Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Accord EX V6--ATF line leaking

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord EX V6--ATF line leaking

Forum,
I have an ATF leak (due to corrosion) in the metal tubing that connects the hose exiting the bottom of the radiator to the hose that rises to the transmission. The failed metal tubing has a threaded connection securing it to the hose on its intake and is connected to the riser hose via a hose clamp; the metal tubing is fastened to the radiator via bracket welded to the metal tube. It is clear that I need to replace this metal tubing, but the many schematics available on-line are not clear as to the nomenclature of the part (most feature hand-drawn depictions that do not resemble the part installed in my Accord). Can you assist with: the nomenclature of the part, vendors that sell it, and a general idea of the purpose of this metal tube (it seems superfluous: why not simply run a hose from the radiator directly to the transmission?)
Many thanks in advance, JTandMarsh

Last edited by JTandMarsh; 07-04-2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: accuracy of title
Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2000 Accord EX V6--ATF line leaking

While that fitting is not a separate piece that can be purchased as far as I know, if you can mach the thread of it I'm sure you could find a replacement fitting at Ace or similar hardware stores. You should probably replace the radiator if one of the fittings is that badly corroded though,
Denso 221-3213 Denso 221-3213
is what you would need
The following users liked this post:
Old 07-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks much Bavarian. A quick clarification:
1. The radiator is not corroded only this intermediate metal tubing connected via a bracket to the radiator
2. The schematics identify the part as, "Pipe C" it fits between the hose exiting the radiator and the hose rising to the transmission

I worked with the local Honda dealer to try and clarify; they were quite convinced the part was actually Pipe C, so I ordered one. I picked it up this morning...it is not the same shape as the part installed in my Accord. I may find myself adapting some connections and bending some tubing to fit the contours of my vehicle.

I appreciate the steer for a replacement fitting--looks like I'll need it!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

It may be less trouble to upgrade to an external after market transmission cooler. the kits are fairly inexpensive, not terrible to install and could potentially perform better. something with 3/8" hose should fit fine.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hayden makes a line called Rapid Cool. They advertise it as "33% more efficient than a comparable tube and fin design". It is. I have had three different coolers and the Rapid Cool has worked the best for me.