Notices

What does GREDDY or DRAG do with the IAT sensor on d16y8 engines?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does GREDDY or DRAG do with the IAT sensor on d16y8 engines?

OK i've searched and so many debates as weather to put the IAT on the intake tube near the manifold or between turbo/intake... some say that you get code 13 from the hotter air in the charge piping... some say the engine needs the hotter air for running rich etc.

this is BULLSHIT

someone either tell me where to put it and a damn well good reason or tell me what the kits do?

also, for people who have my d16y8 engine, what did you do with the 3rd hose... not the breather one, the other one.. wtf is that one anyway?
Old 07-22-2003, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What does GREDDY or DRAG do with the IAT sensor on d16y8 engines? (2000vsm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000vsm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK i've searched and so many debates as weather to put the IAT on the intake tube near the manifold or between turbo/intake... some say that you get code 13 from the hotter air in the charge piping... some say the engine needs the hotter air for running rich etc.

this is BULLSHIT

someone either tell me where to put it and a damn well good reason or tell me what the kits do?

also, for people who have my d16y8 engine, what did you do with the 3rd hose... not the breather one, the other one.. wtf is that one anyway?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yah i'd like to know also. mine's just been dangling for the last 10 months fine. no codes. runs fine. ran it with the vafc hack and now with the hondata no problems on either. but it's rather unsightly hehe. the third hose... i ran it back to my intake pipe like so...

Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 PM

Hey, so you left your breather open, that stupid 3rd hose into the pipe between filter/turbo....

cool... ok can you take closer pics of your oil feed, i want to see how you mounted the tee to your BLOCK, i can kinda see it near the fuel rail on the right... not really.. also take some pics of the way you tied strap the line... i see your turbo is using a banjo fitting for oil feed as well... and a/c is ok..not bad.. and people keep saying "you gotta junk your A/C!!!" bullshit again...

also can you explain how you route your charge pipe without going through the hold where stock intake resonator thing is? i'm assuming this is because you don't have intercooler?
Old 07-22-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Re: (2000vsm)

nice.. i see the air horns.. i got blue ones but i mounted in my bumper! lol they are ******* loud

and hey, WTF you sstanding on your car!! get off the car!! lol
Old 07-22-2003, 04:23 PM

holy ****, went through your site.. exactly same **** as me man... even sporting the stupid ex hubcaps like me hahaha

hey your setup is good but messy.. i like it though... way better than my friend's 92-95 civic coupe which he hacked away the A/C and other parts of the car to fit a turbo smaller than yours... funny
Old 07-22-2003, 05:13 PM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: What does GREDDY or DRAG do with the IAT sensor on d16y8 engines? (CivicRyda2k)

ok, just go to home depot to the electrical department and get the little o grommets that are the internal diameter of your IAT sensor (you'll have to pull it off the car after you cut it off in the parking lot).

then once back home take off the s-hose (one with the filter on it) and between the filter opening and the valve cover breather hose fitting drill a hole so that the grommet will fit in place so you can put in the IAT.

at first with my greddy kit I had my IAT hole drilled into the upper charge pipe about where it was stock on the oem airbox hosing...this was bad juju cause no matter how tight I had it...the boost pressure would POP it out even at only 5psi

anyway, I just extended the wires on the IAT long enough so that I could stick it in the s-hose and all is well. now the car idles better on cold starts and runs a tad less rich before it warms up which is always a plus...
Old 07-22-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Re: What does GREDDY or DRAG do with the IAT sensor on d16y8 engines? (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, just go to home depot to the electrical department and get the little o grommets that are the internal diameter of your IAT sensor (you'll have to pull it off the car after you cut it off in the parking lot).

then once back home take off the s-hose (one with the filter on it) and between the filter opening and the valve cover breather hose fitting drill a hole so that the grommet will fit in place so you can put in the IAT.

at first with my greddy kit I had my IAT hole drilled into the upper charge pipe about where it was stock on the oem airbox hosing...this was bad juju cause no matter how tight I had it...the boost pressure would POP it out even at only 5psi

anyway, I just extended the wires on the IAT long enough so that I could stick it in the s-hose and all is well. now the car idles better on cold starts and runs a tad less rich before it warms up which is always a plus...</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i did too... works great
Old 07-22-2003, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2000vsm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000vsm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hey, so you left your breather open, that stupid 3rd hose into the pipe between filter/turbo....
cool... ok can you take closer pics of your oil feed, i want to see how you mounted the tee to your BLOCK, i can kinda see it near the fuel rail on the right... not really.. also take some pics of the way you tied strap the line... i see your turbo is using a banjo fitting for oil feed as well... and a/c is ok..not bad.. and people keep saying "you gotta junk your A/C!!!" bullshit again...

also can you explain how you route your charge pipe without going through the hold where stock intake resonator thing is? i'm assuming this is because you don't have intercooler?</TD></TR></TABLE>

my oil feed setup goes like this. i have a 1/8"npt-to-4AN fitting in the block, then 6" of -4AN line, then the Tee fitting with the sensor, then 4ft of line to the turbo. It's not a banjo fitting on the oil feed line, it's a 1/8"npt-to-4an fitting screwed into the turbo. You only have to "junk" the a/c if ur manifold/turbo setup and/or downpipe doesn't allow it to fit. I do have a front mount intercooler. the charge pipe goes down on the inside of the bay, then a 90 degree elbow and a ubend around to the front bumper.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2000vsm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
nice.. i see the air horns.. i got blue ones but i mounted in my bumper! lol they are ******* loud
and hey, WTF you sstanding on your car!! get off the car!! lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

yah i was standing on it to get a good picture

holy ****, went through your site.. exactly same **** as me man... even sporting the stupid ex hubcaps like me hahaha
hey your setup is good but messy.. i like it though... way better than my friend's 92-95 civic coupe which he hacked away the A/C and other parts of the car to fit a turbo smaller than yours... funny</TD></TR></TABLE>

the setup is cleaned up a lot more. the wiring especially. if u look at the other pics. yah i used to have ex hubcaps. now the car looks like this but with a carbon fiber hood:
Old 07-23-2003, 06:22 AM

Default Re: (CivicRyda2k)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=562357

Old 07-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (CzanSOHC)

With the stock ECU....put the IAT before the turbo. That's where my Edelbrock turbo kit puts it.