Notices

What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 08:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine?

I was wondering what was the first problem that you had? Small things like head gaskets blowing, or something big like the the block shattering in half, or a rod snapping.

Do you guys run into problems like oil line leaking and things like that?
Old 05-31-2002, 12:19 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (Snafu-Si)

Ring lands / headgasket
Old 05-31-2002, 03:50 AM

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (dbman96)

I can certainly vouch for that one! I'm in complete rebuild phase because of it.
Old 05-31-2002, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (Hybrid)

search......this was discussed just a few days prior
Old 05-31-2002, 07:00 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (int3gra)

Yeah, my headgasket is fawked up. I will be changing it here as soon as the gasket gets here!
Old 06-01-2002, 09:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (97CivicFerio)

It is a good idea to get a new headgasket when installing a turbo? If so, how much do they run... and where are good ones to get???
Old 06-01-2002, 09:40 AM
New User

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (Snafu-Si)

If you have the money to spend you can get the greddy 2mm head gasket, they are around $200, if not your probably dont need to replace it if/when your stock gasket blows, usually a stock gasket is anywhere from $18-$57 depending on the engine (im assuming sohc)

You can get great prices on gaskets (and other honda parts) at http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/ I got new pistons and rings from them awhile back for a great price and they arrived at my doorstep 3 days later

And as far as problems go, I have had my #3 and #4 piston ringlands go bye bye, and a few of my friends have had either their ringlands go or a headgasket or a spun rod bearing

But then again we are all a bit nutty and running 10-12psi on stock blocks, if you keep boost on a stock block at a more reasonable level say 5-7psi with good fuel management etc, your stock block should last many many miles
Old 06-01-2002, 08:42 PM

First thing? ringlands. i KNEW i heard detonation, but a friend of mine convinced me it wasnt. Guess he was wrong
Everything else survived fine, i'm in the process of breaking in some new pistons.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:43 PM

BTW, much love to your chrono trigger avatar
RPGs of today dont have **** on the classics.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:03 PM

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (From Chaos)

Ringlands/headgasket. Mine blew 2 days before I went to the race track down at MIR for the Imstar Racing Event. I got 6th place with blown ringlands/gasket . I am trying to drop my built motor in by June 9th but the shop keeps on F(%)* up and does not have the pistons and rods yet. So if my car is ready by June 9th I will be at the 2nd Imstar Event.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:17 AM

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (Civicdrgrcr)

If you mind my asking, those who blew stuff up could you post your fuel setup/boost at that time? if you did anything stupid or any info would help... we only learn from others mistakes.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:35 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (From Chaos)

BTW, much love to your chrono trigger avatar
RPGs of today dont have **** on the classics.
Thanks. Have you played ChronoCross? It was pretty decent for a sequel, only seeing Crono once in the ChronoCross was done well. A worthy sequel, I don't know if you have played it or not.

I can't wait for ChronoBreak. 3rd installment of the series.

I'd say on the SNES... my fav RPGS would have to be either ChronoTrigger, or Final Fantasy III (VI) whatever you like to call it.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm going to be running about 7-8 psi on a stock motor with Hondata tune by Payn Tech. I'm hoping to make my car very realible while still using stock parts for the time being. i don't drive very hard, quite modest really.
I want my car to be as realibe as I can make it with a turbo in a stock engine. I drive it everyday to work, and in the winter so making it last is important to me.

I'm planning on going internals in about 2 years after I get my turbo installed. Since I only drive 10,000-12,000 miles a year, I think that will be fine... I hope.
I have a 99 Civic Si and I have 31,XXX miles on it, so in about 2 years, I'll be around 52,000-55,000 miles on it.

What do you guys think? Think I'll be okay for the time being?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:43 AM
New User

Yeah, as long as the tuning is good which it should be if you go to Payne.
Old 06-02-2002, 07:02 AM

Default Re: What is the most common problem with running boost on a stock internal engine? (97CivicFerio)

sounds safer than most to me

good luck
Old 06-02-2002, 07:16 AM

Mine started letting go at a little over 10psi, but the main problem was my lack of timing retard. I'm using the Vafc mod, and so is my good friend (who is running over 10psi on a D15 mini-me). I foolishly still had it at 16deg btdc, and couple that with 10.4:1 compression I guess there was only one way for me to learn. If you have it at only 7-8psi, there is not much of a chance you will blow your motor unless the tuning is -really- fugged.
About chrono cross, i own it but i've only played it for a few hours.
My favorites are Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3/6, Secret of Mana, Illusion of Gaia, etc. The Breath of fine series was also great.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:34 AM

12:1 FMU
B&M Fuel Pressure Regulator
Fields SFC
310 RC Injectors
I leaned out because I took 5th gear close to redline and my SFC resetted to 0 because my battery died on me. I have the old kind Fields SFC the small ugly one, but hey it gets the work done. Plus my chameleon eyes were not working properly that day, 1 eye always on the gauges the other eye on the road, then you get skilled enough to do crazy stuff, look at girls with one eye, see a fly flying behind you etc...

LEARN TO USE YOUR CHAMELEON EYES!