Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

wheels not centered? Suspension problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:48 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: wheels (wesk18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now i am driving with a bad spindle,
what problems does a front right bad spindle will cause me while driving???

now my car pulls to the right side is the bad spindle at fault?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't remeber what the car is, does it have double wishbone front suspension? If so then by "bad spindle" do you mean that the upper part of the upright is bent?

This might mean that whether or not you manage to get equal side to side camber (which would require camber adjusters) that the king pin inclination (aka 'steering axis inclination') may be different on each side. This would create a difference in scrub radius on the damaged side (different to the correct SR, which is probably zero or very close to it), and this could easily cause a pull as it will cause contact patch forces to be fed into the steering unequally on either side.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheels (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you get an alignment? Did you get a print of the specs?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did a manual alignment only the fronts and no i didnt get a print, the guy told me to get some camber kits so i could get that +3.00 on botch sides....
iam putting tokico blues so my car can be drop 1.25 from stock in oder for me not to buy camber kits

Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheels (johnlear)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnlear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can't remeber what the car is, does it have double wishbone front suspension? If so then by "bad spindle" do you mean that the upper part of the upright is bent?

This might mean that whether or not you manage to get equal side to side camber (which would require camber adjusters) that the king pin inclination (aka 'steering axis inclination') may be different on each side. This would create a difference in scrub radius on the damaged side (different to the correct SR, which is probably zero or very close to it), and this could easily cause a pull as it will cause contact patch forces to be fed into the steering unequally on either side.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i am just know that i need this spindle, i need # 1 plus the wheel hub..
when i jack up my car the front right wheel it can be move up and down and left and right

Old 02-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> well i am just know that i need this spindle, i need # 1 plus the wheel hub..
when i jack up my car the front right wheel it can be move up and down and left and right </TD></TR></TABLE>
Your pic didn't display, but from your (vague) description it sounds like your hub bearings are worn?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnlear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Your pic didn't display, but from your (vague) description it sounds like your hub bearings are worn?</TD></TR></TABLE>
well thats what i was told, that i need a spindle so i went it go what i need!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well thats what i was told, that i need a spindle so i went it go what i need!</TD></TR></TABLE>

My problem with this description is that FWD cars don't have 'spindles' as such (aka 'stub axles'), except at the rear. At the front they have bearings housed in the suspension 'upright' (or called the 'strut assembly' with Mac struts), and a hub which fits into the bearings and carries the brake rotor and wheel, and the axle shaft which fits into splines in the centre of the hub.

So what part is your mechanic reffering to when he says "spindle"??
Old 02-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My problem with this description is that FWD cars don't have 'spindles' as such (aka 'stub axles'), except at the rear. At the front they have bearings housed in the suspension 'upright' (or called the 'strut assembly' with Mac struts), and a hub which fits into the bearings and carries the brake rotor and wheel, and the axle shaft which fits into splines in the centre of the hub.

So what part is your mechanic reffering to when he says "spindle"?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well i am not sure i'll find out!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it true that when lowering a car, both radius rods become loose and need to be shorter!!
Old 02-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheels (flight50)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flight50 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you did the right thing. get the parts yourself. i got mine from the local junkyard and did the work myself with the help of a friend. shops rip you off. they have all the right tools and could do a job in 3 times less than what they charge you but they make the profit by over charging. they jack off with the remaining time they said it would take. </TD></TR></TABLE>

true true, and they claim they work by the book, what book let me see it ha ha ha
Old 02-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it true that when lowering a car, both radius rods become loose and need to be shorter!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
No.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what u mean no, u even said that u need too
Old 02-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johnlear &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hotrodaccord said; "when you lower your car it changes the caster angle, to fix it you need to shorten your radius rod or get a caster adjustment kit if they make one(not sure on that) when you do the car will handle better and make better tuns in the parking lot"

Unless the suspension has some anti-dive geometry (and I'm pretty certain that Accords don't) then lowering the suspension won't cause any change in caster angle, camber is a different story.

The front wheels do look a long way back in the arches, I don't know why this would be but it isn't necessarily a problem in itself if the supension geometry is still within spec. You really need to have the alignment checked to find out what the caster angles on each side are, if the car is damaged in a manner that causes the lower ball joints to be farther back in relation to the upper ball joints then caster will be less than it should be, which isn't a good thing for straight line stability, steering feel / weight (too light!), steering response, or steered camber changes (i.e. caster causes the outside front wheel to gain neg camber as it's steered and the IF to gain pos camber, both good things for grip in tighter corners as it helps to counteract the undesirable camber changes due to body roll, but the less caster there is the less this affect will be).

On my CB7 the front wheels look opposite to yours, i.e. they are forward in the arches, but this is as a result of deliberately doubling the caster angles by shortening the radius rods.

Regards from Oz,
John.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it true that when lowering a car, both radius rods become loose and need to be shorter!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

not that I've ever heard.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:27 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i am just know that i need this spindle, i need # 1 plus the wheel hub..
when i jack up my car the front right wheel it can be move up and down and left and right</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats sounds like a wheel bearing to me. But you are saying they are telling you to get the knuckle? (based on the diagram).
Old 02-15-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what u mean no, </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I meant 'no' to the first part of your question, and 'no' to the second part.

The only things that could cause the radius rods to become "loose" are the forward attachment nut or the two rear bolts becoming loose, or the rubber bush at the forward end collapsing. Lowering the suspension causes none of these things to happen.

There is no need to shorten the radius rod, whether or not the car is lowered.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u even said that u need too</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know how you got that impression. I never said that you 'need' to shorten the radius rods if you lower the suspension, and neither will lowering the car affect caster angle (which is affected by changing radius rod length).

If you choose to increase caster angle in order to have better on and off centre steering feel, better steering response, and improved 'steered' camber angles then you can do so by shortening the radius rods. This is the case whether or not the suspension is lowered.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheels (TouringAccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TouringAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats sounds like a wheel bearing to me. But you are saying they are telling you to get the knuckle? (based on the diagram).</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea sounds like a bearing problem to me.. maybe u should take it to another shop it sounds like the guy u talked to dosnt kno wat he's talking about... or maybe the knucle is bent? did he say it was bent or something?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM

Default Re: wheels (loup05)

what shop did you go to?

have you tried wheel house tires? in rosemead? nextdoor to 88 rotors and ricks burger?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Re: wheels (k1dd)

heres the info.

Wheel House Tire
Johnnie Yip
8630 E. Garvey Ave.
Rosemead, CA, 91770
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k1dd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what shop did you go to?

have you tried wheel house tires? in rosemead? nextdoor to 88 rotors and ricks burger?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I WENT TO SOME ALINGMENT & FRAME IN WASHINGTON AND SAN PEDRO
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wesk18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I WENT TO SOME ALINGMENT & FRAME IN WASHINGTON AND SAN PEDRO</TD></TR></TABLE>

oh.. cool, i heard wheelhouse does a good job tho
Old 02-15-2008, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by k1dd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

oh.. cool, i heard wheelhouse does a good job tho</TD></TR></TABLE>
yup, well ill see wuz up i got the spindle today, taken it to my mechanic tomorrow!!
Old 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Re: wheels (SuShiBoiiii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SuShiBoiiii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some reason the front wheels looks like its sitting hella far back is that just me?

nvm just read the whole thread yeah this has to do with a rod get it checked out </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 03-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wheels (mrmjn111)

my results after chaging the rear beam and front beam, both lca , and rod and the right spindle and finally the right axle!

BEFORE

AFTER

But I got One Problem!!!

Modified by wesk18 at 10:14 PM 3/3/2008
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this threads been going on for awhile, i kinda forgot half of it and dont want to re-read, want to sum it up on exactly what was the problem?

Quick Reply: wheels not centered? Suspension problem?