Notices

What oil to use after first startup??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What oil to use after first startup??

i did my first startup on my built h22 with strait 30 non detergent oil. now im going to take it to the dyno and i need to know what oil i should run. i used to run 5w-30 mobile one fully synthetic. someone mentioned that i shouldnt do synthetic right away so what natural oil should i be going with? i heard royal purple affects the turbo in a way? other recomended valvoline?

thanks for the advice
Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What oil to use after first startup?? (powerdbygarrett)

With every motor i have built/broken in i always use some cheap autozone ****. Honestly i dont plan on running the oil for more than 50 miles initially so why waste money on good oil if its only going to be drained shortly after first start up.

This is what i did for my last motor.
New oil, start up, let heat cycle go through 2-3 times.
Change oil, go straight to dyno and get tuned. Change oil once car is tuned
Drive on this oil for about 2-300 miles then go to synthetic of your choice
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 PM

i bought some cheap castrol gtx for the dyno. that should be good right
Old 10-29-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: (powerdbygarrett)

i recently did a motor build on mines.. put sum cheap autozone oil.. started it up and let it run for about 20 minutes.. drained it out and put sum castrol gtx oil.. towed it to dyno and tuned it.. drove home -120miles... drove for next couple of days maybe putting 2-3 hundred more miles.. and filled it back up wit mobile1 full synthetic. i asked around and looked at so many threads b4 i did mines to make sure it was done right way. alwayz got the same reply. tuner and machine shop gave me the same advice as well.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would wait at least a couple thousand before using synthetic because your rings are actually still seating up to a couple thousand miles or more. yea they initaiily seat as soon as you start it up for the first time but over time they will keep seating that much better and if youre using synthetic its not going to work so well.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mike93eh2)

I was always under the impression that rings are seated 90% within the first 100 miles. I have heard people claim that motors feel stronger a couple 100 miles after tune and such once the rings are completly seated but honestly i think thats a little bit in thier head. You talk to some old school guys and they will tell you that rings are seated 100% within the first 50 miles.

If people will put thier car on the dyno an hour after the first start up there is some proof there that the rings are pretty good
Old 10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was always under the impression that rings are seated 90% within the first 100 miles. I have heard people claim that motors feel stronger a couple 100 miles after tune and such once the rings are completly seated but honestly i think thats a little bit in thier head. You talk to some old school guys and they will tell you that rings are seated 100% within the first 50 miles.

If people will put thier car on the dyno an hour after the first start up there is some proof there that the rings are pretty good </TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty good but not completly and synthetic will aid against it..

it could be less.. who knows. its not something we will ever know for sure.

and my engine had maybe a whole 5 minutes worth of running before it got on the dyno and made back to back 8500 pulls..
Old 10-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If people will put thier car on the dyno an hour after the first start up there is some proof there that the rings are pretty good </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats how we do them. The car runs for about 30-40 minutes and is then put on the dyno where it starts getting loaded. After a short time full throttle runs start. From what i've seen this will do about 90% of the ring seating. Works very well.

I like to use good oil from the get go, makes no sense to run **** oil in your brand new engine no matter how new or old it is!!
Old 10-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there's really no such thing as "**** oil". it all works just as good. especially if youre just going to have it in there for ~50 miles.

(not comparing dyno to synthetic)
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (mike93eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike93eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's really no such thing as "**** oil". it all works just as good.

(not comparing dyno to synthetic)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd consider "**** oil" to be anything with an API circle on the back. But thats just my opinion. I run whatever oil in my stock daily driver civic, but based off what i've observed i'll no longer continue to run common "SM" shelf oils in my race motor.