Notices

weird quesion about how an IC can be used

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird quesion about how an IC can be used

would it be possible to use an intercooler in place of an air filter??

i was over my friend's house earlier and while we were taking a break from our 8 on 8 Halo kill frenzy, we got to talking about cars and i told him about my plans for adding a turbo to my car. i told him i was still undecided on what turbo i'm going to use so in the mean time, i'll be getting the other things i'll need... SMC, injectors, oil lines, fuel pump, and intercooler. that's when he asked me if it would be possible to use the IC in place of the air filter.

his logic- an intercooler is needed in place of a regular air filter because the turbo makes the air going to the intake manifold heat up more than regular and the intercooler is made to cool the air.

so basically, while i'm waiting to get the rest of the parts i need, i should just mount the intercooler, get the intake piping coming from the intake manifold to the IC fitted and put on, and cap the end of the IC that leads to the turbo. at the time, he was high but i couldn't come up with a reason why it wouldn't work. i wasn't there when they smoked so i was thinking clearly. can someone tell me if this would work and why or why not?
Old 10-25-2002, 05:21 PM

Default Re: weird quesion about how an IC can be used (SimonsTeg)

sorry wont work.... air doesnt get sucked in threw the front of an intercooler....... air is pushed threw the interccoler by the turbo and the air passing threw the front of the intercooler cools it.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:00 PM

thanx for the input. i knew there had to be a reason why it wouldn't work. i mean, if it did, i think people would already have been doing it seeing as how an intercooler cools the air more than an air filter. thanx again.
Old 10-25-2002, 06:08 PM

at the time, he was high

for those who don't catch what i'm implying by bringing this point out in bold......if your friends are high, don't let them try and talk you into doing something with your car's engine, mm'kay?
Old 10-25-2002, 06:12 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: weird quesion about how an IC can be used (zoomintegra)

thanks for pointing that out...i was trying to figure out why i felt dumber the more i read the post.
Old 10-25-2002, 07:14 PM

Default Re: weird quesion about how an IC can be used (zoomintegra)

at the time, he was high

for those who don't catch what i'm implying by bringing this point out in bold......if your friends are high, don't let them try and talk you into doing something with your car's engine, mm'kay?
HAHAHA!