Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC?

I have just recently had my timing belt replaced. Unforutunately I paid somebody to do it instead myself... cuz I was just being lazy! Anyways, I got it back & noticed that it was not running right. I felt a choking sensation on the engine whenever I was around 2500-3000 rpm. I checked to see if the timing was done right & noticed that when I align the TDC mark on the crank pulley, the cam gear dosent line up with the TDC marks. Looks like its slightly off one tooth. However, once I line up the TDC mark on the cam, then now the crank TDC is off. Isn't it suppose to be; once the TDC mark on the crank is lined then the cam TDC should be exactly aligned too? Plus, I checked the distrubutor timing with a timing light & shows that its off about 9 degrees. So from the looks of it, my valve timing is off along with my distrubutor. Somebody help me out, I still have a warranty on the labor.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC? (Project CD5)

just try to align it again, dont forget the motor has a slight rear tilt so take that into account when setting your cam sproket to tdc
Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC? (momstaxi)

Once you align the TDC mark on the crank, the cam sprocket should automaticly be at TDC too right? If not, then the cam is off a tooth.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC? (Project CD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project CD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Once you align the TDC mark on the crank, the cam sprocket should automaticly be at TDC too right? If not, then the cam is off a tooth.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, just remember if you are trying to be at TDC on cylinder No.1 the "UP" on the cam gear needs to be pointing up, then just line up the TDC marks on the crank pulley and the marks on the cam gear should line up as well, if not then it's off.

take it back and tell them it's off and make them fix it. They'll have to take it all back apart and redo it all.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Crankshaft & Camshaft @ TDC? (TouringAccord)

Remember that the arrow on the camshaft sprocket is only approximate. The REAL timing marks are 2 little dimples out near the sprocket teeth. Those should line up horizontally at the split line between head & valvecover.

If that's the marking you're looking at, then YES the camshaft timing is off. Go back to the mechanic & give him a chance to make it right.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:04 PM

Thanks alot fellas! I will take it back and have them rework the problem. Hopefully they dont gep me for fixing the problem then still charge me labor. Hard lesson learned here, good mechanics are hard to find.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM
SHAME ON YOU REBECCA!

Default Re: (Project CD5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Project CD5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have just recently had my timing belt replaced. Unforutunately I paid somebody to do it instead myself... cuz I was just being lazy! Anyways, I got it back & noticed that it was not running right. I felt a choking sensation on the engine whenever I was around 2500-3000 rpm. I checked to see if the timing was done right & noticed that when I align the TDC mark on the crank pulley, the cam gear dosent line up with the TDC marks. Looks like its slightly off one tooth. However, once I line up the TDC mark on the cam, then now the crank TDC is off. Isn't it suppose to be; once the TDC mark on the crank is lined then the cam TDC should be exactly aligned too? Plus, I checked the distrubutor timing with a timing light & shows that its off about 9 degrees. So from the looks of it, my valve timing is off along with my distrubutor. Somebody help me out, I still have a warranty on the labor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm, you have a warranty why not take it back.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Project CD5)

if they try to charge some much as a cent I would raise hell. I mean honestly, they made a mistake, they should fix it free of charge. But before jumping to conclusions, take it back and talk to them, chances are they'll do the right thing