Notices

What is that max power that.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is that max power that.....

...the td04h 15g turbo that comes with the d16z6 GReddy kit can make?
Old 04-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What is that max power that..... (EX-T)

depends on the tuner alot cant say i have much exp with single cam kits. sry.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What is that max power that..... (EX-T)

You'll hit ~240 whp before that turbo is maxxed out. It really has nothing to do with the tuner (unless something is horribly horribly wrong) and more to do with what dyno the car is strapped to.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: What is that max power that..... (Joseph Davis)

what i was saying is that some tuners are a little better at fine tuning.

for instance:
my car 84mm b16 t3t67ho 1200cc injectors.
i made 540 on it.

friends car
81mm b16 my turbo 1000 cc injectors
another tuner made 594 at the same boost i made 540 on.

all i am saying is that one tuner can make xxx hp. a great tuner may make more. thats all i am saying. both were tuned on a dynapac.

not stepping on toes.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is that max power that..... (boostedcivicsir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what i was saying is that some tuners are a little better at fine tuning.

for instance:
my car 84mm b16 t3t67ho 1200cc injectors.
i made 540 on it.

friends car
81mm b16 my turbo 1000 cc injectors
another tuner made 594 at the same boost i made 540 on.

all i am saying is that one tuner can make xxx hp. a great tuner may make more. thats all i am saying. both were tuned on a dynapac.

not stepping on toes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

and what turbo did your friend have, engine health and setup plays a big role in that too, whether its a new build or not.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:24 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: What is that max power that..... (SPOOLINmatt)

my turbo the same one i used.
the only thing i cant account for is engine health. mine was 3 years old.
same basic setup we used my turbo and intercooler
mine / his
hondata s200b / neptune
84mm sleeved b16 / stock bore b16
9:1 je pistons / 9:1 ross pistons
stock cranks
gsr cams / itr intake-gsr exh
vic x manifold / skunk 2
f-r ram horn / love fab
3" dp on both.

again not starting an argument, my bore should have made up for engine health. at the end of the season, i had 180 across the board.

the difference is where afr's were. my tuner, being his first time tuning over 750's, the afr's were conservative. low 11's.

his tuner, a well known one here. no name dropping, got it done faster, cleaner and made more pwer at the same boost.

thats all i am saying.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those differences could be caused by any number of things - different dyno, your engine builder was drunk when bored your #4 cylinder and as such the rings aren't sealling as well, your turbo manifold has less of an OMG JDM shallow merge to it than your buddy's does, etc.

I generally disregard hp per psi numbers. If the car is running correctly then they mean nothing. 540 whp in a stock weight 88-89 ED chassis is a solid nine second car, unless you're still fighting the T67 being a laggy pile that spins down between shifts, or the powerband is too peaky so you aren't making good consistent power across your operating rpm range.

For the case in point, the 15G, it flows about 24 lbs/min worth of air. This translates to about 240 whp. If flow through the engine (D-series, I ASSume) is restrictive, you make this power at 17-18 psi. If flow through the engine is not, you make this power at 14-15 psi. The brass tacks of the situation is that it's going to provide at most 24 lbs of air, with maybe some small single digit % increases if you spent $3000 in volumetric efficiency parts like merge manifolds and big plenum IMs, in which case you could have just spent $400 more on a much bigger turbo and made a lot more power.

Last T67 car I raced, I ASSumed 650-700. When I didn't smell racegas I ASSumed 450ish as well as peaky and hard to drive, and unlimbered my wallet. At no point in time did I care what fancy pants crap was bolted to the car aside from the turbo itself, as that is where your power comes from.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry mikey,
u missing one important difference
10.6 compression ross
not 9. to 1

and age is mine was older bout 4yrs old now (4-5)cant remember
but has only been boosted for bout 3yrs

hope this helps
CR can make a big difference in power

Dan
Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Default Re: What is that max power that..... (nasteboyii)

either i missed that or just flat out forgot.

I STAND CORRECTED.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is that max power that..... (Joseph Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Joseph Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those differences could be caused by any number of things - different dyno, your engine builder was drunk when bored your #4 cylinder and as such the rings aren't sealling as well, your turbo manifold has less of an OMG JDM shallow merge to it than your buddy's does, etc.

I generally disregard hp per psi numbers. If the car is running correctly then they mean nothing. 540 whp in a stock weight 88-89 ED chassis is a solid nine second car, unless you're still fighting the T67 being a laggy pile that spins down between shifts, or the powerband is too peaky so you aren't making good consistent power across your operating rpm range.

For the case in point, the 15G, it flows about 24 lbs/min worth of air. This translates to about 240 whp. If flow through the engine (D-series, I ASSume) is restrictive, you make this power at 17-18 psi. If flow through the engine is not, you make this power at 14-15 psi. The brass tacks of the situation is that it's going to provide at most 24 lbs of air, with maybe some small single digit % increases if you spent $3000 in volumetric efficiency parts like merge manifolds and big plenum IMs, in which case you could have just spent $400 more on a much bigger turbo and made a lot more power.

Last T67 car I raced, I ASSumed 650-700. When I didn't smell racegas I ASSumed 450ish as well as peaky and hard to drive, and unlimbered my wallet. At no point in time did I care what fancy pants crap was bolted to the car aside from the turbo itself, as that is where your power comes from.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Time to sell the GReddy and get a bigger snail!!!!!