Notices

Would this catch can set up work or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this catch can set up work or no?

Well i've read about 50 threads on catch cans now, and i'm still kinda confused. It looks like there are multiple ways to set them up.

It seems as if you use the two plugs from the back of the block then you get a lot of oil in your can, which is what I don't want.

So I came up with my own way and I was wondering if it would work.

With this way, you leave the stock PCV/black box and just run a tube open into the atmosphere. And then you add the 2 fittings to your valvecover and run those to a catch can with a breather filter on the valvecover as well.

Excuse my spelling mistakes, its been a long day and I'm pretty tired and didnt proof read.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Would this catch can set up work or no? (GetawayInMoscow)

Everything looks fine except you don't want to use a sealed can. Get a catch can with a filter on top.

Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can't see how any excess pressure in the block and head would be pushed out into a sealed catch can.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (87sivtec)

So the same set up with a can that has a filter on top would be ****?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GetawayInMoscow)

what are the benefits of not running the pcv on the back of the block(the 2 ports whatever their known as) to the catch can?
Old 07-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Default Re: (CivicVX94)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what are the benefits of not running the pcv on the back of the block(the 2 ports whatever their known as) to the catch can?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you getting the two mixed up. The stock pvc system utilizes a black box that is connected to the back of the block. Which is connected to the stock pvc valve. If you leave the pvc system hooked up, under boost you will get crank case pressure, not good. Some symptoms of this will be cam seals leaking, valve cover gasket leaking, oil pan gasket leaking or even blowing out, and the ultimate worse case scenario high crank case pressure can lead to cracked ringlands (especially stock ringlands).

The two ports on the back of the block are plugged up from the factory. You can utilize these two ports by hooking them up to a catch can to help relive the pressure. Like this:

I personally think its just easier to just get rid of the whole pvc system including the black box, and plugging up the hole with a block plug like this.

Depending on how much power you plan on making having two vents is usually adequate. Whether it be the two ports on the back of the block or welding two ports to your valve cover, or in high horsepower applications both.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:15 AM

Default Re: (B R Fittings)

if he runs the black box open to atmosphere it will not pressurize the crankcase bro.

the benefit of not using the 2 plugs on the back of the block is the fact that you get alot of oil in your can with those fittings.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

I have a moroso can using the two plugs on the back of the block and they do not start overflowing unless I run more then 18psi which is around 425whp. Any more power then that and it is giving me problems. I'm going to build a t1 sytle box here soon.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if he runs the black box open to atmosphere it will not pressurize the crankcase bro.

the benefit of not using the 2 plugs on the back of the block is the fact that you get alot of oil in your can with those fittings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your just using the two ports on the back of the block and your puking a lot of oil, then your probably don't have enough vents or you need bigger lines.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow...I foresee this being a huge oily mess.

If you are pushing a decent amount of boost and your motor is healthy, you are going to have a decent amount of crank case pressure, and most likely BLOW OIL out of that little tube on the back of the block and get an oily mist/drip from the breather filter on the valve cover. I would highly recommend NOT doing this setup you have drawn.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Re: (RTW DC2R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTW DC2R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow...I foresee this being a huge oily mess.

If you are pushing a decent amount of boost and your motor is healthy, you are going to have a decent amount of crank case pressure, and most likely BLOW OIL out of that little tube on the back of the block and get an oily mist/drip from the breather filter on the valve cover. I would highly recommend NOT doing this setup you have drawn.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i used to run a breather off the black box and a breather off the valve cover and nothing else at 300hp daily for close to 2 years. never a drip. that motor was in phenomenal condition though.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B R Fittings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If your just using the two ports on the back of the block and your puking a lot of oil, then your probably don't have enough vents or you need bigger lines. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or the fact that the 2 ports are oil drainbacks for the head...
Old 07-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well like i said i think its gonna depend on the health and clearances used on the motor and the amount of boost and power being made.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i used to run a breather off the black box and a breather off the valve cover and nothing else at 300hp daily for close to 2 years. never a drip. that motor was in phenomenal condition though.

or the fact that the 2 ports are oil drainbacks for the head...</TD></TR></TABLE>

So someone making 500 whp will get the same result? 4 years ago I made 300+ whp on my stock LS motor using the stock pvc system. That doesn't make it right. If people are worried about puking oil out of the block ports then weld two bungs to the valve cover and be done with it.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: (B R Fittings)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B R Fittings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So someone making 500 whp will get the same result?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said that. Obviously that is not true.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B R Fittings &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If people are worried about puking oil out of the block ports then weld two bungs to the valve cover and be done with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.