Notices

Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno...

Wondering if people have great results by tuning with an EGT and wideband...or if a dyno is really needed to dial in your ignition timing. I know that a dyno is easier, but I'm not made of money and I'd like to tune my timing with out being on the dyno. if you're going to say reading plugs...I think that takes some experience...which i havent fully developed yet.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:19 PM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (RTErnie)

want to know too...
Old 11-27-2005, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (mrx)

I do the same, street tune and thats it. Wonder if its really necessary.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (RTErnie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RTErnie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wondering if people have great results by tuning with an EGT and wideband...or if a dyno is really needed to dial in your ignition timing. I know that a dyno is easier, but I'm not made of money and I'd like to tune my timing with out being on the dyno. if you're going to say reading plugs...I think that takes some experience...which i havent fully developed yet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you could easily, just start conservative. dont add too much timing.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (Dturbocivic)

the car will run fine with just street tuning....however if you want the most power you can get and are going to play with cam gears the dyno will help alot.

you need to know at what ignition timing the car will make the most power. this will also be right around the safe limit of ignition advance..... so you can advance the timing on the dyno till it stops making power and then back it off till it starts to loose power
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (D@nnY)

I have heard two schools of thought.

One says that street tuning is good, but to be safe you really need to tune on a dyno under controlled conditions.

The second school says dyno tuning is great to get numbers, but you don't drive the car on a dyno, you drive it on the street, so street tuning is better.

I think they both have their place, but I agree with the second school. If you have sufficient ability to measure what is happening in the engine, tuning it during actual operation has got to be the best way. Of course, you have no way of seeing what your torque curve looks like when tuning on the street.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Of course, you have no way of seeing what your torque curve looks like when tuning on the street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with that said, you can fine tune your powerband by rolling on the dyno.. street tuning can be very efficient, however.. if you want every bit of power, its best to spend some runs on the dyno..
Old 11-28-2005, 08:12 AM

Reading plugs is not hard its just very outdated. Ex. The plugs may read rich but can you tell me when it was rich.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sanitary6Gen)

Unless you are tuning timing for individual cylinders then dont worry about it. Just leave it on the safe side at peak VE. You need to tune the afs as flat as possible then you should be able to determine where peak VE is by looking at the 2d or 3d fuel maps, Peak VE is where you are using the most fuel and peak VE is where you should have the least amount of timing, then when VE drops you can advance timing with RPM in a linear curve.

Yes, read plugs.

Modified by uglyasscivic at 3:25 PM 11/28/2005
Old 11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uglyasscivic)

the purpose of 3d maps has finally become relavent!
Old 11-28-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like reading plugs. I even read the plugs on the dyno. I think people over look this sometimes.

I think it is best to tune the cars on the dyno for power, then tune driveability on the street. That is I guess how I look at it.

I like the 2-D maps
Old 11-28-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have heard two schools of thought.

One says that street tuning is good, but to be safe you really need to tune on a dyno under controlled conditions.

The second school says dyno tuning is great to get numbers, but you don't drive the car on a dyno, you drive it on the street, so street tuning is better.

I think they both have their place, but I agree with the second school. If you have sufficient ability to measure what is happening in the engine, tuning it during actual operation has got to be the best way. Of course, you have no way of seeing what your torque curve looks like when tuning on the street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are very good thoughts in here and I agree the most with this one in my humble opinion. Dyno tuning for higher HP or pushing stock internals otherwise street tuning with a wideband, 2 or 3-d maps, and plug checking will do just fine.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uglyasscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you are tuning timing for individual cylinders then dont worry about it. Just leave it on the safe side at peak VE. You need to tune the afs as flat as possible then you should be able to determine where peak VE is by looking at the 2d or 3d fuel maps, it where you are using the most fuel. AT peak VE is where you should have the least amont of timing, then when VE drops you can advance timing with RPM in a linear curve.

Yes, read plugs. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what they are for .

BTW EGT is not really a tuning tool unless it's on every cyclider. I use it more as a safety tool. If something suddenly goes cold or hot then possible detonation or ignition problems otherwise not good to specifically "tune" with.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (adseguy)

i tune my af on the street then hit the dyno to see where my max brake torque is at and go from there to adjust timing. Another reason i like to play with af on the street besides saving $ is that on a dynojet my af reads a bit leaner compared street readings because it cant duplicate real life loads.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who tunes solely off of EGT and A/F ? like no dyno... (amit)

i believe a good tune is a combination of dyno and street..
Old 11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uglyasscivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uglyasscivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless you are tuning timing for individual cylinders then dont worry about it. Just leave it on the safe side at peak VE. You need to tune the afs as flat as possible then you should be able to determine where peak VE is by looking at the 2d or 3d fuel maps, Peak VE is where you are using the most fuel and peak VE is where you should have the least amount of timing, then when VE drops you can advance timing with RPM in a linear curve.

Yes, read plugs.

Modified by uglyasscivic at 3:25 PM 11/28/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for answering my question before i asked it.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've tuned 95% street only. only been to the dyno once, and it was quite nice.

dyno tuning is nice though because you can rip through a gear and not have to worry about traffic or getting a ticket. no worry about wrecking or having somone pull out in front of you, plus dyno is always smooth...a lot of roads arent
Old 11-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ryan89crx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ryan89crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've tuned 95% street only. only been to the dyno once, and it was quite nice.

dyno tuning is nice though because you can rip through a gear and not have to worry about traffic or getting a ticket. no worry about wrecking or having somone pull out in front of you, plus dyno is always smooth...a lot of roads arent</TD></TR></TABLE>

Find an empty road to do it, dont do it around traffic. Bad you. !
Old 11-29-2005, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (synik)

when you get around 350+whp its REALLY hard to tune on the street and keep it somewhat safe.

&lt;-- no datalogging capabilites yet I did buy the LM-1 auxillary 5 rpm adapter :-D so I should have boost, rpm, af/r, and knock(doesn't happen but oh well)