Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Oil in coolant and Leaky fuel lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in coolant and Leaky fuel lines

So i just completed a several month process of going in to fix a busted valve. Today I finally finished putting everything back together and tried starting it back up for the first time.

I have two major issues:

1. Fuel is leaking from the fuel return line or the fuel supply line when I attempt to start the car up (dry start without holding down the clutch). I'm not sure which it is.

2. There is engine oil in my coolant. The engine oil in the coolant is very dark though. I replaced the engine oil today with brand new stuff.

I have no idea how #2 happened as I just replaced the head gasket. So it would insinuate that the gasket has blown already. Or could it mean the engine head was not fastened down tight enough? I followed the instructions in the shop manual.

If it is a head gasket failure, why would a brand new gasket fail like that?

If there's any feedback or anything I've missed because I was too eager to start the car up, let me know. I'm all ears.

Thanks.
Old 07-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: Oil in coolant and Leaky fuel lines

1.) You're gonna have to find that on your own. Shouldn't be hard to pinpoint it. Have someone crank over the car while you look for the leak.

2.)There's a bunch of reasons why a brand new headgasket would fail. Improper torque, wrong torque sequence, reusing old head bolts, gasket installed incorrectly, mating surfaces not clean, mating surfaces not truly flat, etc etc.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Oil in coolant and Leaky fuel lines

I would perform a leakdown test to confirm the problem