Notices

What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application

Wondeirng What Tranny To Use on a turbo d16y8 use the ex tranny or a dx tranny. Aiming for 300 whp need to know what gears are better, the shorter ex ones, or the longer dx ones?
thanx
Old 12-24-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (Sinister_Civic)

shorter is ALWAYS better for acceleration!
Old 12-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shorter is ALWAYS better for acceleration!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Numerically Higher.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:35 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (Vtaaak y0)

I like my longer geared LS tranny just b/c I dont drag race everywhere. Its a daily driver, not a ******* race car. And at 350 whp it shouldnt really ******* matter whether its an LS or type r tranny.

Go with which ever one you feel would benefit you. If you plan on street racing light to light go with the shorter one. If its gonna be a daily driver and raced 2 months out of hte year, get the longer one.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (95GSRTT)

True for a daily driver id either go LS or GSR.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (Vtaaak y0)

we are talking about gay ninja trannies j/k
Old 12-24-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we are talking about gay ninja trannies j/k</TD></TR></TABLE>

Haha, whoops.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like my longer geared LS tranny just b/c I dont drag race everywhere. Its a daily driver, not a ******* race car. And at 350 whp it shouldnt really ******* matter whether its an LS or type r tranny.

Go with which ever one you feel would benefit you. If you plan on street racing light to light go with the shorter one. If its gonna be a daily driver and raced 2 months out of hte year, get the longer one. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't think it matters? Go watch that video that was posted here a little while ago, it was a DA vs. a hatch. Hatch had a built LS/VTEC with a DRAG turbo kit making about 330 WHP. DA had a built LS/VTEC with a full race turbo kit making just under 300 WHP. Hatch was lighter. Hatch had an LS tranny. DA had a B16 tranny. So the teg was heavier and had less power, but still pulled on the hatch quite hard because it had the B16 trans. I helped a friend with his LS/VTEC integra swap from an LS trans to a B16 trans with a LS 5th gear, and on slicks he picked up 4 tenths and a couple MPH. Believe me, gearing does make a large difference, even on the street.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:09 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: What Tranny To Use On Turbo Application (@lbert)

Im saying it doesnt matter if its a daily driver. IF its a daily driver you arent drag racing it on the street all the time. THAT is why it doesnt matter. Sorry if i dont race every car with neon lights and altezzas.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:12 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im saying it doesnt matter if its a daily driver. IF its a daily driver you arent drag racing it on the street all the time. THAT is why it doesnt matter. Sorry if i dont race every car with neon lights and altezzas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just because you don't race it everywhere, why should that mean it doesn't matter? It's still more fun when you DO want to get on it on the street with the tighter geared transmission, and mileage doesn't even suffer. If you didn't turbocharge your car to open it up on the street once in a while, why build it in the first place? Go sell it for an echo or something that gets 45 MPG.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by @lbert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just because you don't race it everywhere, why should that mean it doesn't matter? It's still more fun when you DO want to get on it on the street with the tighter geared transmission, and mileage doesn't even suffer. If you didn't turbocharge your car to open it up on the street once in a while, why build it in the first place? Go sell it for an echo or something that gets 45 MPG.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Calm down buddy. He is just saying longer gears are more fo a luxury (high way milage). Hes suggesting that if the guy isnt going all out, take it into consideration.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:24 PM
95GSRTT

Ya you're totally right, I had no clue what I think would be good as a daily driver. Thank you sooo much for enlightening me. Stupid LS tranny makes me too damn slow *hate*!!!