Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you just vent to atmosphere you will spew oil ALL OVER your engine bay!!!

Here is a good pic on how to do this correctly. Note, I said correctly, there are other ways to do it but this will work the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is correct, but not if you use the stock black box. The whole box would have to fill with oil, and then have enough pressure to blow it out of the hoses. Since the box sits completely verticle, with the hole on the bottom, it will just sit in the can, and then drain back into the crankcase.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (AaronJ)

maybe on low HP setups.......but on High HP, that black box will fill up asap!!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe on low HP setups.......but on High HP, that black box will fill up asap!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

how high are you talking here?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe on low HP setups.......but on High HP, that black box will fill up asap!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

No way. Go ask anyone making 500-600whp+ how much oil they get in their catch cans. You're not going to fill that black box up. Especially considering it drains back into the block from that box everytime you shut the engine off.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (RyanEJ8)

After all these catch can threads and such, we're now going to go back to the black box?

I think I'll keep my valvecover vents thanks....

The velocity of air traveling out of our motors is what picks up the oil, using the black box, with the small opening it has at the top, will create a tremendous amout of air velocity right there and spew oil all over the place.

This is why people who only use the endyn setup wonder why theirs fills with oil so fast. the velocity of the air, put several more vents to the motor, and then the catch can doesn't fill up.

WTF?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The velocity of air traveling out of our motors is what picks up the oil, using the black box, with the small opening it has at the top, will create a tremendous amout of air velocity right there and spew oil all over the place.</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;---- First hand experience....no it doesn't. I've never had oil come out of mine at all. Just a vapor looking mist. Been running it this way for a couple years now.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (RyanEJ8)

Im with Ryan. I have nothing on my stock crankcase breather can, its just open and I dont have oil spewing out. I also have a breather filter on my valve cover and thats clean too. I dont know why everyone makes such a big deal about catch cans. 15psi, built 2.0L GSR
Old 08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im with Ryan. I have nothing on my stock crankcase breather can, its just open and I dont have oil spewing out. I also have a breather filter on my valve cover and thats clean too. I dont know why everyone makes such a big deal about catch cans. 15psi, built 2.0L GSR</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you run one of the hoses to the PCV and intake manifold (Can I do this with a VictorX manifold???), and the other hose is routed to the ground? How often do you check your oil?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So you run one of the hoses to the PCV and intake manifold (Can I do this with a VictorX manifold???), and the other hose is routed to the ground? How often do you check your oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think the right setup is keeping the hose from the block to the black box attached and use the hose where the PCV was attached as a vent. then you either block the port on the intake manifold, or you can use it for something else.

i am going to try this out this weekend, but i will probably put a filter or something on the old PCV/vent hose, and of course one on my valve cover. do you guys know where to buy those little caps so i can cover up that hole on the intake manifold? thanks
Old 08-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where's that (the dist. box)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh missed this.

The vacuum distribution box for all my turbo accessories. You can kind of see it in this picture down by where my charge pipe goes into the bumper.

Old 08-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (Muckman)

Let me make sure I have this right. I have a 96 GSR motor in my civic. The black box is intact, and there are (apparently) two hoses coming off of it. One to the block, and one to the PCV valve, then to the IM.

As I have it right now, there is no PCV valve - the 2nd hose goes from the black box to the IM straight I believe (don't remember).

Can I just run the 1st hose from the black box to the block (OEM), run the 2nd hose to the ground, and run a breather on my valve cover?
Old 08-01-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Let me make sure I have this right. I have a 96 GSR motor in my civic. The black box is intact, and there are (apparently) two hoses coming off of it. One to the block, and one to the PCV valve, then to the IM.

As I have it right now, there is no PCV valve - the 2nd hose goes from the black box to the IM straight I believe (don't remember).

Can I just run the 1st hose from the black box to the block (OEM), run the 2nd hose to the ground, and run a breather on my valve cover?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can, but i am actually going to run both hoses from the black box to the ground, and just plug that fitting on the block. The way the black box with have twice the ventilation
Old 08-02-2006, 12:05 AM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (AaronJ)

wow, after reading all of those threads about how ppl spent about 160 bucks on the endyn cans, all they really had to do was just disconnect the pcv valve. i'm glad i didn't buy my catch-can set up yet, this is gonna save me a lotta $$$. Ryan and Muckman, you guys said you've been running it for awhile now, and haven't had any problems with it at all? great info too thx.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (jdm'dc2sc61)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm’dc2sc61 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow, after reading all of those threads about how ppl spent about 160 bucks on the endyn cans, all they really had to do was just disconnect the pcv valve. i'm glad i didn't buy my catch-can set up yet, this is gonna save me a lotta $$$. Ryan and Muckman, you guys said you've been running it for awhile now, and haven't had any problems with it at all? great info too thx. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Our setup is not the best setup, but it works. It is definately better to have an aftermarket catch can and additional ports on the block or valve cover to vent crankcase pressure, but not necessary. Mine has been running with no problems this way for about 2 years.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (RyanEJ8)

I have mine setup exactly the same way with no problems..
Old 08-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (PeakBOOST)

I have the endyn catchcan setup on my car and my valve cover tapped with 2 -12an lines that run into another catchcan.

with my new engine, on the dyno my endyn didn't have any problems, at the track when i had boost above 20psi, it would spit oil everywhere. I added the two ports off the front of the valvecover and now oil levels are rock solid with no crankcase issues.

Then again, alot of cars I tune have the PVC disconnected and that's it, but sometimes when they try big boost, they have thier dipstick try to blow out as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the endyn catchcan setup on my car and my valve cover tapped with 2 -12an lines that run into another catchcan.

with my new engine, on the dyno my endyn didn't have any problems, at the track when i had boost above 20psi, it would spit oil everywhere. I added the two ports off the front of the valvecover and now oil levels are rock solid with no crankcase issues.

Then again, alot of cars I tune have the PVC disconnected and that's it, but sometimes when they try big boost, they have thier dipstick try to blow out as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See, I'm going for 10-12 psi max on a stock GSR motor with a Precision SC50. I'm going to try this out.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Moderator in Chief

So you run one of the hoses to the PCV and intake manifold (Can I do this with a VictorX manifold???), and the other hose is routed to the ground? How often do you check your oil?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Once a week.

No, why would you want to pressurize your engine? Picture a catch can. Now picture the lines that run from the engine/head to the catch can. Now delete the catch can. Run those lines to the bottom of the engine bay.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
* B A N N E D *

what about adding in the 2 extra prellude oil adapters to the back of the block...running those to a vented catch can, and then KEEPING the stock black box with a breather filter inplace of the pcv valve and a breather filter on the valve cover?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Moderator in Chief

Default Re: (boosted94cx)

Yeah that'll work. Guys theres about 50 ways to skin this cat. Its not complicated. Be creative.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Once a week.

No, why would you want to pressurize your engine? Picture a catch can. Now picture the lines that run from the engine/head to the catch can. Now delete the catch can. Run those lines to the bottom of the engine bay. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How did you set it up with your VictorX manifold, if you're running one?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Moderator in Chief

What does this have to do with the intake manifold? You dont hook the PCV system to the intake manifold on a boosted car because it will pressurize the crankcase in boost.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread gave me a headache. I'll post something anyway.....

Stock valve cover breather going to catch can, two prelude oil cooler fittings on the back of the block going to catch can, valve on bottom of catchcan to drain oil out of (will not put this stuff back in the engine) another port on the catchcan going to the exhaust. I shouldn't have to mention what this is for but I will just say when done right you have vacume in the catchcan which yes...means it will help pull air out of the engine.

Read this and you will have your questions answered https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1199935
Old 08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does this have to do with the intake manifold? You dont hook the PCV system to the intake manifold on a boosted car because it will pressurize the crankcase in boost. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know much about B-series **** yet. I just swapped in a GSR motor, and I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of it before I boost it. I want to do things right.

Could you PM me some tips on installation of the Edelbrock manifold, or is it THAT easy?
Old 08-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (PeakBOOST)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PeakBOOST &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have mine setup exactly the same way with no problems.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, this is great news especially for those on a budget.

Quick Reply: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure?