Notices

Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use?

After enjoying Uberdata, signing up on PGMFI.org, switching to Crome, bothering to send 150 dollars to some guy to datalog with Crome, and now being told that Crome is outdated and yadda yadda....

I just want a free EMS, that is open source, that is always being improved by a large community. I found one and it's megasquirt.

Some of you smart guys have made a few allusions to friends' cars that ran on MS. What trigger wheel did they use? For whatever reason I have been unable to search out T1's trigger wheel specs, is that a VR setup?

Has anyone done anything other than VR? Opti-disc seems easy and cheap enough, it's readily recommended on the ms forums.

I'm not ready to blaze paths, but if I do this I will be sure to document it. From what I've gathered on the MS forums the biggest problem for your average DIY user is going to be ignition triggering.

Where are the tips, tricks, experience.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (Si Shane)

My trigger uses a hall sensor, it's not a VR sensor. Most every management system has a much easier time with a hall sensor over a VR sensor. For my trigger it needs to be configurable to see 6 crank pulses per engine revolution (12 per cycle) and 1 cam pulse per engine cycle.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (tony1)

60-2 with a mag sensor? as good as it sounds in theory it sure gave me hell at high horsepower. switched to tony's trigger set up with a new EMS and all the problems went away.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">60-2 with a mag sensor? as good as it sounds in theory it sure gave me hell at high horsepower. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Forgive my ignorance, but what is 60-2?
I take it mag is a type of hall effect sensor?

What is different about your first wheel to tony's wheel?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (Si Shane)

Do some research on VR/Mag sensors and hall sensors. They put out totally different waveforms. The VR/Mag sensors put out a sine wave of varying amplitude (with rpm) and frequency. A hall sensor puts out a square wave signal on constant amplitude.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Megasquirt is a very solid system. When I got into working with a group of Ford Probe guys who had modded KLZE motors years ago, I started building megasquirt systems, as Probe guys have no real affordable tuning system options. I currently am building a megasquirt for a 95 S10 SS that I am fabricating a custom turbo setup for using a 60trim Garrett.

If you have the ability to do electronics fabrication, and your good with wiring and electronics, megasquirt is worth the money. There are places selling prebuilt kits now though....
Old 07-19-2007, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (RC000E)

Can anyone direct me towards information regarding the stock Honda distributors. Specifically whichever style came on a 1999 B16. I was under the impression the Honda dist used a Hall type sensor, but have been informed it uses a 4 tooth wheel and a VR setup.

The helms has very limited info on the dist.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are 3 VR sensors and triggers in that distributor. 1 has 24 teeth, 1 has 4 teeth, and 1 has 1 tooth.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have my turbo 1985 MR2 running megasquirt 1 version 3.0 using the ford edis wasted spark ignition system. I tried to actually run the megasquirt off of the stock 4AGE distributor but was receiving very bad tach signals and having bad misfiring problems. The ford edis system was almost a straight plug and play solution. After soldering everything together the car started right up. The only hassle is you'll have to weld the trigger wheel onto your crank pully. The car ran great until the blown headgasket from the head lifting under boost.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here ya go bro I did a MS install over a year and a half ago this is a write up on a 240sx with a CA18DET.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/164446
Old 08-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Megasquirt is a very solid system. When I got into working with a group of Ford Probe guys who had modded KLZE motors years ago, I started building megasquirt systems, as Probe guys have no real affordable tuning system options. I currently am building a megasquirt for a 95 S10 SS that I am fabricating a custom turbo setup for using a 60trim Garrett.

If you have the ability to do electronics fabrication, and your good with wiring and electronics, megasquirt is worth the money. There are places selling prebuilt kits now though....</TD></TR></TABLE>

i remember my S10 i miss it alot
Old 08-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (tony413)

I don't know man.....this truck is a f*ckin nightmare. Pure dipshits designed that fuel system. Half the **** isn't even available anymore besides through the dealership. That "spider" **** that supplies the injectors is absolutely rediculous, then comes the oil lines that deteriorate every two years. Too TOO much dumb *** american engineering at work there.

Truck is alright, but what a damn clusterf*ck of stupidity on those things.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i know what you mean but the final product is nice i was running a patriot performance head if you look around an do somes mods alot of the cavi parts fit the 2.2L SOHC
Old 08-02-2007, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (tony413)

it sounds like he is talking about a v6 model with tpi.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:22 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It was my understanding that the stock Honda dizy will work with MS...
Old 08-02-2007, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (dturbocivic)

Yep....4.3 vortec.....it's an SS S10
Old 08-03-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who has used Megasquirt? What Ignition trigger did you use? (White Smoke)

MS can work with about 95% of factory ignition systems, its just MS isnt as user friendly as some standalones. MS is popular because of the fact its DIY, always improvements, and the fact that its vast and pretty much can do what you want it to do.

So it'll work with Honda dizzy you just need to know which signal to use and settings in the software.

Once the router board is out its suppose to make things easier and will allow sequential ignition and injection.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:08 PM
i HAS questions ?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Shane &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just want a free EMS, that is open source, that is always being improved by a large community. I found one and it's megasquirt.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why does it have to be free/open source?

I never really understood why Honda people would even consider running Megasquirt. It just doesn't seem worth the hassle at all to me when there are so many solid solutions based off the OEM ECU.

If you don't think the OEM ECU based stuff is adequate right now, why don't you work on improving it? Or were you just looking to get "hooked up" while other people did all the development work?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as triggering goes, put an oscilloscope on the stock distributor output and it looks like crap, frequency and amplitude jump around quite a bit. My Tony1 setup produces a perfect square wave, it's ******* beautiful and the car idles perfectly at 600 RPM now, as well as clearing up any other ignition-related issues. For the $ I really like the Hall-Effect in the cam gear setup that I got from Tony.