda playing dumb about this; 1qt/1k mile? what a pile of junk they stuck under the hood!
Not to defend Honda, but as a past owner of (06 Accord) K24 I4 engine, it was one of most perfect engines. I don't know what Honda did to it from 08+. Maybe the Accountants came in and used cheaper parts. The K24 have been perfect and bullet proof in the past.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Trial User

thanks for all the help, but we are going to dump the car off on carmax or honda, whoever gives us more.
i'm certain the vtc actuator is the culprit, and she has had the startup grind for some time (with honda turning a blind eye). i'm worried that the catalytic converters are going to have a shorter life because of the excess waste blowing though them, and the internal damage is already permanent.
thanks again.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Trial User

If the odo has less than 60K on the clock, claim powertrain warranty. You'll have to do the oil consumption test 3x, and work with your service advisor, service manager, and finally the district rep. I bought my '08 with 40K on it, and it was smokin'.

All said and done, turns out the number one cylinder failed, and Honda authorized a new short block. Stick to your guns, and follow procedure. Keep all paper work.

Best of luck,

C