Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Installing the timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing the timing belt

Question to you guys: What is the best way to install the timing belt after taking it off? My brother and I are at the point of getting the new belt on and we are stuck trying to figure out how to install it without getting too many or not enough belt between each section (like between the water pump and crankshaft, or between the crankshaft and gear pulley). I realize now I should have put a mark on one tooth of each gear and the same spot on the old belt and then transferred the three marks on the old belt to the new belt- that way I have an exact reference between each gear and the number of teeth between them.

What is the best way to remedy this so I don't have extra belt length or not enough? I am assuming it matters to be off by one or two teeth and that is the last thing I want.

Thanks!

1994 accord lx manual trans
Old 12-03-2018, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Installing the timing belt

Ive done numerous tb on these f22..i always start from the crankshaft to the camshaft sproket and fet all the slack out on that straight length..loop it around the rest of the accessories...the tensioner past the cam sprocket will take the slack out of the belt..the most important part is the beginning..aince this enging turns ccw i always get all the slack out between the crankshaft and cam
Old 12-03-2018, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice! Exactly what I wanted to hear! Hoping to finish it all up tonight in a freezing garage as it is supposed to feel like single digits outside.

What did you mean to say in place of the word "fet"?

Edit: you meant to write get.

Last edited by Pauls94accord; 12-03-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pauls94accord
Nice! Exactly what I wanted to hear! Hoping to finish it all up tonight in a freezing garage as it is supposed to feel like single digits outside.

What did you mean to say in place of the word "fet"?

Edit: you meant to write get.
yes get...once you have everything back together and make sure the tensioner bolt is tight so the belt dont walk off the cam sprocket, rotate the engine ccw 3 times and bring it back to tdc..loosen the tensoiner nut 3/4 and move the cam sprocket three teeth and you will notice the tb is nice and tight between cam and crank...now the tensioner will take up the slack on the slack side...now snug up the tensioner bolt...done...
Old 12-03-2018, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you have the balance shafts aligned or you will have a vibration..
Old 12-04-2018, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah that worked! My problem the first time trying to install the belt was I inadvertently ordered the vtec kit and with 112 teeth it was not going on as expected. 113 teeth is much better. With the correct belt it took literally 15 seconds to get the belt on so thanks for that!

You answered our next set of questions before I could even ask them. The only other questions we have is does the tensioner bolt stay on after all is said and done and tightened down? Some say that you don't need it when everything is finished. Also, do we tighten the tensioner nut before or after we get the cover on or does it matter? Any other special steps after this that is not covered by most instructions? Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, can you point out the tensioner bolt you are talking about...is it the one that is torqued to 33 ft-lbs that is pressed against both tensioners or the one that they say to remove and not install. I have some pics from my install.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevermind...we got it installed last night and the timing looks perfect. We didn't finish the job because I have been really good lately at ordering the wrong belts so the A/C and alternator belts will go on today hopefully and then we can start her up.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pauls94accord
Nevermind...we got it installed last night and the timing looks perfect. We didn't finish the job because I have been really good lately at ordering the wrong belts so the A/C and alternator belts will go on today hopefully and then we can start her up.
sorry for not responding..looks like you finished the job..nice..i was talking about the main tensioner bolt...the little bolt i leave off..reason...that bolt will lock the tensioner...having it removed i can tension the belt later down the road id needed without removing the tb covers...