Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Exhaust installing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust installing

I have a 97 se accord auto

is it possible to intsall my own exhaust.. in this picture of an exhaust http://www.speednstylez.com/pr...=1101 (yes i know it is for civic, just using it as an example) it shows like it is all bolt on and no welding.

Or is it better to just take it to someone to redue the whole piping from front to back
Old 09-17-2005, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Exhaust installing (Honda_Accord)

you could install it urself like i did mine, but the pipe wasnt bent the right way just a little so now when i turn right it hits lol im gonna take it in to get fixed soon
Old 09-17-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Exhaust installing (egzo04)

You can do it yourself. It's pretty easy. Just make sure to spray some penatrating oil on your existing bolts to loosen them up a little so it's easier to take off.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:40 AM

Sometimes penetrating oil isn't enough. You will probably need an impact wrench. I had to heat my bolts with an acetylene torch to get them loose.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:56 AM

Default Re: Exhaust installing (I R Tylor)

in my experiences most the time you can just use a breaker bar and some pb blaster to get off the exhaust bolts. since you are installing a cat back? i dont think you should have any problems. you might have to get new bolts[dont just buy any from ace hardware as they have to be heat and strength rated]
Old 09-17-2005, 12:05 PM

hmm i just used two adjustable wrences to get mine off, i dont know why they need breaker bars and ****, maybe its because i lift weights i donno
Old 09-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust installing (egzo04)

in the Guide to basic accords it says

"The role of the catalytic converter is to oxidize the dangerous carbonmonoxide into its less dangerous cousin, carbon dioxide, as well as burn off excess gas that was never burnt during combustion. Modification of the cat (as it is called) is not recomended on 96+ accords, as there is an 02 sensor located in the cat on these models (this is where the term OBD2 comes in, see bottom for explination), and a non-properly working cat will result in CEL/Horriblegas mileage. There are basically 3 types of cat modification: "

what exactly am i doing here.. am i leaveing the catalytic converter of my old exhaust alone and putting all my newer exhaust on around it or what? this part confuses me the most
Old 09-17-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most cat-back systems are exactly what they say "cat-back"...it will bolt up to your stock cat.
Old 09-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the Guide to basic accords it says

"The role of the catalytic converter is to oxidize the dangerous carbonmonoxide into its less dangerous cousin, carbon dioxide, as well as burn off excess gas that was never burnt during combustion. Modification of the cat (as it is called) is not recomended on 96+ accords, as there is an 02 sensor located in the cat on these models (this is where the term OBD2 comes in, see bottom for explination), and a non-properly working cat will result in CEL/Horriblegas mileage. There are basically 3 types of cat modification: "

what exactly am i doing here.. am i leaveing the catalytic converter of my old exhaust alone and putting all my newer exhaust on around it or what? this part confuses me the most</TD></TR></TABLE>

will bolt up to your stock cat....

you will need:
ratchet
vice grips
penetrating spray
breaker bar

a few things to note -honda used spring loaded bolts for the flanges...you'll see what this means when you get under the car -they can be a bitch.

The cat is not connect to the mid pipe via bolts. rather, there are studs coming out of the cat that are threaded, and a nut is just tightened down onto that stud...be carefull not to strip those studs like i do
Old 09-17-2005, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default wondering

I was wondering if getting just the tip till the first bolt up (not anything else liek middle and beggining pipe) would be a good idea and make a diffrence in power or anything or for that matter even work? or is it just a good idea to get the whole system
Old 09-18-2005, 01:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wondering (Honda_Accord)

bump
Old 09-20-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wondering (Honda_Accord)

I dont wanna get any kind of exhaust thats gonna sound all ricey and sound like a humming bird is righ tnext to your car.. Whats a brand that produces good deep exahust sound? or size pipe (im gonna be turboing soon, i know im suppose to get 2.5 inch pipe or higher for it)
Old 09-20-2005, 07:44 AM

question...i am planning on buying and installing my own exhaust pretty soon, can u just use the bolts from the old exhaust, do any exhaust kits come with the bolts or what?
Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jokestar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jokestar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">question...i am planning on buying and installing my own exhaust pretty soon, can u just use the bolts from the old exhaust, do any exhaust kits come with the bolts or what?</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol did i miss something? or was that some kidn of smart *** remark
Old 09-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda_Accord)

My Invidia exhaust came with new bolts. I suppose you could use old ones but I wouldn't plus I broke several of them taking the old exhaust off. It took my maybe 30 minutes to install the cat-back exhaust when I put it on my car. It did take me slightly longer than that to get the old one off though. I just used a rachet and open end wrench and they usually either came loose or broke off. I couldn't really get my impact wrench in there so I just used a rachet. I did have some PB blaster a propane torch to heat the old bolts up but honestly I'm not sure if I used it or not. You don't need it if you don't have one.

It's really not that much to it and I would do it myself if I was you unless it is one where you have to bend the pipes or weld them together then I might not unless you know how to weld and have a pipe bender.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: (hometheaterman)

Yeah, I just did mine last week, took about an hour. The hardest bolts to take off were the one's bolted to the cat.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sj993)

Yeah I had a slight bit of trouble with those bolts as they were hard to get to and one wouldn't come off but the bolt just broke in half when I twisted it hard. I had to hammer it out as it was pressed in then just put a normal replacement bolt in as my exhaust came with bolts for there also.