Notices

where do all the vacum lines go?

Old 02-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do all the vacum lines go?

i want to turbo my b18b integra dc4 but i dont understand where the bov vacum line goes or where the waste gate vacum line goes. Or how they all work? if someone could do a write up on these that would be awsome
Old 02-16-2008, 02:27 PM

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (crv-techu)

The Forced Induction FAQ sticky on top of this post should help you. Click the first link I thnk it's Garett 101
Old 02-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

They go to a vacuum source. You can simplify it and get a vacuum log and use it to feed everything.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (adseguy)

That garrett site is helpful but still no vacum line routing need more info. someone help, this is the only thing that is stopping me from buying parts for boost. I want to know inside and out how to hook up my set up before i take the plung
Old 02-16-2008, 02:34 PM

so as long as the bov and wastgate have engine vacum it dosent matter?
Old 02-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There's a number of threads on this topic. Do a search on "wastegate", "wastegate routing" or 'vacuum routing".

Use a boost source for your wastegate (ex: tap your turbo compressor housing, or your intercooler charge piping, pre-intercooler or pre-throttle body, with a fitting and run the line to your wastegate actuator fitting). If you're using a TiAL WG, it will be the side port fitting.

Run your blow-off valve to a vacuum source off your intake manifold (ex: tee fitting). You will want your vacuum lines to have a 1/4" minimum I.D. Do you plan on running a boost controller?
Old 02-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (TDogg Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TDogg Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Use a boost source for your wastegate (ex: tap your turbo compressor housing, or your intercooler charge piping, pre-intercooler or pre-throttle body, with a fitting and run the line to your wastegate actuator fitting). If you're using a TiAL WG, it will be the side port fitting.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

?? WHY ??

Just T off of the brake booster vacuum line from the intake manifold for everything... Like others have said, using a cheep vacuum manifold helps keep things clean.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (631 Teggy)

my wastegate has a boost in, NOT vaccum, bov gets it from the intake manifold.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (blinx9900)

the wastegate can go to the intake(under vacuum it doesnt do anything anyway) i prefer to tap the turbo housing for the boost reference though.

either the vacuum manifold or i tee the bov off of the PCV valve.

wehres davef at tonight i know he is hanging out we need a paint diagram.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 631 Teggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

?? WHY ??

Just T off of the brake booster vacuum line from the intake manifold for everything... Like others have said, using a cheep vacuum manifold helps keep things clean.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I know. But I suggested a boost source for the WG, because of the never-ending "You dont want your WG to see vacuum" debate, which there's a ton of threads on that, too.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:35 AM

Victor X intake manifold or tap the stock IM..........Problem solved
Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (TDogg Teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TDogg Teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, I know. But I suggested a boost source for the WG, because of the never-ending "You dont want your WG to see vacuum" debate, which there's a ton of threads on that, too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have never heard of vacuum being a problem for the wastegate. Do you know the logic behind the argument? I'm interested.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No I dont. Read this, maybe you can shed some light.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2150985
Old 02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 631 Teggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have never heard of vacuum being a problem for the wastegate. Do you know the logic behind the argument? I'm interested.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you talk to Tial they will tell you it is bad for the wastegate to see vacuum. If u read the install instructions they say the same thing. I'm not sure of the logic but ill trust the tial engineers
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (dpetro1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpetro1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you talk to Tial they will tell you it is bad for the wastegate to see vacuum. If u read the install instructions they say the same thing. I'm not sure of the logic but ill trust the tial engineers</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the install instructions that came in the box in front of me. They say no such thing. If they had, I would have done more research. I know of atleast 5 cars locally who source their wastegate vacuum to the intake manifold with no problems to speak of. But I'm not saying I am right... I'll definitely look into it.

Edit: Also after reading the other thread. I see that this is the argument:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Riake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Theoretically if you get a 'huge' boost leak (charge pipe blow out and you continue to run hard) and you have your wastegate tapped at the intake manifold then the wastegate will never open and your turbo is going to over spin which would damage it. However, if you are tapped at the compressor the wastegate will open because it will see the true value the turbo is making, unless the line gets damaged.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the install instructions that came in the box in front of me. They say no such thing. If they had, I would have done more research. I know of atleast 5 cars locally who source their wastegate vacuum to the intake manifold with no problems to speak of. But I'm not saying I am right... I'll definitely look into it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i rum my tial from the IM too but read this closey http://www.tialmedia.com/docum...l.pdf

you can see the line from the side port and it says "connect to air intake manifold, before throttle plate meaning boost source. this was news too me as well and ive never had any problems having it hooked to the IM. i guess all cars dont have a throttle plate before the IM like hondas. also i think tial likes to argue that vacuum is bad for the diaphragm.

we ave definitely gotten off topics from the OP so ill leave it at that.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Re: where do all the vacum lines go? (dpetro1)

you guys are awsome thanx for the info is there anything else i should know before i install?