Notices

well thought out high cpr fi questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well thought out high cpr fi questions

ok so to start off i would like to say i believe this is a topic many overlook i am no expert actually looking for peeps to fill gaps and correct wrongs in my knowledge.

ok so first my engine b18b block, gsr head, pr3 pistons, type r crank, gsr rods
zeal auto werks has a calc for b engines which claims its a 12.03:1 compression (while my engine builder could be wrong he says 11 7 1) my engine was tuned at lth at about 190hp since then it has has a jdm type r trans installed

My first thought was to cam it but........ is it possible to stay at my current compression ever so slightly boost to create more power more resonably?

what i have put together why low boost is EASIER to boost
ok so here is where most of my thinking has really been. so givin that turbo is running good and all here what goes on in the engine. 1. turbo raises compression 2. premature combustion is what causes unreliability in FI engines. 3. premature combustion is caused by to much compression causing fuel to combust. ([B]now i have no idea where fuel comes into play[B]) so from this i can MAYBE conclude a engine with a lower compression premature combust at 18psi boost while mine is maybe 6psi(just examples) so its easier to tune down the low cpr one cause you could maybe go like 13 14 for dd and stay safe were that about same proportion goiong from 6 to 5 at mine and the abiltiy for a waste gate to control psi that precise may be harder?

questions i can think of: how do i determin prmature combustion rate of 93 pump gas

ok and this is what i really wanna know!
my engine cpr at varius psi
1psi=12.85:1
2psi=13.67:1
3psi=14.49:1
4psi=15.30:1

could i get better bang for the buck with a low psi boost on my engine staying a comfortable distance away from pre mature combustion to use at a daily ( even if this means 2 or 3 psi)
please all the help i can get and maybe what i can expect. i gather i can get around 215-220 camming it so really anything past 250hp reliable would be more than great for me maybe thicker head gasket could lower compression just a tad (think i have oem)

o and one more thing no your compressions to high don do it i would like thought in your answers as i put alot in my reason for considering this upgrade and any other info to gett me there would be great
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: well thought out high cpr fi questions

first bold ment low compression
Old 04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want to be taken seriously use sewhat proper grammar and sentence structure. Your garbage is barely readable, but with that being said: your questions are horrible. I can assure you the answers are easily searchable in the FAQ. Read this first as you don't even have the basics down yet...
Old 04-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I understand the higher the compression the more HP per lb. of boost. Also your car will be very responsive out of boost. But with that high of a c/r I would recommend E85 or a water meth kit to make sure the is no detonation. But with that low of a power goal it may be possible on pump. Correct me if I'm wrong here but when it comes to pre-ignition/detonation it's the dynamic c/r that matters or that at a certain dynamic c/r there will be detonation. So in a motor with a low c/r it will take more boost to get there than an engine with a high c/r but it should be at roughly the same power level given all other factors are the same
Old 04-07-2013, 04:50 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're talking about effective compression which is sometimes called dynamic compression. Here are a few articles:
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...pression_ratio
https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-motor-naturally-aspirated-44/how-calculate-effective-compression-ratio-2683949/
http://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-e...ion-ratio.html

The Zealworks calculator can help you determine this value.
http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What fuel are you running? What fuels do you have access to/ intend to use?

This will determine ultimatly what your able to do with boosting your 12:1 motor.

It is reasonable to and safe to boost that motor to 300 whp assuming you have E85 or 93 with water/meth and a very good tuner.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i would be using 93 pump gas and the boost levels i posted i believe werethe dynamic compression thanks for goodinfo got it from zealwerks
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahhahahahaha think its so funny first guy icon is hateraid