Notices

why aren't turbos made like this:

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why aren't turbos made like this:

on the exhaust side, have a 2.5 inch gear connected to the exhaust turbine, and on the intake side, have a .5 inch gear connected to the intake turbine. i know this would offset the whole turbo, and it would get rid of lag, although the only downside i could see is that you'd be using or needing a wastegate rather quickly...

any info?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: why aren't turbos made like this: (SkRiBLaH)

I really dont know for sure...but I think exhaust gas would have a hard time spinning that? That's my shot at it.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why aren't turbos made like this: (SkRiBLaH)

Because the turbo NEEDS to spin fast to generate the power it needs for the compressor. The shaft torque is very small, so it needs a high RPM to generate the power.

Plus gears rob power when they transmit torque, especially at high RPM. So you'd have additional losses. Besides - it'd still have the non-linear turbine/compressor response to deal with(which is the big reason why turbos have "lag").

There's a reason the engineers that designed them did it the way they did - it's the best way to do it(with our current technology at least).
Old 03-02-2005, 01:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: why aren't turbos made like this: (Def)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Def &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because the turbo NEEDS to spin fast to generate the power it needs for the compressor. The shaft torque is very small, so it needs a high RPM to generate the power.

Plus gears rob power when they transmit torque, especially at high RPM. So you'd have additional losses. Besides - it'd still have the non-linear turbine/compressor response to deal with(which is the big reason why turbos have "lag").

There's a reason the engineers that designed them did it the way they did - it's the best way to do it(with our current technology at least).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbos were designed a long time ago. I'm sure we have better technology today than they did then considering they were on cars before we even had Autocad.

edit: i'm not saying it would work, i'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to rethink things once in a while.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:41 AM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why aren't turbos made like this: (njn63)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by njn63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbos were designed a long time ago. I'm sure we have better technology today than they did then considering they were on cars before we even had Autocad.

edit: i'm not saying it would work, i'm just saying that it doesn't hurt to rethink things once in a while.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Turbos are constantly being updated and refined. The aerodynamics of the blades are always trying to be improved - hence the new GT series wheels that make more power and have less lag.

Buying a brand new $1,400+ turbo right now gets you the absolute BEST centrifugal turbine/compressor technology available to the consumer market, and software way more complex than AutoCAD was used in their development.