Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1.

82 Accord, EK1

Just put the head back on, and I set the #1 to TDC, but I'm still having issues.

No timing marks on the crank pulley, they're on the flywheel. Spec timing is 12 degrees, on the flywheel I see 12 with two hash marks on either side, and then there's a mark if I keep turning the crank which looks like a 1 over a 1 with a horizontal line in between, looks like a fraction. I assume that is TDC.

So I align TDC, the camshaft has a dot on either side which I align with the top of the head. ALSO, there is an arrow just below the top of the head, towards the front. (Left of cam sprocket) It points at the crank, but nothing specific I can tell if the dots are aligned to the top of the head.

After I set the dots, I set the distributor rotor to spark plug one. I know the firing order is 1-3-4-2, but she still doesn't work. It will turn over, and it might get spark once or twice, or it will STOP, so I wanna make sure I'm not colliding with the valves before I continue.

If I put my finger over the spark plug hole why someone else turns it over, I feel compression as air pushes past my finger, and suction (for the combustion stage I imagine while both valves are closed) so I don't think the valves got hurt. Waiting for my neighbor mechanic to return this weekend for help, but I wouldn't mind some insight in the mean time.

Thanks much!
Old 07-14-2004, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1. (IanCT)

To be sure your cam is setting right, the cam lobe high points at #1 should be pointing to the 7&4 'O'clock positions when the cam is at #1 TDC. It's been a long time....but I thought there was "up" on the inside of the cam pulley.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1. (hondadude)

There is an UP label, which is pointing up, is there a way the cam sprocket can be off? There are alignment marks on the cam to sprocket right? could it be backwards? I'll check the 7 and 4 oclock positions.

Pulling my hair out... Lots left.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1. (IanCT)

Well, I got the manual from eBay, and asked the seller to send me the info on firing order.

All diagrams I saw were showing #1 at the bottom of the distributor cap, but it's the other way, #1 towards the firewall. It should have been obvious but I didn't get it. I can get it to turn over and run for a brief moment, so I know I'm close. Probably 1 tooth off on the cam gear, or the dist. shaft. But I feel better about it now.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:34 PM

Default Fixed! Re: Help timing after rebuilt head - 82 Accord EK1. (IanCT)

Got it up and running. After getting the firing order correct, it ran and I timed it to 12 degrees but it still wasn't smooth idling, AND it was way under powered. I figured I was a tooth off at the cam so I waited for the book to come, and it arrived today. The marks on the cam for this specific year are not for aligning to the head.

On the cam, make the UP label at the top of course, and the mark on the left of the gear gets lined up with the arrow on the side of the head, about two teeth down from the top. The mark on the opposite side is to tell you that if it aligns with the arrow, you are 180 degrees out of time. (Which is obvious because the UP label is DOWN. )

So now she runs smooth and full of pep. Now I have to find an A/C hose, and figger out if the ball joints come off the control arm, or if they are molded INTO the control arm. Drivers side is bad. But thats for another thread.

-Ian