Notices

Will this volvo turbo work on my D16?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this volvo turbo work on my D16?

I just purchased a 95 Civic DX coupe with a D16Z6 & manual transmission swap. This is my first Honda. I do have some basic prior turbo experiance with my old 88 Chrysler Conquest TSI but that was a turbo car from the factory with a Super 14G added before I bought it. I am a professional mechanic/shop owner, I have a lot of general automotive experiance and a good amount of general mod/racing experiance but mainly with V8 domestics. I have been searching the boards for a few weeks now and I have some questions maybe you can help me with. The car came with some turbo kit parts. The turbo it came with is a Garrett with a .42/.48 AR. I think this is a T3 style? The car also came with a cast manifold, a set of DSM injectors, a 2G modded DSM BOV, a blank chip set with adapters and the car already has a walbro 255 fuel pump installed and an adjustable FPR. This car will serve as my daily driver/ posible auto-x learning car. My goal is 180-200 wheel HP once the turbo is installed. I know this turbo is on the small side but it came from a Volvo 740 as far as I can tell which has an engine thats bigger then 1.6L. I want a turbo with little to no lag that will get on boost early to provide good power across the rev range for tight auto-x courses. I'm not really worried about huge peak HP, more about a good flat torque curve and even horsepower without a huge hit when the boost comes on. I am also not looking to spend a ton of money on modding this car as I am primarly building my RX7 and Camaro to be my serious road/auto-x car and drag car respectivley. That is why I would like to stick with a used turbo as long as it will meet my goals effectivly. If this turbo is not sufficent what would you recommend I look for? Since this turbo is aready apart I am going to rebuild it (I have someone to rebalance it if necessary and I will probably be using a G-Pop Shop rebuild kit as they seem to be complete and come with good instructions). I have read some about mixing and matching the hot and cold sides from different turbos and I'm not afraid to try something new. I have other cars to drive if this one needs to be worked on. I am guessing that I will need about 7-9psi to meet my HP goals, does this sound correct and will that be within this turbo's efficent range? Here are some pics of the turbo to help ID it.

One other stupid question, does this manifold mount with the turbo up or down? Will I have to dicth my A/C?

Thank you very much for any help that you can provide to this Honda newbie.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Will this volvo turbo work on my D16?

Small turbos are alot of fun. That one will probably be fine for you but you need to measure the wheels so we can give you a better idea of the powerband. The compressor wheel, at least from the pics, looks a little mangled.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you put the hot side inducer up to the turbo manifold and it fits, assuming it's a T3 manifold, it's a T3. Different turbos have different exhaust inducers.

The manifold would be a bottom mount. Some are AC friendly, some may not be. You just gotta look and see.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say do some research and either buy a T4 comressor, back plate and turbine wheel all together now, or possibly look into seeing if a different T3 wheel would benefit you. Since that one is a little mangled, it'd be the perfect excuse now.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys think the wheel is damaged? I thought it looked a little funny but the fins are the same shape all the way around and I dont see any impact marks or anything. Can you show me a picture of what a wheel should look like? Here are some more pictures of it, see if you still think its messed up.

I measured the wheels, the cold side is about 2.5" wide, the exhaust side is 2.25" wide. I can dig out my digital calipers and get an exact measurement if necessary. Thanks for the info so far, I appreciate the help.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I did a little more reading and I see what you need now for measurements. This is what I got on the digital dial calipers. Compressor Exducer size 60.00mm, Inducer size 40.34mm, Turbine Exducer size 48.03mm, Inducer size 58.60mm. With these numbers can you tell me what turbo this is exactly? Is this what they call a T3/T4 style? After looking around Im starting to agree that the compressor wheel looks damaged. The weird thing is that all three sets of fins around the inducer diameter are exactly the same width + or - .02mm. You'd think if something hit it and damaged it that they would be knocked out of range a bit more. There is also no damage on the inside of the compressor housing. Looking around I have found some replacement wheels in the $30-$40 range. Do you think I should just buy a new wheel, rebuild the center section and have it rebalanced or go look for a better condition turbo in the junkyard or on ebay? What turbo should I be looking for to meet my goals for the car, quick spool for 180-200whp on a stock D16Z6 with supporting mods? I dont want to spend a ton of money but I do want it to be reliable, I dont want the turbo coming apart and jacking up my engine. As always thanks for the help and I look forward to your answers.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone got an ID on this little guy? Are there different wheels that will work in that compressor housing or is that one the only style for it. Where is a good place to shop around for parts? Is that a T3 or T4 compressor side? From what I found it looks like all Volvos used TD04 compressor side if thats what the turbo came off of.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

That compressor wheel is very damaged. the metal in both the larger and smaller splitter blades look like its seen some debris. I think using it would be a very bad idea.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im looking for a new wheel, having and ID on this turbo would make it a lot easier
Old 08-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Trial User

That is an ancient T3 45 trim turbo that uses the stage 1 turbine. From my expierence they will yield about 180whp before you start to push the poor things. I would upgrade it to atleast a 50 trim or even a 60 trim.

The 50 trim would be a nice match to the D16 especially for a daily driver.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
That compressor wheel is very damaged. the metal in both the larger and smaller splitter blades look like its seen some debris. I think using it would be a very bad idea.
X2 lol
Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 88blkiroc
Im looking for a new wheel, having and ID on this turbo would make it a lot easier
theres no point in finding a wheel *which you probably wont
considering you can get another one off of ebay dirt cheap