Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Consequences of a Timing Belt failure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Consequences of a Timing Belt failure?

Dear Experts,

I have a 1996 Honda Accord
2.2 VTEC engine, 5 speed

Today, I heard of someone who had their
timing belt self destruct.

If the timing belt on my VTEC engine were
to suddenly fail on me, would there be any
serious consequences?

If so, what would they be?

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Consequences of a Timing Belt failure?

Since this is a interference engine you will have a deathly consequences..bent valves..etc..better to change it now if you don't know the history of the vehicle..less than $100 to do it yourself...
Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motors toast
Old 01-26-2019, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Depends on how high the RPMs were and how long the engine continued to run after the failure. As mentioned above these are interference engines so when the timing between the camshaft and crankshaft are off. The pistons can come in contact with the valves. In most cases the engine will not be toast. Your cylinder head, or valves more specifically, may need to be replaced. Worse case, a valve broke and dropped into the cylinder causing damage to the piston top and combustion chamber as well.

Replacing the head with bent valves with a good used head or having the head rebuilt will usually be enough. Although sometimes a complete engine swap may be cheaper, if you are doing the work yourself.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Right. I'd heard of 2 different types of engines.

Where, if the timing belt failed,
One engine would be ok, but
the other engine would be damaged.

From what you say, the 2.2 VTEC will get damaged.

I'll be sure to get the timing belt changed
the next time it's due.

Thanks!
Old 01-27-2019, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What were getting at is if the engine is at a low rpm you have a chance of slapping a new belt on can keep on the road..alot of people try to start the vehicle after the belt breaks not knowing and completely ruin the valves..changing the tb is the first thing i do on these Honda's..
Old 01-27-2019, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder is there a way to 'inspect' the condition of the belt? Probably the labor (at a shop) to disassemble what's needed to see it would justify replacing the belt anyway. The Carfax on my 1999 doesn't show any history of it being replaced. It must have since it has 170k Speaking to the manager at a customer's Honda dealership I was surprised to learn just they don't report to Carfax - not all dealerships do.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you seat sniffers arent re-inventing the wheel here...pull the upper timing cover and inspect the belt...... usually a few 10mm bolts and done , also its due every 60k by mileage
Old 01-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Stelcom66
I wonder is there a way to 'inspect' the condition of the belt? Probably the labor (at a shop) to disassemble what's needed to see it would justify replacing the belt anyway. The Carfax on my 1999 doesn't show any history of it being replaced. It must have since it has 170k Speaking to the manager at a customer's Honda dealership I was surprised to learn just they don't report to Carfax - not all dealerships do.
lol...... ................ ... ............ .... ... lol anyone goes by the carfax for maintenance ?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dilbeckskate
you seat sniffers arent re-inventing the wheel here...pull the upper timing cover and inspect the belt...... usually a few 10mm bolts and done , also its due every 60k by mileage
105,000 on these cars...i change my tb every 90k to be safe
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually on these engines you have to remove the valve cover and everything attached to it, not a big deal really, but still. It's not just a pop the timing cover off type of inspection. As well, there are 2 intervals written in the Honda Shop Manual for these engines, mileage and time. Should also be noted that mileage has a sub interval, that is shorter, based on harsh driving conditions. So there are actually 3 intervals suggested for timing belt inspection/change.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostAccord
Actually on these engines you have to remove the valve cover and everything attached to it, not a big deal really, but still. It's not just a pop the timing cover off type of inspection. As well, there are 2 intervals written in the Honda Shop Manual for these engines, mileage and time. Should also be noted that mileage has a sub interval, that is shorter, based on harsh driving conditions. So there are actually 3 intervals suggested for timing belt inspection/change.
Good to know. When i'm able to I'll probably make an appointment to have it inspected, and anticipate it'll need to be replaced. Going forward time will be more of a significant factor with mine, I don't drive the car much as I have a company van.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Motors toast
Motor is not "toast". ...sheesh.

In the most of cases, the valve stem in two cylinders will be bent and the engine will run like crap and the noise it makes will compel the driver to wisely kill the engine immediately. But it will run. A compression test and smoke test will quickly determine a problem in one or both the heads. Worst case--and least likely--is damage to the cylinder/piston in any variety of ways due to the head of the valve breaking. Even then, the engine may still be candidate for repair, but it's a bill that the poor sop is likely not going to want to absorb.

After a timing belt/chain breaks on an interference engine, the heads will need to either be rebuilt or replaced. Upon removal of the heads, the cylinder walls and piston head directly below affected valves will be inspected for damage. The least expensive repair in such circumstances: Salvaged heads from a yard-- a pair of head gaskets and head bolts the only "new" parts required. Repair starts at $800--still plenty ouchy. This, on top of a not-insignificant expense of a timing belt job, of course.

Point is, a failed timing belt/chain/cam sprocket happens. And while it's definitely a hurty expensive repair, usually... usually... it's a straightforward, albeit pricey, recovery back on to the road without need to replace the engine.

Last edited by lothian; 04-12-2019 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Trial User

Motors toast
not nessarily if shut off quick enough or not up high in rpms sometimes you get lucky
Old 01-16-2020, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kenneth Murray
not nessarily if shut off quick enough or not up high in rpms sometimes you get lucky

we don’t get lucky 🍀

when it snaps the cam stops rotating and the valves that it was pushing out the second the belt snapped. stay pushed out and get slapped. Usually two in a single cylinder or four split between two cylinders however lucky you get