Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Bad Engine Problems On 01 EX Is It o2 Sensor?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Engine Problems On 01 EX Is It o2 Sensor?

My 01 EX with the F23A4

For A few months it was throwing code P1259...Vtec Malfunction. The car would go into limp mode frequently because of it. About a week or so after it started doing that the engines sound just went to crap. It sounds garbled low pitched and diseased.

A few Days ago I replaced the gasket on the Vtec solenoid there was a ton of crap on the filter so I assumed that was the problem.

After re setting the ecu to clear the codes when I started the car the CEL came on right away. Since I no longer have access to a code reader I jumped it and what I got was code 41 Primary Heated o2 Sensor. The Vtec code was gone.

My question is could the bad o2 sensor be causing the abnormal engine sound from the car running rich? The Car is still going into limp mode and wont go past 4k rpm. When its not in limp mode the car seems to have normal power just sounds really really bad, Ill get a video of it next time I see my friend whos using the car.

If its not the o2 sensor im like 90% sure the accord will need a new engine =\.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Bad Engine Problems On 01 EX Is It o2 Sensor?

Originally Posted by IconOfSin
My 01 EX with the F23A4

For A few months it was throwing code P1259...Vtec Malfunction. The car would go into limp mode frequently because of it. About a week or so after it started doing that the engines sound just went to crap. It sounds garbled low pitched and diseased.

A few Days ago I replaced the gasket on the Vtec solenoid there was a ton of crap on the filter so I assumed that was the problem.

After re setting the ecu to clear the codes when I started the car the CEL came on right away. Since I no longer have access to a code reader I jumped it and what I got was code 41 Primary Heated o2 Sensor. The Vtec code was gone.
My question is could the bad o2 sensor be causing the abnormal engine sound from the car running rich? The Car is still going into limp mode and wont go past 4k rpm. When its not in limp mode the car seems to have normal power just sounds really really bad, Ill get a video of it next time I see my friend whos using the car.

If its not the o2 sensor im like 90% sure the accord will need a new engine =\.
If that noise you got from the engine can be discribed as knocking, hammering or tapping, that 'crap" (your words) could well be sludge or coke (overheated oil).
The primary O2 sensor will effect drivability issues and gas milage, but will have no effect on engine internal health.
If you're still dealing with a "distressed" engine; it may well be worth your time to pull the oil pan and inspect the Oil Pump pickup and pan for sludge deposits. That 'crap' came from somewhere; and it sounds (if your discription is accurate) that it's already done it's work.

P
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 AM

Ill pull the oil pan later in the week see what I find.

There was sludge in the oil before, back around september I blew the head gasket and the shop that fixed it didn't do an oil flush even tho coolant mixed with the oil making the oil look like something from starbucks.

Since discovering that about a month after the repair ive changed the oil several times and used sea foam 3 times. The first time it was done with sea foam the oil was chunky.

I also Changed the Vtec solenoid gasket, The screen filter had some copper flakes in it im guessing from the head gasket repair.

Ill get a video of the sound next time my friend whos using the car is in town.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by IconOfSin
Ill pull the oil pan later in the week see what I find.

There was sludge in the oil before, back around september I blew the head gasket and the shop that fixed it didn't do an oil flush even tho coolant mixed with the oil making the oil look like something from starbucks.

Since discovering that about a month after the repair ive changed the oil several times and used sea foam 3 times. The first time it was done with sea foam the oil was chunky.

I also Changed the Vtec solenoid gasket, The screen filter had some copper flakes in it im guessing from the head gasket repair.

Ill get a video of the sound next time my friend whos using the car is in town.
No need on the video.

Copper flecks you noticed were bearing material from (what I suspect) the Connecting Rod Bearings. Once antifreeze gets into the oil, really bad things start happening; it drastically alters the lubrication properties of the engine oil, wipeing out bearings. The sludge / coke didn't help things, what being the consistancy of grit and all.

GM had a similar situation with their '80's generation 60deg 173cu in V6; very suseptable the intake gasket failures wipeing out botton ends all over the place.

That shop you used did you no favors.

I fear the scene you'll be presented with when you drop the pan will not be pretty.

P
Old 01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ouch! This is not going to be pretty!

I had a big block Chevy that a dealer pulled the heads on, got anti-freeze into the oil and did not change the oil. It made it about 50 miles before it blew up!

I would contact the shop that did the work and start discussing the replacement engine they are going to install at no cost to you. (And look for an attorney to sue them if they don't jump right on it.)