Notices

Why is there a strong vaccumin my bottom end? When I pulled my dipstick out, it "sucks" in air?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is there a strong vaccumin my bottom end? When I pulled my dipstick out, it "sucks" in air?

I recently heard a noise like a hummm.. for a few seconds and it went away. I went to check the oil just to make sure it wasn't a bad noise and as I pulled the dipstick out, it made a loud sucking noise. So now every time I pull the dipstick out, it is making the same noise. Like I am releasing a vaccum. I checked the pcv valve and it is working. When I pulled the line off of the pcv to the catchcan, there was a slight pulse of air coming out on its own, at idle. So what does all this mean? Am I in some deep ****? I am planning on racing tomarrow in Albany, Ga and I want to make it home. Should I not go? Any advice?
Old 06-28-2003, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Why is there a strong vaccumin my bottom end? When I pulled my dipstick out, it "sucks" in air?

You shouldn't be checking your oil level with your engine running. Your pcv is designed to pull vapor out of the crankcase, where the dipstick goes....sorta like the name *positive crankcase vetilation* system suggests. You're fine.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why is there a strong vaccumin my bottom end? When I pulled my dipstick out, it "sucks" in air?

this is with the motor off! After it shuts off I will pull the dipstick and makes a sucking noise. The noise I heard while the motor was running is still a mystery, but I figure it has to do with the same thing
Old 06-28-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is with the motor off! After it shuts off I will pull the dipstick and makes a sucking noise. The noise I heard while the motor was running is still a mystery, but I figure it has to do with the same thing
Old 06-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure the humming noise wasnt the radiator fan kicking on?
Old 06-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not the radiator fan. It sounds like a rubbing belt but thats not it either. I think that noise is caused by the excesive vaccum in the bottom end. This just started happening a few days ago
Old 06-29-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

excess vaccum is good. Blowby is not. Do a compression test mang...
Old 06-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is my next step, but now I have a more serious problem! I was on my way to the 1/8 mile track in albany, GA and as soon as I got gas in ga. (much cheaper than FL) I was pulling out of the gas station and did a full boost blast up to speed (80ish). Everythings fine, no problems, no overheating, no water loss, and I thought no oil leaks! Well, I look back in my mirror and I cant see a thing! There was more smoke coming out of my exhaust than a freaking coal power plant. I made some phone calls and tried to trouble shoot while on my way to GA. Basically what is happining is during boost everything is fine. AS soon as the motor sets down to a low rpm, idle or cruise, a mass of white smoke pours out of my exhaust. No smoke during normall driving, no smoke when hittin boost but as soon as I let off, hold your breath. Burning synthetic oil is nasty smellin ****. So I come to the conclusion that I have a fried turbo oil seal on the turbine side, turn around and drive home. So, no track times yet
Is it my turbo oil seal?