Notices

what tool do you use......

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:09 AM
TnC
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Sin City to CA, to TX, NC to FL, then back to NC...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tool do you use......

...to replace a diaphragm in a wastegate? I've tried the "two person" technique where one holds the enclosure down forcing the spring in and tightening every bolt in 10 seconds . That didn't work for me since the WG doesn't want to hold boost still. So please give me some input, thanks!
Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what tool do you use...... (TnC)

Are you trying to put the two halves together again with the spring in it?

If you're having trouble, you can use a vice, get the bolts to thread a tiny bit and then use a flathead screw driver and make sure to push the diaphram into the case carefully. Then tighten it up.

What boost are you trying to hold? Are you 100% sure it's the wastegate? have you tried running with no spring in the wastegate to see if you are still overboosting?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:06 AM
TnC
Honda-Tech Member

my vice grip doesn't expand that wide lol. i need something similiar to that but larger, i've heard of using table vice grips. the ones you use to hold wood while the glue sets. my diaphragm is ripped for sure. i've opened it and actually saw it. i have an extra diaphragm, but i'm just paranoid of it not seating fully in the wastegate while i tighten it. it's going to be my third replacement, i just want to have fun!
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TnC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TnC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my vice grip doesn't expand that wide lol. i need something similiar to that but larger, i've heard of using table vice grips. the ones you use to hold wood while the glue sets. my diaphragm is ripped for sure. i've opened it and actually saw it. i have an extra diaphragm, but i'm just paranoid of it not seating fully in the wastegate while i tighten it. it's going to be my third replacement, i just want to have fun!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I definitely mean table vice.

It will seat correctly, like I said, get the screws to thread a little bit and then use a screwdriver to make sure the diaphram isn't getting pinched in the halves where it's not supposed to be.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:32 AM
TnC
Honda-Tech Member

perfect, i'm going to do that today. thanks!