Notices

Y8 Oil Pump, High Boost Vitara Set-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Y8 Oil Pump, High Boost Vitara Set-up

Hi guys, I've searched and read all about porting the Y8 pumps etc.. I've ported my Y8 pump and have polished it. I am not going to shim it though. I have a Y8/Z6 with Vitara's and will be pushing a ton of boost out of an HX35. Anyways While porting I noticed the threads from one of the sealing bolts and was wondering what you guys used to fill that in? Would JB Weld suffice for something like this?
Old 01-07-2010, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Y8 Oil Pump, High Boost Vitara Set-up

shimming it will be more affective then porting it..
Old 01-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That didn't answer my question, I'm not going to mess with anything like shimming it, I want this thing to last, I'm just porting it to make everything flow nicer. Would jbweld be good enough?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It came shimmed from Honda believe it or not, there is already a washer on the bolt. Now I was reading about chamfering the crank journals and opening up the bearing oiling holes and the main holes, what should I open them up to?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FSTSOHC
It came shimmed from Honda believe it or not, there is already a washer on the bolt. Now I was reading about chamfering the crank journals and opening up the bearing oiling holes and the main holes, what should I open them up to?
Better off matching the oil holes in the main bearing to the dia. of the oil supply holes in main girdle and debur the holes after enlarging.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedEF91
shimming it will be more affective then porting it..
wrong.

shimming a pump is like putting a stiffer spring in your waste gate. you wont notice the difference until you surpass the old pressure level, which is around 80psi.

your engine does not need over 80psi, even at WOT. not only that, but it takes work to create pressure, why waste work when you can put it down to the ground instead?

OP; dont worry about the threads, if you really want to clean them up pop out the bolt/plug on the end and flush them up.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, well my block is at the shop getting assembled and they just wanted to know what to open the holes in the bearings up to, and if they should even mess with something like that since the tight clearances. The pump is ported, and I used some JBweld to fill in the threads, hopefully it'll hold, if not, hopefully the filter grabs it out.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a write up on this ill try to find it when i get time or search my username in my build
Old 01-21-2010, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man if you scroll down https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/my-d16y8-300-350-whp-build-up-2096904/
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMCRX

Nice work I bookmark that build for the notes on the porting of the head.

As for the OP's question about how much to open the oil holes to match the girdle to bearings I used this article to help:
http://theoldone.com/articles/d_seri...building_tips/

help a lot for me.

I really think porting the oil pump does more than shimming the pump.
I even opened the oil galley in the block up a bit to help with vol.

If you ever been around HP v-8 the concern is more oil vol. not so much on oil pressure.
General rule of thumb if you maintain 10psi per 1k rpms your engine will be happy.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Endyne uses an aluminum epoxy to fill them...

Also keep in mind when you port/polish something the pressure goes down.. So shimming it might not be a terrible idea... the only way to KNOW is to assemble it as is and test what pressure it's making... if it's insufficient you can always shim the pump later.

Also as far as "hoping" the screen keeps the JB weld out of the engine if it doesn't hold... I'd just skip that step if I were you... the turbulence caused is not much and not really a big deal... I'd be much more concerned about sending a bunch of or even a little jb weld chunk through the engine.

As far as chamfering the oil holes... this is another thing that Endyne recomends and I don't see too many other people doing... it is a VERY common thing to do on muscle cars and V8's... but with the ridged design of the honda bearings I don't really see the point... It really opens you up to more problems then it solves...

Even on V8's/Muscle cars they really only do that on engines that are KNOWN to have oiling problems on the mains.

Good Luck!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crap i just looked i did not post the pic of the alum epoxy i used.

What i did was i went and got a piece of threaded alum i believe it was 3/8" NPT threaded it in and welded the top. Then smothened out the end piece to blend the end and used some alum epoxy and grinded it smoth. Ill try to find the pics.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On a note even if the JB breaks up it will go to the oil filter first.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea I figured if it chunks out, it'll be little pieces and it'll go directly to the filter. Thanks for the links, I spoke to my engine builder yesterday and he showed me what chamfering and everything is. He actually told me opening the bearing holes will do nothing for that motor, but to just chamfer the crank, and polish it. To port and shim the oil pump and he's going to see what else he can do to it to make it a high volume pump. We're also going to deburr everything that we can that'll make a difference, I'll post pictures when everything is said and done and I'll let you guys know what we did.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ugh so while porting I've hit the inside of the pump where the gears go, I took off quite a bit of metal without knowing, should I still be ok? Would it be a bad idea to use the old pump and to use the new gears? Or should I just purchase a new one and start over?
Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FSTSOHC
Ugh so while porting I've hit the inside of the pump where the gears go, I took off quite a bit of metal without knowing, should I still be ok? Would it be a bad idea to use the old pump and to use the new gears? Or should I just purchase a new one and start over?
When in doubt a new one and start over again.

Stick with a O.E.M. one and not one of those "race" ones from EGAY, they will only disappoint.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah the oem ones are dirt cheap like 80 bucks.

Every engine builder is differnt in sense of ways. I hear this and that. I built my motor the way i wanted it and in my research and what not. This motor runs great and cool along with no oil cooler i never ever see high temps even after 4 hard pulls it will rarely see anything over 210deg f and will cool down in about 2min.

Post pics of your pump mods. Remeber not to hit anywhere the oil pump gear rides.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll post pics when I get the chance, I just got out of surgery the other day so I'm still slow at moving around, and I've been really busy, my mom has cancer and I work 65 hours a week. I read your build thread, thing looks sick. I wish I had time to polish up the inside of my block but I just don't. Looks like I might be purchasing a new one, I'm going to look over the one I just did when I get home.