Notices

why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo

Momently, I build up two b16a blocks (sleeves/align honing/girdles/rods/pistons etc.). Now, someone told me, that it would be better to replace the oem oilpump gears by aftermarket oilpumpgear (for example PRODRIVE).

In how far will I benefit, if I take these oilpumpgears?

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (hondaapi)

Basically insurance for any car. I ran a few setups under 300whp with stock oil pump setup and no problems. For my current build I just spent the extra money for a piece of mind and went with the prodrive setup.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (g2turbo)

the extra money is not the problem.
I´d like to know why is it better and in how far do they differ to the oem-oilpumpgears?
Old 12-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you dont need a new oil pump gear. Guys take stock oil pumps up to 5-600whp. After that it might be a good idea to get a new oil pump gear. Dont get pro drive though ....seems like those are the ones always on here for shattering. If your gonna get one get a Toda. But really you dont need one. You could always get an ITR one since they flow more...but for your build i wouldnt go any further then that.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (SpoolnG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpoolnG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont need a new oil pump gear. Guys take stock oil pumps up to 5-600whp. After that it might be a good idea to get a new oil pump gear. Dont get pro drive though ....seems like those are the ones always on here for shattering. If your gonna get one get a Toda. But really you dont need one. You could always get an ITR one since they flow more...but for your build i wouldnt go any further then that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You sure? I thought all VTEC oil pumps were the same part number. . .
A fluidamper would be better insurance than a new oil pump gear, because even aftermarket gears have shattered too.

Why did you get an align hone? Were the clearances on the bearings off?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (m R g S r)

What is a fluidamper? I don´t know that (or at least not that word - I´m from Germany)
That reason why I did align hone was because I got new sleeves and let a 5point main girdle install. Everybody I talked to about main girdles told me to align hone after install and I for myself regard it as important.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaapi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is a fluidamper? I don´t know that (or at least not that word - I´m from Germany)
That reason why I did align hone was because I got new sleeves and let a 5point main girdle install. Everybody I talked to about main girdles told me to align hone after install and I for myself regard it as important.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.fluidampr.com/honda.htm its basically a crank pulley with a gel inside to absorb all the vibrations that cause the gears to break. it is indeed better insurance than a prodrive its $350 USD
Old 12-23-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why did you get an align hone? Were the clearances on the bearings off?</TD></TR></TABLE>

on any motor without a stock girdle, when u crank the main bolts, this may cause a shift in the journals due to the fact that the tops of the mains (and maybe even the girdle) where not machined together.

I would also like to know if it messed with any clearances. My plan was to plastigauge my old bearing and determine if i need any thicker off that.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why/when other oilpump gears? b16a-Turbo (Boosted Chemist)

over 700 hp all season

stock oil pump gear
stock crank pulley

still running strong (knock on wood )

james innes