Notices

Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup

Ok, you guys might recall I posted up 240 whp on a turbo B18C5 @ 6 psi... the numbers seemed low and I've had lag problems all along. My fears came true today when I did a compression test... I need new pistons/rods at the very least. These are the numbers if anyone cares: 1-4: 210, 175, 180, 200. Cylinder 2 is obviously in bad shape somehow... so here are my options:

1.) Buy new pistons/rods/rings, put them in the block and be done with it.
2.) Sell the C5, buy (insert block here) sleeve it, bore it (if necessary), p/r/r.
3.) Sleeve/bore the C5, drop in an LS crank, custom rods, pistons, rings.

I'm lookin at cost vs potential here. The cheapest route would probably be selling the C5 block, but I don't know where I should go from there - LS block, B20, GSR... etc... That's where I need you guys, what should I do for #2? That's the route i'm almost definitely gonna go, I just need to know options since I haven't done much of a true hybrid motor before. Any advice is greatly appreciated. The road to 400 whp begins tonight... EV.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (ElectronVTEC)

the designation that it is a c5 block means nothing considering u have to rip out the pistions anyway... just as god as a gsr block
Old 03-17-2002, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (ElectronVTEC)

well buddy, I had the same problem, I blew the ringland out my B18C1, my compressions number was 1-4 : 220 100 215 215

at that point, I was serioulsy thiking of just replacing all the rings for about 100 bucks, run hondata and be done with it, but I have made up my mind to just go ahead and get the block sleeved, get piston, rods and etc.

cost VS potential, sleeving the block is wayyyy over the cost part of the argument, but as far as potential wise, I have always wanted to sleeve my block, so I might as well get it done one time.

one option that Arturbo and Direp972 came up with for me, was to just get a LS long block for 700ish, drop it in, install the turbo back in and take your time on building the block if money is an issue to spend all at one time..

I was gonna get a GS-R short block, but they're kinda hard to find.

so, just look at what you can spend, and go from there and think about how much downtime you can afford..

good luck

stan
Old 03-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (Bad Tom)

Oh, I realize that... my question is would building the C5 be a better alternative to getting a B18A, B20, etc... The only thing about getting a new block and selling my current one is a matter of money, I could easily get $1200 out of this block which would almost pay for a new block, pistons, rods, rings, and the sleeving would come out of my pocket. I just don't know the advantages/disadvantages of my alternatives. Peace, EV.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

build the engine like immortal was building his, and it will be badass. There was too much to list so I am not going to.

Sorry to hear about the engine.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (Flamenco-T)

Downtime's not much of an issue. I've got a good 2nd car and I'd rather do the block properly than run a half-*** turbo Honda, as you all would agree I'm sure. I'll see if I can find a decent non-vtec shortblock to run while I build the C5 possibly, that seems to be a good idea. Thanks a bunch man... EV.
Old 03-17-2002, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good, if you want to do it all the way, do it right, take your time..

good luck...

I am so lucky I have a lot of friends who helped me and supported me, it seems like they care about my car as much as I am... you guys know who you are...
Old 03-17-2002, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (94hondahybrid)

Honestly if you can find one get one of the old b21 (older prelude si) sleeves, pistons, rods, rings, etc. on that.
I have never seen anyone actually try this but everyone I have ever talked to says that the old prelude B engines are horrible for performance and reliability after they are turbocharged. Just wondering if oyu or anyone you have seen has actually done this or if it is just an idea you had?
Old 03-17-2002, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well, apparently its decision time... questions about motor buildup (blkwidw96)

Yea, I too am lucky to have friends that care about my car as much as I do and conversely, I'd do anything I could to help them out. This stuff is frustrating enough to begin with, having support (like this place) always helps. Peace, EV.