Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

not a good sign

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not a good sign

Alright, so as of late my 3rd gear had been scratching (when i say as of late what i really mean is as of last year) but ive been hesitant to fix the problem knowing that im just putting a new long block in soon (f20b). This mindset occurred before 2 hit and runs on my car costing me around 4000 dollars (every time it happened right as i was about to order the engine too, someone doesn't want me getting this swap).

In the last few months i had noted that i could shift into and out of 3rd gear without even using my clutch (picking the scab).

today as i was driving to red lobster (******* cheesy biscuits, yes!) and humming in 3rd gear it just popped out, me and my car have had disagreements before... but this is unacceptable.

im thinking it might be the syncro (when i say thinking i mean hoping), when im in 3rd gear it runs fine, and if need be i can just hold it in and work around it. im wondering if this is going to lead to something more serious? (common sense says yes, good thing i have none of that) i guess my rational is that if im just going to get a new engine/tranny why spend more money on this one?

side note, this may help in troubleshooting. My first gear doesn't have and has never had a lock on it, if i wanted i could **** too 1st from 70mph, i have yet to try that
Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 PM

Default Re: not a good sign (Eugenics)

bump
Old 04-29-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be a syncro or a bent shifter fork, you cant really tell till you take it apart
Old 04-29-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: not a good sign (Jdm91Teg)

lets just hope its one of the thing-o-ma-bobs you mentioned

anyone else?
Old 04-30-2005, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eugenics &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

side note, this may help in troubleshooting. My first gear doesn't have and has never had a lock on it, if i wanted i could **** too 1st from 70mph, i have yet to try that</TD></TR></TABLE>
What kind of lock do you expect it to have?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: not a good sign (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What kind of lock do you expect it to have? </TD></TR></TABLE>

my car doesn't let me shift into first unless im almost stopped. Im sure I could force it in there never tried that though.

Anyways, how your transmission fluid, and whens the last time you checked it? I've heard of gears popping out when there wasn't enough fluid. My CRX would do that with 5th always scared the **** out of me.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: not a good sign (AccidentproWn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccidentproWn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my car doesn't let me shift into first unless im almost stopped. Im sure I could force it in there never tried that though.

Anyways, how your transmission fluid, and whens the last time you checked it? I've heard of gears popping out when there wasn't enough fluid. My CRX would do that with 5th always scared the **** out of me.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im thinking its just the fork... friends brother had same thing happen with his VR-4, granted it wasn't from neglect. And the fluid needs changed bad, but paying tuition and everything else has put a cramp on me. i just want to do this ******* swap, but something always happens right before i can get it. so doing maintenance on something im not going to use seems redundant and pointless but here goes..

ill report back with the results when i take it to the shop.