Notices

Would this work? Convert int WG to ext...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would this work? Convert int WG to ext...

Excuse the crappy hand made pic...

This would be for a setup that couldn't have the wg on the manifold itself.

The only problem I can see is the turbo would hang slightly lower (but still above the oil pan). Downpipe would have to be modified and the drain line shortened, but that's about it.

One of the advantages (besides the obvious use of an ext wg) would be that I can make a better downpipe - a blockoff dp flange with a nice smooth 2.5" downpipe all the way from the flange to the exhaust.

Any opinions?

- Slater
Old 12-31-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would this work? Convert int WG to ext... (Slater)

As far as welding the internal wastegate port closed, people do it all the time, so that should work without any problems. You could bore out a hole on the manifold and put a flange for the wastegate on to it, which would keep the Turbo in the same positon. You could also weld a pipe on to the Turbine Housing where the internal wastegate used to exit, and route that to the external wastegate. I've seen that done before too, espically on Domestics.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would this work? Convert int WG to ext... (johnisenglish)

If he did it the way he had in the pic he wouldn't have that whole two pulse at one time problem that seems to be very common with log-styles. That's if he had the extension set-up properly and it was long and wide enough.

Gee John never knew you were English. Figures.

My grammar is getting bad. Too many Math courses.

[Modified by tzsir, 5:04 PM 12/31/2002]
Old 12-31-2002, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Would this work? Convert int WG to ext... (tzsir)

Correct - unless the manifold is designed properly (i.e. for an ext wg to begin with), hacking a hole in it to add a WG will cause more probs IMO. The HKS mani is similar to the stock Greddy mani, where 2 of the runners go "over" the others, making it impossible to put the WG where all 4 primaries merge. I would have to settle for 1 or 2, like the Drag, which will cause the type of problems I'm trying to get rid of in the first place. My other problem is the mani is cast iron, which is almost impossible to weld properly.

So the solution I posed in the pic is about the only thing I could think of. It wouldn't be much - just a short length of 2.5" pipe with flanges on either end and a 1.5" or so elbow leading to a Tial wg. No engineering or math involved - the main constraint would be fitment.

Yeah, it's hack engineering but isn't that what junkyard turbos setups are all about? Hell, this setup would be better than most pipe fitting log manifolds or hacked HF manifolds.

Anyways, the other idea posted was a good one - remove the wg swing arm and pad instead of welding it shut, and using that as the route to my ext wg. I know that's how most standard turbines are set up so there's no reason it shouldn't work.

Has anyone actually tried or done either of these ideas? I would be interested in hearing the results before I start hacking up a perfectly good turbo...

TIA,
- Slater