Notices

wrapping turbo pipings???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrapping turbo pipings???

i bought some aluminum wrap to be wrap on my a/c lines near the turbo manifold and since i have a couple of meters left, i decided to wrap my charge pipe(pipe connected to t/b and where the bov sits) thinking that it might help cool the passing air. will the wrap cool the passing air or there's no difference with it? is there any disadvantages for wrapping the charge pipe?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (_Endless_)

My friend used some aluminium rap for his cold air, and after a 300 mile drive it was as cold as if the car had not even been started, yet it used to get just as hot as the intake...I dont know if this would be the same on a turbo car, but it seemed to help a lot
Old 01-22-2003, 08:53 AM

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (madman13lm)

There is a difference in header wrap and A/C wrap. The A/C wrap is a shiny foil specifically designed for that purpose (prevent heat damage). The header wrap which is used for the exhaust piping, prevents heat loss while increasing performance. Header wrap is made of a cloth material that incorporates fiber glass to contain heat. I know my A/C wrap said that it shouldn't be used on exhaust piping. Hope this helps!
Old 01-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (maxpsi)

i didn't used it one exhaust piping coz it will destroy the a/c wrap, i just wrap the charge pipe. so the a/c wrapping will somehow help, but does it have any disadvantages, coz i was thinking that it might trap the heat inside rather than protect against it?
Old 01-22-2003, 05:30 PM

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (_Endless_)

Why would you want to wrap the charge pipe? Wouldn't you want heat to escape from the charge pipe resulting in a colder charge???? Maybe you should start a new thread about how everyone is using A/C and header wrap on there applications.
Old 01-22-2003, 11:40 PM

i think he meant wrapping the charge pipe with the same foam type heat insulation used on the a/c, not fiberglass cloth heat wrap used on headers.

i guess the logic in this is to shield the intake pipe from heat inside the engine bay to prevent it from conducting to the "cooler" air after going thru the IC and then going to the intake manifold.

most of the turbo kits are run with open air filters meaning there's no air box to shield it from engine bay heat so the turbo is basically sucking in hot air as well as passing thru the compressor of the turbo and being compressed thus creating even more heat(compressing air heats it up, right?). so when this air go thru the IC, hopefully it's been cooled a bit but it has to pass thru the heated pipe going to the intake manifold. so wrapping the charge pipe with insulation hoping to prevent the "cooled" air from getting hot again which defeats the purpose of the IC. is this logical or is my imagination running wild?

Old 01-23-2003, 08:38 AM

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (turb)

If this was true, then don't you think it would have been tested by the big boys? Yes the filter sucks in hot air. Yes when it is compressed my the turbo it gets hotter. Then the IC cools it down (depending on how efficient you IC is). I don't think much heat is gained or lost in the charge pipe. I don't know. Give me six beers and I will agree with you even if ya said the sky was green. I say go ahead and try it then report to us all the magificant gains in HP. UGH!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I don't know how much it would help but it should help...have you ever put your hand on your charge piping after driving? HOT. If you could at least keep the piping after the intercooler, I would think there would be some kind of benefit. If not in horsepower gains, maybe it would help prevent detonation.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (Hatchblack)

I wrapped all of my charge pipes. Looks better than chrome too.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: wrapping turbo pipings??? (Hatchblack)

i did put my hand on the charge pipe after a hard drive and it was not that hot compare to not being wrap. there's not much difference actually only slight.

i'm not after hp gains that's why on my first post, i was asking if it will somehow cool the passing air and if there's any disadvantage of wrapping charge pipe. i'm just wondering if wrapping the charge pipe will prevent it from dissipating heat thus making the air actually hotter than without wraps.