Notices

What pistons to use in my LS/Vtec Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pistons to use in my LS/Vtec Turbo?

Ok, I was having some problems with the car overheating and such and the car finally bent some valves on the intake side on my type r head. So my question is what kind of pistons can I run in my LS/Vtec turbo set up? I just bought some Eagle Rods and am wanting to buy a set of forged pistons now. Can I just run a set of turbo pistons for a Gsr or b16? Or do I need to buy a set for a type r or what? Another question is are there any brands out there people do not recommend? My HP goal is to have 450-500whp, but am running stock sleeves until next year, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What pistons to use in my LS/Vtec Turbo?

i dont see where you can go wrong with any of the bigger named pistons.

i have used srp, je, and cp. in that order. cp's in my current setup.

no issues with all.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok awesome, thank you boostedcivicsir. Now i just gotta figure out if I can use b16 or Gsr pistons or if I have to buy some specifically for an LS/Vtec or what.. I seen on my stock LS pistons, the eyebrow part on the piston the valves were hitting above the eyebrow so I know for a fact I can't use LS pistons, really need to find this out.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a turboed lsvtec with a gsr heard on a stock ls block. i am still getting away with using plus(89) gas without detonating.

idk what kind of problems your having with ls pistons?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mine wasn't detonating, the Type R valves open wider than Gsr and b16 valves, so when Vtec was engaging it was causing my Valves to hit the pistons, when I took the head off the valves had been hitting above where the eyebrows are on the stock LS pistons. So therefore I have to get new pistons to fit the valves.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW YOU WOULD THINK THE EXAUST SIDE VALVES WOULD GO FIRST,I ALWAYS SET VALVE LASH TO 009 ON EXAUST SIDE WITH BOOSTED APPLICATIONS I FIGURE THEY WILL HAVE JUST ALITTLE MORE TIME TO COOL.I HAVE USED JE,CP,AND NOW IM RUNNING WISECO WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Last edited by TEAM ASSASSIN SI; 04-03-2010 at 10:23 AM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old 04-03-2010, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have heard a lot of good things about Wiseco's, but someone was telling me that Arias are the best? Is that true? I just wish I would've known before I put it together lol.. I have a buddy who lives about an hr from me, he had a type r head on his also and it dropped a valve because of the same thing, he found out what happened with my car and called me up and told me our situations were kind of the same, only his was a built bottom end with forged LS pistons in his LS/Vtec he had... So I am going to end up getting mine back together soon and hoping for some good driving out of it. I have these eagle rods and going to get a set of pistons for them now and hoping to be able to make it to Import Alliance Summer Meet.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the pics of my Pistons, luckily the valve only got the headgasket on the number 1 cylinder.
Attached Images    

Last edited by iamthefollower; 04-03-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow man thats interesting im running je pistons
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i found out the reliefs on the intake side are smaller on stock LS pistons but are bigger on aftermarket pistons, it sucked to find this out the hard way, but I learned and am now getting my head fixed. .
Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by iamthefollower
ok awesome, thank you boostedcivicsir. Now i just gotta figure out if I can use b16 or Gsr pistons or if I have to buy some specifically for an LS/Vtec or what.. I seen on my stock LS pistons, the eyebrow part on the piston the valves were hitting above the eyebrow so I know for a fact I can't use LS pistons, really need to find this out.
when it comes to choosing the right piston, it really depends upon the compression ratio that you're trying to reach. In your particular case, if you're going to use a forged piston to work with your forged rods, go with the compression size in which you going to hone, or crosshatch the engine you can do 81.5 mm, in the stock sleeves and be good to go. The only time that you have to worry about from which block the piston came from, is when you're trying to create the correct compression ratio. All of the major brands have Pistons that have different compression ratios based upon the engine block and head setup that you decide to use. so reallyb16 or B18 piston specifics don't matter
Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
when it comes to choosing the right piston, it really depends upon the compression ratio that you're trying to reach. In your particular case, if you're going to use a forged piston to work with your forged rods, go with the compression size in which you going to hone, or crosshatch the engine you can do 81.5 mm, in the stock sleeves and be good to go. The only time that you have to worry about from which block the piston came from, is when you're trying to create the correct compression ratio. All of the major brands have Pistons that have different compression ratios based upon the engine block and head setup that you decide to use. so reallyb16 or B18 piston specifics don't matter
Yeah, I had found this out, I was just worried about if I bought forged pistons for an LS that the valve reliefs would be too small for me, but I have found out that they are actually bigger than the stock size and such.